Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 12 volt to 6 for radio what to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, May 6, 2017.

1. BJR

BJR

1949 Buick tube type original radio, 6 volt. What type of reducer do I need to run this on 12 volt. I already have made the runtz voltage reducer for my gauges, but the radio draws way more power. Show me what to make, or what to buy please.

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Interesting, isn't the radio positive ground? I know radios back then used vibrators (no jokes pliz) as voltage multipliers or rectifiers or somesuch. I'm sure there are folks here who can help you out but might consider asking the vintage radio folks. Some smart cookies on that stuff.

http://www.antiqueradios.com

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You need one of those 4'' square Mallory Volt-A-Drops with the dedicated radio post if you can find one. That Buick flash draws a bunch of amps when started cold.

4. Google DROK for 6/12 volt inverters. Purchase it from Amazon.

5. BJR

BJR

Buick 6 volt radio is negative ground if that helps.

6. image.gif
    You can use this circuit, but use a 7806 instead of a 7805. Using a TIP2955 will give you 15Amps, with a heatsink. Measure your current draw on 6volts, with the volume turned up, to see if this circuit is enough (it should be, but I have never measured a valve radio current draw). The vibrators used in the car radios were used to get a voltage which was higher than 12 volts, to run the high tension circuits for the valves (around 90-150 volts).
    They were not pink and 10 speed, just a tin can with contacts on one end.

7. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Can't you put a 6 volt battery in the trunk and run it off that? I realize you would have to charge it occasionally but that's not too difficult.

I bought a completely original '50 Studebaker several years ago and the seller had put a 12 volt battery in the trunk to run his CB radio off of when he and some buddies drove their Studes from Indiana to Oregon and back which is where I got that idea. Good luck....

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Take a center tap off your 12v battery.

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Sometimes you can do a 6 to 12 volt radio conversion, by changing vibrator to 12 volt type, AND changing the tubes to 12 volt filament type. This would be the most efficient changeover. If you have the schematic for the radio, please post and I can then give you substitutes to use.

10. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

if you use a voltage "dropper," they get hot...

11. cb186

cb186

Try giving Greg at S&M Electro Tech(http://www.turnswitch.com/index.htm) a call and see what he has to say. Was just there this morning to drop off my 52 Ford Hi Fidelity.