Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Rods, Customs & Coneys: A Detroit Autorama Pictorial

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Feb 28, 2020.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Rods, Customs & Coneys: A Detroit Autorama Pictorial

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a Pleasant Group of Well captured Imagery...It sure looks to be a Pretty Anticipated event for the North Central Hamb Crowd...Maybe next year...Thanks for sharing @J.Ukrop...I like you look forward to the Coverage...Good Luck and thanks to those making it real...

3. Thanks for the update, Joey. Sorry you couldn't stick around. I'll eat a Coney Island dog in your honor..........Don.

Stogy likes this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-2-28_5-19-52.png

Hello,

Nice photos of the show. That story just made my day. "Chili dogs descended on the table..." that made the whole story! Yes! Back in those teenage car show days, we would stop at our local Golden Star hamburger/hot dog place just up the street from our house. The order of the day were 2, foot long chili dogs with all of the trimmings, including a spicy pepper for added flavor. Those were the best chili dogs in the whole of Long Beach. This place was always stuffed with the local hot rod/drag race guys from Joe Mailliard's Shop, then Mickey Thompson's Shop and assorted others. Char broiled hamburgers and hot dogs were the number 1 items for most everyone.

Then the Detroit photos of the Mercury custom sedan and the green Henry J, just added fuel to the fire. When the local girls went to their piano teacher's house with the teacher's Mercury sedan sitting outside, at lunch time, sometimes the teacher would go get some chili dogs and hamburgers for the kids in her house.

Then, later on, after a night of cruising around in the blue Henry J with the 409 that just got finished, the teenagers would stop at the Golden Star for chili dogs. That was a must. Who cared if it was midnight, spicy foods had nothing on teen stomachs. It was mouth watering. Just reading your sentence made those memories come flowing out...
    upload_2020-2-28_5-19-12.png
    Jnaki
    At the time, there was no other place that had such great chili dogs and char broiled hamburgers. The local hot rodders would attest to that. Heck, even my mom would down one chili dog on our visits to the Westside of Long Beach. My wife could easily eat one chili dog and one char broiled hamburger... Those were the 20 something days.

These days we can only think back and smile... Nice story of the car show and the "images" of the mouth watering chili dogs for lunch.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Where's the pictures of the coneys?

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. That's the way you write a story! You had me at hello. :D

slug and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. bchctybob

bchctybob

My favorite chili dogs were from the concession stand at Lion’s Drag Strip. Late night fare was Pigs In a Blanket and coffee with the guys at the Airport Marina Cafe in the bowling alley near LAX. We had a midnight car show Friday and Saturday nights at the only 24 hour cafe in town.
    Indoor car shows are the best. To me it’s as addictive as nitro, the chrome, colors, lighting, the best of the automotive hobby.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jnaki likes this.
  9. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

Can’t go wrong with “two on one with everything” at Lafayette.

10. town sedan

town sedan

You could have gotten "sick" and needed to stay over for a couple / three days. Oh well...,
    -Dave

11. Ran over there Friday. Had two. Very good.

12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-3-3_5-36-58.png 1959-60
    Hello,

Going through all of my files for edits in film clipping, I knew I saw a photo from Lions Dragstrip in 1960 that had another happy customer of those famous hot dogs.

upload_2020-3-3_5-38-50.png 1958-60
    Those were the staples for lunch and dinner for two growing teenagers racing and hanging out all day and night. We could not get enough of those hot dogs and chili dogs. Plus, we did not miss any of the action in the pits or on the dragstrip. It was a staple for a happy youngster eating and watching his dad tune the twin Chevy FED in the pits, too.
    upload_2020-3-3_5-41-25.png power tuning does all sorts of things...

Jnaki

They gave extra energy for unusual action from a twin engine FED at the starting line. What a race car it was, during this time period at Lions and other So Cal race tracks.

Attached Files:

J.Ukrop likes this.
  13. HelminenHotrods

HelminenHotrods
    from Finland

Thank you for great photos !
    This roadster stepped up for me. Does anyone have more pictures of it ? IMG_6091-scaled (2).jpg