Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Land Speed Legend For Sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Land Speed Legend For Sale

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Stogy, neverdun, warbird1 and 7 others like this.
  2. pumpman

pumpman

Wow, didn't see this coming. But it will be interesting to see what this iconic streamliner will bring. And I hope it will kick up some salt again.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sounds like a smart move, Danny met his goal, has the Record, time to move on to other things. Hope the next owner races it. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

gotta do what ya gotta do

loudbang likes this.

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I watched Danny working on this vehicle one day at his shop. He never said more than 10 words at the time. I took some amazing photos that I cherish and will now share. I was waiting for all the PR that was done by Holley Martin to be seen and absorbed.
    At the time Danny's Father's killer was convicted, which, seemed to me, took a lot off of Danny's shoulders and moved the build forward to the point of now
    This vehicle, in-which Danny sold many of his other Dad's vehicles to pay for the effort, is now history of both Mickey and Danny and it needs it's place to be seen and admired.
    So, it needs the right home, not a cave of a rich investor, but a home where the public can come see what two great men can achieve both in self and historical.
    And lets be honest, as have seen, the chance of it leaving ground and crumple is high, and would be a great loss to the history of Land Speed and Automotive Greats.
    Thompson Impound HAMB.jpg

Dean Lowe, Elmo Rodge, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  6. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

That would be cool to buy and race. But I think I'd be scared to go that fast.

7. Mickey Thompson never threw anything out. I can imagine what he had stored away. I'm glad the son got it running and set a new record with the car. And with 1968 technology. I hope it runs again.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

With all of it's history, I'd kinda rather see it in a museum (or traveling around to shows or something) rather than see it get raced again, because if you're going to challenge the record with it, you're going to have to modify it, and risk damaging it, and I'd like to see it just like it is, forever.

9. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

It really belongs in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington D.C. If there ever was an American treasure it is it.

10. 6sally6

6sally6

It had 4 ....421 Pontiac engines.............right?
    6sally6

11. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

It has made its mark on history. Time to walk away while they are still ahead. Reminds me of the Spirit of St. Louis.

12. It has twin 500 c.i. Chrysler Hemi's running on nitro.

Mick

gimpyshotrods and Stogy like this.
  13. pitman

pitman

Sally's thinking of the earlier Challenger, believe there were pics in Mickey's book.

Stogy, Speed Gems and lurker mick like this.
  14. noboD

noboD

With everything that Danny sacrificed to break the record I hope the auction goes his way. I have never met him, but have seen and touched the car, it is a work of art.

Stogy, Boneyard51 and warbird1 like this.
  15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Actually Danny changed and improved almost everything under the skin. And the skin has changes
    So it was 2017 Technology that got him there.

HEMI32, Stogy and lurker mick like this.
  16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree with Squablow, in that (no matter who buys it) it would be cool to see it tour some shows and get loaned about to various museums. Speaking of which, Garlits' museum in Ocala is a stones throw from Kissimmee. Delivery would be a cinch. Maybe Big Daddy will be at the auction...
    5000 HP, 450 MPH (on salt). I'm telling ya, a set of brass ones to strap in and grab the wheel!

Stogy likes this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree that it is time for that one to become a museum piece where folks can see it for generations to come.
    I also hope that he comes out well financially on it as he did sacrifice lot to get it all together.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Challenger I had the 4 Pontiac motors. It is on loan from the Thompson family to the World of Speed Motorsports Museum in Wilsonville, Oregon and is on display there.

Challenger.jpeg Challenger1.jpeg

19. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

have heard it was going to auction, anybody know what auction and when?

Stogy likes this.
  20. See post #1.

Phil

Stogy and jim snow like this.
  21. frank spittle

frank spittle

Not taking anything away from Challenger 2 but Challenger 1 should have been in the Smithsonian 50 years ago.

22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Dang....just....dang. What a HUGE chunk of history right there.

Stogy likes this.
  23. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Frank, they both should be in the Smithsonian. But the Challenger 2 is the one with the SCTA record and the history for a GREAT movie about the American spirit of never giving up.

Stogy likes this.
  24. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Got to see the record run, if you haven't ever been to Bonneville, you need to go.

bchctybob, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. frank spittle

frank spittle

Yes Michael, no one was pulling for Danny to set the piston powered record more than myself. I personally believe his father is the greatest motorsports personality EVER and drove the fastest race car on the planet in 1960. There was no other car to share the publicity with and it also became the most famous. As a 16 year old speed freak I was already a Mickey Thompson fan and he became a hero to me with that 406 mph run in Challenger 1, the fastest speed ever recorded on land at the time. History will determine which Challenger will be the most famous but #1 has a 50 plus year head start.

pitman, 1320 Fan, nochop and 2 others like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OFT likes this.
  27. Both are amazing pieces of automotive history- a lot of blood sweat and tears went into their creation. I hope someone buys it to preserve it.

Stogy likes this.
  28. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

im getting old stogy! if there was a picture of a hamburger there i woudnt have missed that!:p:cool:

Stogy likes this.
  29. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The "Smith" has some historic cars in their basement, never to be seen again. do you really want this as the fate for these cars? Fonzies leather jacket gets more respect then the race cars

30. I watched Danny break his dads record back in 2016 and met him just after, nice car and a great guy. I believe it should be preserved in a museum out of respect for Micky and Danny.
    Whatever happens i hope Danny gets back a good part of what he invested in it. JW