Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Houston, Texas Drag Racing circa 1961

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Houston, Texas Drag Racing circa 1961

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. autobilly

autobilly

IMO the sound adds atmosphere.
    I think the song choice for #2 represents a longing for "the old days"; all I can do is dream.

3. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

I don't care either way. The footage is cool as hell and I love it. I've been around this junk long enough to know exactly how they sound fa'real so anything added or not is fine by me.

4. There's a shopping center and a neighborhood there now where the strip used to be. I used to live a few miles from there, and apparently when I moved to the area, I just missed the remnants of the track before they dug the area up to build the shopping center there now, based on the historical images available on Google Earth.
    It was at 29.473561, -95.091935 if anyone is interested in looking at the old aerial/satellite images. I had a co-worker who used to race out there in his and the track's heyday. I didn't meet him or hear about the track until a couple years after it all got dug up and built over.

The videos are cool- they actually did a decent job of adding the engine noise, as far as matching it up with the video. I think it's easier to accept knowing it was put together like that. If I'd found the video and thought it was the actual audio, a couple things would've left me scratching my head, one of them being the Corvair...

5. paulvmunix

paulvmunix

Golden Triangle Dragstrip. Beaumont, Texas 1965

ebs121781 likes this.