Register now to get rid of these ads!

12 Spoke Help Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PFF, Sep 8, 2003.

1. PFF

PFF
    from UK

I got lucky at the weekend, managed to pick up a set of 18’ spindle mounts. One of them has a bend in the rim, and a cracked spoke. Can any one please help with advice on how to repair this?

Thanks Pete

2. purple

purple

<font color="purple"> I would assume they are Magnesium. SOL buddy. Can't weld that. </font>

3. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

the AVERAGE welder can not weld those but they can be welded by someone who knows what they are doing. give Hotroddrummer's dad a call, i spoke with him before about welding magnesium and he has done it before and knows the tricks to doing it successfully. you know, without blowing yourself up. he was a die welder at GM for 30 some odd years and now owns the Ionia Hot Rod Shop. a better welder i have NEVER seen and i've worked with some damn good welders. the shop number is 616-527-6051.

i don't know what you paid but i just sold my set for $900 and i've seen em go on Ebay for just over a grand. keep in mind not many people can or will weld that stuff so even if it costs you a few hundred bucks it's still worth it.

good luck.

Mike

Attached Files:

4. LIMEY

LIMEY

Were they the ones on Pop Parts Plus?

5. PFF

PFF
    from UK

Mike, thanks for your help, Ill give him a call and see what he says. I paid $225.00 for the pair, I reckon as you say even if it costs a few hundred to repair them Ill still be winning.
    Have you ever heard of any one straightening these? I know you can do cast bike wheels.
    32 Limey, yep they were the ones on Pop Part stall, I don’t know the history on them, reckon they came of an old race car that hit the armco.

6. If the repair doesn't work out, I have a friend looking for one 18 inch 12 spoke for the front of his Harley. E mail me if you're interested in selling...

7. gasser

gasser

Pete I can get it welded for you. One of the sprints on the front of my van has been welded as part of the rim was missing, tyre lever damage. I had to buy half a kilo of mag alloy rods and still have them so could just get the guy to do it. Don't know about the bent bit though, would have to see it.