Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Plymouth: Trial By Torture!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Plymouth: Trial By Torture!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

My eyesight isn't as good as it once was, but at around 2:00 minutes into the film, the car rolling down the hill is a 1934 Ford sedan, not a Plymouth.

norms30a likes this.
  3. Yep....I'm seeing a Plymouth grille on a Ford ?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-6-25_7-55-10.png 2:01
    upload_2020-6-25_7-55-25.png 2:04

Hello,
    It does look like a 1933-34 Ford grille. But, alas, I tried to clean it up frame by frame and these are the best samples. Why would a Plymouth sponsored test show a sturdy 1934 Ford?

Jnaki
    upload_2020-6-25_8-1-21.png OKC 1947 upload_2020-6-25_8-7-26.png
    Maybe, my wife at age 2 was on to something with her family's 1936 Plymouth Sedan? Ha!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020

5. Why wreck a good car when there was a Ford around that was cheaper and better suited for the job. Director probably had a budget to adhere to. If you look close at most old movies, you rarely see Fords till the crash scenes. Producers and Directors knew what cars held up to the rigors of filming and what cars were throw a-ways.

jakespeed63 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, it looks like a '34 Plymouth to me:p 34a.jpg 34.jpg

7. 34Larry

34Larry

My 1st wife's brother gave me a '35 Coupe. I never got to do any thing to/with it but I really liked the way the fenders were sculpted and the hood side panels. It was a beast for stout with steel much heaver gauge than other brands. As I remember, it drove great, handled great and had plenty of power from the flat six and drive train in it. Some where along it path the trunk lid had been removed and a wooden box like a small P/U bed had been installed. That of course was shit canned and a new deck lid from a local junk yard found and put in by her brother. My younger brother, by four years came to live with us and I gave it to him as he needed transportation to hi-school. He forgot, as did I, to put antifreeze in it and the block cracked. I carted it around to a couple places when I moved but eventually gave it to a welder that wanted it. Never saw it again. upload_2020-6-25_9-33-40.jpeg
    I did however run across another one in Apache Junction Az. at an insurance agency there. It was cool as hell, black with white walls and running like a fine sewing machine. Wish I was a thousand years younger, I'd find one and rod it like my hi-boy coupe, but not hi-boy style.
    upload_2020-6-25_9-33-40.jpeg Tooooooooooo cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

When the car rolls over you can clearly see the the front and back doors are tied together to keep them from opening on impact.
    But when the car is righted the rope magically disappears.

I love the scene in which they show the stunt driver buckling a very thick lap belt to keep him from rolling around like a rag doll in that thing. How many people back then didn't realize this and thought "I'm safe in this car, look how it survived all of that!"

9. Another anomaly is at 4:24 after a rollover and righting the car, the right rear fender is smashed in against the tire. A guy reaches in and casually 'flips' the fender back out. That doesn't look like high-strength steel to me...

There was no doubt some PR hype and vehicle 'doctoring' involved...

jakespeed63 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Tough PLYMOUTH

11. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Everybody is focused on the car, and I'm wondering just how much that guy got paid in 1934 to strap in and tumble over and over? Did he make ten bucks for that days work? Seems like a pretty tough dude!

12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The craziest stunt was the guy riding on the running board of that ambulance.