Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Holy Smokes, it’s the “Hairy Mutha!”

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 27, 2020.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Holy Smokes, it’s the “Hairy Mutha!”

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

sko_ford, Tim, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it...not sure if I'd fit in it...Wait I'll paint my my face Green and stick my head out through the roof and make ghouly Fink snorts and of course being the Choppers my boney arm would be out the window with the axe dragging on the ground...:D

One for the Filled wheelwells Thread to boot...

TGIF @J.Ukrop, thanks for starting it off on a great note sharing that...;)

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  3. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

DAMN!!!! That is Bad ASS!

Stogy likes this.
  4. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One bitchn' sheen , in my book! Thanks for the glimpse!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Stogy likes this.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

Hey I have a T, it is chopped, has a small block, white wall slicks, deuce grille. Somehow, it doesn't quite hit this level. Maybe I need the 4-71.

Stogy and exterminator like this.
  6. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks Joey, nothing like studying the old magazines to put a smile on your face. Those young guys must have had a blast building and racing that sedan.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. belair

belair

Kool Kar. Chop is just right, chain guards are for bicycles and sissies...

Stogy likes this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like it a lot,even though the chop is {cartoon}an damn near unusable by anyone other then young not so talls{but likely that is whats in the club from there CC name. Maybe our clubs in Miami Florida of the 50s an early 60s were older with a little more experienced members,as no one did chops that far for street driving,but there was the exception of a " Crosley drag race only" body by the "Grove Rangers" with about 6 in. high windows on rails with Cady power,I never did see it race or run. I was in 3 other clubs,so only saw it on a clubs tour we did.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. catdad49

catdad49

Don't you just Love those early Popular Hot Rodding mags! Maybe a feature car (or two) , a tech article, and several pages devoted to cars like this. No color, but plenty of content! Maybe that's Why I keep all of my mags! Thanks, Joey.

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  10. X-cpe

X-cpe

Body set back on the frame to make room for the engine gives it that altered wheel base look.

J.Ukrop, Tim and Stogy like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

was just thinking that! Don’t even notice it in that front 3/4 photo.

bet that’s the reason for the filled wheel wells!

J.Ukrop and kevinrevin like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

Hey J,

That is a cool find. It has the Moon Discs that are a favorite of mine since those came out in the early days. That Midwest sedan does have some attitude. The first thing I noticed was the chain driven blower. Reath Automotive did have some early chain driven set ups for the 671 and 471, but they were the first models made for the new superchargers on race cars. Then the Howard Cam Company developed their chain drive with an actual finned cover over the blower chain.

In 1960, we thought about getting a chain drive for a 671 as it was better than the multiple skinny belts that were on the market. Having less slippage was the reason for the closer look at the chain drive. But, by the time we were ready to buy one, the new Isky Gilmer Belt drive system came out and we were now the proud owners of one of the first units.
    upload_2020-3-29_4-39-1.png Reath Automotive
    upload_2020-3-29_4-39-16.png Howard Cam chain drive with finned covers

Out West, the Reath Automotive Model A Sedan gave us the same feeling of being a blast to hear, see and be totally impressed with the build, as well as the staging/racing. The Reath Automotive Model A sedan had many builders, drivers, motors and sponsors over its course of racing at Lions. I was able to film it racing and it was an impressive like the chopped sedan in the title of the story. The Reath Sedan gave no qualms about what class it was racing. It was in the Altered Sedan Class, no questions about it.
    upload_2020-3-29_4-44-36.png There is something to be said about a fender less sedan that has attitude.

Jnaki

The 27 T sedan in the story looks to be a cross over into a street legal, Gas Coupe and Sedan Class from 1959-63. But, those wild headers certainly were not street legal in any sense of the description. As the rules changed, the line was becoming very thin about the street legal rules. So, was it street legal in its class, or did it get bumped into the Altered sedan class, despite the street look and style?
    upload_2020-3-29_4-47-51.png
    Is this model A sedan street legal with a slight engine set back?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-3-27-20.1188628/#post-13503400

At Lions Dragstrip in 1960, the tech committee would have slapped the Altered designation on the red drawing Model A Sedan in an instant, so the 27 T sedan would also be in the same designated class.
    upload_2020-3-29_4-48-30.png
    This version of the Model A Sedan would be in the street legal Gas Coupe and Sedan Class with its similar styling, but legal tucked in exhaust. Although, back then, a street legal coupe/sedan needed fenders… sheesh!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  13. I would think that the exhaust blasting up by the window would get old real quick!

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was born 30 years too late, would love to have been around and participating in the culture back then.

That Kenworth pitman arm looks to be up to the task.

J.Ukrop likes this.