Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Graphic Novel of Racing: Steve McQueen in Le Mans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Graphic Novel of Racing: Steve McQueen in Le Mans

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. chiro

chiro

Nice graphics

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. QuakeMonkey

QuakeMonkey

Wow, beautiful illustration! Each frame is compelling with so much detail. That would have been quite an undertaking.

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Steve.JPG Very much like ROAD RACER by Toby Cypress, which is on my desk for inspiration

Thanks, now I have to find another book for my collection!!

5. belair

belair

Some pretty cool stuff there. Thanks for sharing. Kind of goes with the recent Ford and Ferrari movie.

6. Spooky

Spooky

LOVE that!!
    This has been the vision I have had all along with my short stories. I keep hoping I will have an artist contact me and agree to illustrating to one of my ideas.
    But, now I want this book!

7. rooman

rooman

I got my copy when it was first released a year or so ago. I am with Jive Bomber, do the same with a hot rod or drag race theme and I am in.

Roo .

8. toml24

toml24

When the movie was released in 1971, a car/comic magazine did a spread about Steve McQueen, his Porsche 917K, and a encounter with 2 "hippies" and their VW microbus van at Le Mans during the race. It was very well written and illustrated. I laughed very hard at the supermarket reading it. It was so perfect for the time.

kidcampbell71 and stillrunners like this.
  9. Racing is living. The rest is just waiting.

10. Like Grand Prix and Winning.....saw these when they first came out.....still love to watch and hear the gear changes !

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I was at LeMans in 1970, when McQueen & Co. were there filming portions of the race for the movie (which was released the next year), along with three new friends from a nearby campground (2 Brits and a Kiwi). It rained for probably 2/3 of the event and staying dry, fed and / or intoxicated while trying to keep track of the lead cars were our first priorities. Second was keeping an ear out for race reports in English, otherwise you basically had no idea what was going on. But we managed to stay reasonably informed without big screens, cell phones or portable computers. None of the drama (or lack thereof) in either the movie or comic books were self-evident or, really mattered, at that time - when you were ankle deep in mud at times. So, you're going to have to read the post race reports to find out about who was out and why, or what team's strategy helped win, or whatever. But like Indy or Sebring, other huge racing events, you have to be there to see, feel, hear, smell it all. Still, I watched the movie the first week it was out and loved it. But the movie wasn't about the 1970 race, even though McQueen's camera car was filming during the race. And I'm going to try to make it back this year for my own personal 50th Anniversary. Too bad I won't have my cool little, 1970 French blue Alfa Romeo Giulia 1300 GT Junior with me again. It was a pretty comfy place to keep dry and grab a few winks.

WillyKJr and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aside from how cool Steve McQueen was in regards to his connection with racing and all things mechanical, this book is a fascinating look at a lot of other facets to this complicated man, I think you all will enjoy it, its a great read by Marshall Terrill.

STEVE McQUEEN 1.jpg STEVE McQUEEN 2.jpg

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I too would like to read this book and maybe I'll get it if Barnes & Nobles has it, cause I've got $75 in their gift certificates I need to use.
    But damn, that review in your pic is by a writer for Cosmpolitan Mag. WTF does a writer for a woman's mag know about racing?

14. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you like Steve McQueen, as stated, this book is a great read and you will learn a lot about his life, in my opinion, you will be missing out on a great story if you are swayed by the information seen on the back dust cover!
    " You can't judge a book by looking at the cover " just saying!

15. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Here is Pic of the man of the Hour... Steve M.jpg

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Graphic novels are a really great way to portray historical events, when done properly. Often times the authors spend a huge amount of effort researching the details so the illustrations can be extremely informative.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.