Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 12 Volt conversion for a flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MaxMüs, Jan 16, 2019.

1. MaxMüs

MaxMüs
    from Germany

I need your help please.
    I bought a conversion Kit in the states for my `36 Ford Coupe with a 8BA flathead.
    For the conversion I have to change the electric from positive ground to negative ground and so I don`t know which wire goes to which port.
    Where do I connect the two wire from the 12 volt field coils ( I mark they grey (2) and yellow (3) in the pics attached).
    Where do I connect the wire ( brown (1)) from the brushes plate? It is a 3 brushes - one is broken.
    What wire goes on the batterie?
    On the regulator (Type B for Ford) I have three ports: "L" and "BAT" and "F"
    Which wires go on this ports?
    What wire goes on the batterie?
    It would be great if you have a circuit diagramm for me.
    Many thanks for your help!
    Greetings
    Marco

Attached Files:

2. Garpo

Garpo

Generator you have shown is 3 brush type, normally used with a cut-out. (3 brush was original for '36) It is possible to convert this to 12V but I would recommend finding a later 2 brush style. (38 on Flathead, there are a couple of versions,)
    To swap 2 brush style usually only needs a pair of 12V field coils. Probably the new coils you have purchased?
    Or, find a 12V generator from a USA ford made from mid 50's to mid 60's, use the body and armature with '38 on style end plates, job done.
    I cheated - used a '70s era small alternator with internal regulator. About 30 -35 A max. Not for everybody, but works good for me
    Garpo

3. town sedan

town sedan

4. MaxMüs

MaxMüs
    from Germany

Many thanks for your help!
    The problem is, that I need a generator with the fan-pulley.
    So I would like to converse this generator...
    Greetings from Germany
    Marco 20180209_123617_resized.jpg

5. Garpo

Garpo

Way long time ago we converted on of these.
    Found a set of field coils that would fit, probably Lucas . Worked in an auto parts store so we went through what we had in stock until we found a match. Used two main brushes only. Connected same as Ford or Lucas system, one end of field to ground, other to regulator.
    Needed a few extra revs to start charging, but worked OK.
    Sorry cannot remember exactly which fields we used -- it was 40 years ago. Suggest you try and find Lucas C39, C40, or C45 generators to dismantle. All common 40 years ago ;)
    Garpo