Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 12 bolt drum fit a 10 bolt axle? Need 6 lug!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by djtwigsta, Jul 29, 2016.

1. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

I currently have a 1974 Nova posi axle (perfect size) and decided not to convert the front kneeaction front end on my 38 Chevy master deluxe meaning I would need 6 lug rear conversion. The shaft is easy but I can't seem to find any drums that will bolt up. Is there a particular year of 12 bolt rear drums that will? Or do I need to start over with another axle that would need to be shortened? Thanks!!!

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why not just swap the front brakes to 49/54 brakes and have 5 lug all around? It's been done thousands of times.
    You do need to mix and match inner wheel brearings but it is an easy swap.

3. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

[​IMG]

So I can swap the front... Been awhile since I've been in there but I recall the kneeaction makes it difficult to just swap.

4. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

[​IMG]

Can see lack of drum here up front... the current one is 6 lug. I also have 6 lug artilleries I'd like to use.

5. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

6. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

I have 10" drums... but cant find a backing plate to match... that would be the easiest right now.

7. F&J

F&J

Can you tell us what 6 lug axle shaft is easy? Do you have these shafts?

Trying to understand how far along the Nova rear changeover is so far..

8. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

The shafts are already made and installed.... only thing done so far on the Nova axle beside being installed on the car... I have 9.5" drums with backing plates but I cant find any 9.5" drums that take 6 lug... found 10" drums but no backing plates that mate. Heard that 12 bolt axles drums would work (I think these are 11") but not sure on what years (assume a mid 70's GMC, C10, etc.) or if the back plates would mate. I'm back peddling due to not converting the front to 5 lug as initially expecting.

9. F&J

F&J

squirrel may know of a solution for your drums, but the 12 bolt truck rear is not the same internals as car 12 bolts.

The C10 drums are 11 that I have worked with. I want to say 11x2? But not sure on all the different C10 rears:
    -63 C10 is a mongrel rear, "axle shafts" are 1 year only.
    -64-69 C10 are one length of axle and is roughly 1.5" total narrower rear end, than 70-up
    -70 10 went to the wider rear but stayed w/6 lugs on all 2wd/4wd
    -71 C10 went to front discs and 2wd got 5 lugs, but 4x4 were still 6 lug, these rears are that 1.5 wider than 64-69, and that width went through to 1987. (the suburban kept that rear for 2 more years with the older bodystyle). So, 4x4 is needed for anything newer than 70.

-but the rears did change internals and axle details in the middle of that 73-87 body style. The case was enlarged for the huge pinion gear to get down to 2.5 rear ratios. The axles changed a bit in that era, and was splines or something like that.

there must have been brake width changes I would guess.

Sorry I can't help figure what you need at this point.

10. cshades

cshades
    from wi

if you already have the shafts why not redrill the drums to match the shafts?

11. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

So went with Moser Big Drum 11" upgrade and had the drums themselves stamped for 6 lug from a blank.. Fixed the issue for anybody coming across this thread with a similar issue...

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rigorously check that frame where the front crossmember attaches.

I have yet to find one that did not have at least one crack. Better to fix it now....

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I would 'deep six' that Dubonnet knee-action monstrosity in a heartbeat. Anything would be a better choice than leaving it in place, in my opinion of course...:D

A stock '37 to '40 I beam axle and leaf springs should not be too difficult to locate, or '41 thru '48 Chevy IFS if you sort of original. All six lug hubs and an easy retrofit.

Ray