Register now to get rid of these ads!

12 volt heater fan motor in a 51 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patch, Nov 5, 2011.

1. patch

patch

Okay Guys & Gals ... I have a stock 51 Merc that's been converted to 12 volt and I'm wanting to go with a 12 volt heater motor. The stock one has a ground and two lead wires ... I'm assuming one is for lo and the other for hi speed. I put in a 2 wire 12 volt motor ... one ground and the other hot ... we tested the motor to confirm that it works. Installed it ~ hit the blower switch ~ I heard a slight noise as if it was starting to spin .... nothing !!!! Now I'm wondering if I might have blown a fuse ... what ??? pretty tight under the dash, couldn't see any inline fuses or whatever ... what am I missing here, any suggestions would be muchly appreciated ... tks.

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If you're no sure of the hot wire and ground try reversing the wire connections

3. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

Not sure if this will apply with the body style change, but I finally got around to fixing the wiring and getting my heater working on my '52 ford this spring. According to my shop manual (for 52 ford car) the original motor had 3 wires, black for ground, orange for fast, red for slow. The switch side shows a black feed wire with a 20amp fuse along the way, I seem to remember it connects to the ignition switch for power, and the "other side" of the switch to the red and orange wires directly to the motor. My switch is a pull-out style with 2 positions for the 2 speeds, similar to a headlight switch.

Not sure if it helps, but may be a good starting point. Mine is still running 6volt btw.

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Did you re-check the motor from the battery to make sure it still works ? Might not be the fan ! Could be the switch or a fuse . If it's the fuse , remember it's a bad fuse for a reason ! I would unhook the 2 wires at the fan and test it again to make sure it works .

Retro Jim

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011