Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Midwest Drag Racing in Color circa 1965

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Midwest Drag Racing in Color circa 1965

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Some great footage and great cars. I need a time machine.
    Thanks for sharing!

3. sololobo

sololobo

What a fun film, I cannot place the track they are at for a Nebraska strip. it may be Julesburg, Co,. where several Nebraska people raced. The Bluffs in the background is why I can't place where it would be. If anyone knows please speak up. Thanx I thought it may be in western Nebraska like the hills around Scottsbluff, I didn't remember a stop being there. Some very cool cars in this film, I love the altered Model A coupe, and I see a Hilborn injected altered coupe as well. They might have been the running of top eliminator for the day. The other oil drilling images also seemed right for that area. A super cool post that was enjoyed.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    das858 likes this.
  4. Could it be Sioux City? My dad raced there. I will show him.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Here's a little more info from the YouTube upload:
    2020-07-14_10-51-17.jpg

6. Scottsbluff was another guess of mine! Funny how Western Nebraska and Easter Colorado are still almost their own country, even to me just living a couple hours North

ruffie tuffshitski likes this.
  7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Way cool! Cant wait to go home and watch this on the big screen! Roots racing in my home state

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Boy that sure brings it back. Take the hubcaps off and run!! Thanks for the memories. Lippy

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Trip back in time, I enjoyed the drags and the dirt track race, memories of my early years.
    Thank you!

10. ruffie tuffshitski

ruffie tuffshitski

Yep, sure looks like Scottsbluff, Ne. About the right location for the airport, east of town/bluffs

kidcampbell71 and Tman like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-9-18_4-24-27.png at 9:02
    upload_2020-9-18_4-25-2.png old Friday Art post

Hello,

Nice find of an old historic drag racing film! If the film was not labeled 1964-65, one would think at the 9:02 mark, it could have been Midwest’s Mike Marinoff. Back then, he was racing his red and white 55 Chevy hardtop. But, the early photos of Mike Marinoff was from 1959-60.
    upload_2020-9-18_4-26-12.png upload_2020-9-18_4-26-27.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-3-23-18.1101529/#post-12494986

Or it could have been this 55 Chevy Bel Air
    upload_2020-9-18_4-27-11.png

Jnaki

The film shows great stock car class racing. In this time early 1960s time period, the Gas Class Coupes were still popular with the spectators, as they still looked like the cars they drove daily. But, the Gas Coupe and Sedan Class was just getting into the “up in the air” stance, as noted in the drag racing circles and street cars. It was transition into an era of experimentation that did nothing, other than pretend that the hot rod/drag race cars had horsepower to raise front end upon acceleration.

By the mid 60s, the noted Gas Coupe and Sedan Class was no more, other than match racing. Or, lumped into the Little Eliminator classes or Middle Eliminator classes. Even then, it was the beginning of the end for the little guys in the ORIGINAL Gas Coupe and Sedan Class racing.

The original Gas Coupe and Sedan Class started to change its 1320 designation to Gas Competition Coupes and Sedans with: stock chassis, legal for the street, any make engine mounted in the stock position. (Supercharging included...SWC, Pittman, Montgomery, etc.) The Competition Coupes as we all knew them, Leffler-Loukas, Dye-Hampton, Bill Colburn were now called: Fuel Modified C/S and Gas Modified C/S to keep the designations different.

Also, by 1964, there was a different class called the Gas Coupe and Sedan class which tried to emulate the old class designation: stock chassis and stock weight, same year block as stock, etc.