Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Is the Journey really the Reward?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 29, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Is the Journey really the Reward?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic :) glad you made the trip and back safe

3. Many of us have been lucky enough to be there. You just keep pushing and enjoy the ride.

Phil

4. sololobo

sololobo

old cars make for great adventures, way to bully thru and make the trip. I love that Safari wagon bro, my Mom had a tudor 57 post in gray and white that I loved, drove on my first honeymoon as the 4:56 gears in my 57 Chevy were not the best for a little trip. Enjoy the show, I would go to Santa Maria for the round track races when I lived in Santa Barbara, great town.

5. 007989BD-924D-4A3E-BC1E-30F3989BDA4D.jpeg That is one beautiful wagon !

6. Enjoying the Safari as was originally intended..and in this day and age even more styling then it was back then.
    Good looking car.
    Big fan of Safari's and Nomads.

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

First of all, your Safari makes me all weak in the knees, perfect color, stance, everything!
    Continue to treasure the moments with your family in the car! My son, now in his 30s, reminisces about trips taken in my '56 Nomad (his sisters, not so much!).

8. 2935ford

2935ford

happy everything turned out so well. thanks to the folks that lent a hand! and, I really like your wagon!

9. Jay, I remember the story Ryan did about your cars and your wagon kinda inspired me to pull Brenda's wagon out of the barn and start my own restoration, as far as I'm concerned you have the most unique wagon on the Hamb, and it's still a beautiful car.

Glad everything worked out and your family got to have a epic road trip.

I also remember seeing some before and after photo's, the picture below needs to be re-created now. HRP

[​IMG]

10. I love love love that Safari

11. Great story! Beautiful wagon! So glad that it all worked out.

12. Where's this write up you speak of @HOTRODPRIMER? Epic road trip vehicle!

scotty t and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

It's not the destination, it is the journey, that is what I usually tell myself and the spouse when our hot rods are on the ramp truck,,,,
    Our latest 'adventure' was bringing the Ute home from the alignment shop and not due to anything the shop did, the right had steering are came off the rack, on the freeway, at speed, with Chick driving, she made it to the side of the road without crashing or hitting a rush evening traffic,,,,,

Ron Funkhouser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. When my girls were little we went to various car events in my Ranch Wagon, most memorable were your early Billet Proof shows. It seems like just yesterday they were little girls, sitting on the tail gate at the Livermore rodeo grounds. I missed Santa Maria this year because I was in Austin, Texas for my older daughter's graduation from UT. Time flies, enjoy your time with your kids and your old cars.

15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Love your wagon, Jay -- I'm glad you and your family were able to make the trip!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  16. That was back in 2007 but I did a quick search and found it.

I had saved the photo on my PC. HRP

HERE

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    OLSKOOL57, chryslerfan55 and El Hueso like this.
  17. killer ride
    cool story
    road trips are fun, or as I call them "adventure rides"
    some people climb mountains, some sky dive, some travel to remote areas of the globe. I drive old junk
    same level of adventure, just sitting down
    Our 1100 mile maiden voyage in the bus was a blast, students still talk about it
    Set the pinion angle, welded the perches, pushed it outside and burped the radiator. And off we go in a beater put together by high school kids. We took a tool box but no spare parts.
    The sun went down as we left, and it rose when we arrived. Still in work clothes. Man that shower at the hotel was amazing.

go to the movies and dinner? why. Just fill up the tank and drive.

18. "...and then we drove there, and then we drove home. The end." Well that's boring isn't it? :D

Adventures in hot rodding. It's always the breakdowns and small mishaps that make for good stories.

19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful safari!! Had a 57 Star Chief 2 dr in high school -1960-very fast for the time-drove it for many yrs. Great story and adventure-so glad it worked out well. The mechanic was a standup guy!!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great story and car. Makes me want to just take off for 4-5 days. Thanks for sharing.

21. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Jay, The Skype introduction (er, induction) at the HOF dinner was definitely cool, and fun. But it was a real pleasure to finally meet you, and your family, in person. Very glad you all made it, and apparently enjoyed it. Coincidentally, Anna and I also finished our ride home to Glendale on an roll-back. After another very bumpy ride down the 101 through Santa Barbara in the '56 F-100, right in the middle of the transition to the 126 in Ventura the Pertronix Ignitor just decided to quit igniting. Not the sort of piece you can replace on Memorial Day. Fortunately we coasted through converging traffic to a safe shoulder and used our (very well-used) 100-mi. AAA towing card to hitch a ride home. Don't know why it quit. It worked fine for nearly 20 years. Got a new one to install today. Fun with old cars. Wouldn't have it any other way. Hopefully you all had a fun, safe trip home.
    Cheers, Pat Ganahl

22. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

A few years ago the wife and I went to a small show in our F100. Leaving the show the alternator starts to make noise. And it's getting worse. 50 miles from home. No way this will make it. Hmm. Oh look, a NAPA store! Wife read her book while I swapped it in their lot. The old one was still warm when I turned it in. Then continued on our way home. Every now and then she brings it up, hey remember that time....

Malcolm and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  23. Thanks for sharing your story Jay. Danny's right, that's one of the best looking wagons on the HAMB. I love Nomads, but I like Pontiac Safari's even better. I love to take my grandkids on roadtrips in our 56 Nomad. When you have experiences like that you just have to try and, make the best of it. That's how you make great memories. I also try to keep them as safe possible too. I have seat belts and, try to take mostly side roads, with the slower speeds. For me it's never about the destination either. But just having Fun and, makeing some great and lasting memories. :) Ron.....

jnaki and Malcolm like this.
  24. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Consider a Pertronix Ignitor II or III, supposedly they live longer.

Pinstriper40 and Ebbspeed like this.
  25. Correct Ron, the adventures without a hiccup or 2 are never the ones you continue to talk about in years to come.

We traveled with our twin girls all around the country in our 1940 sedan and towing a Mullins trailer, it takes a lot of room to keep three females happy but we have had as much or more fun hauling our youngest granddaughter, Veda around in Brenda's '54 Ranch Wagon, it reminds me of those road trips with my parents in dad's '53 Ford sedan delivery with a old mattress and some blankets for my sister and I and later on in his '61 Impala wagon. Still making memories. HRP

OLSKOOL57 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the worst part is something you fixed is what went wrong.

27. alchemy

alchemy

Flat tire in Kirksville MO, flat tire in Kearney NE, dead voltage regulator in Albert Lea MN, no gas in Mason City IA, overheated who-knows-what in Ottawa MN, steering arm bolts missing in Davenport IA, melted closed vacuum line in Indianapolis IN, rattling front wheel bearings half way across the state of Iowa never stopping so they didn't have time to cool off and quit: just a few of the hot rodding episodes I can recall on short notice.

28. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story Jive-Bomber . So who forgot to read the numbers off the original wheel bearings?

48fordnut likes this.
  29. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Killer wagon !!!

30. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Nice story, when your kids grow up they will bring it up "Remember Dad that trip we took on Memorial Day weekend in your wagon?" when the grand kids come over for the summer my son and daughter talk about some our road trips and the grand kids look at me like really?you guys did stuff like that