Register now to get rid of these ads!

History LIFE Images of Bonneville 1954 (PART III)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

LIFE Images of Bonneville 1954 (PART III)

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

tractorguy and LOU WELLS like this.
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

A little later than 54, but found a shot of our roadster before we bought it. It was on Getty Images Bonneville a more modern version of the Life series.
    With the 18's on the back and the number change I think it was around the middle 90's

gettyimages-339602-612x612.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More priceless photos of the period we celebrate...every vintage image capturing Hotrod/Custom/Race helps paint a picture.

It really helps visualize the detailing that we're recreating or preserving. Then there's the people frozen in their youth...many no doubt have left us...then there's good times and the beauty of the landscape.

On thing that caught my eye was the flames on the Belly Tank...they almost resemble that OT type of modern flame we see on Street Rods these days (I often refer to these types of mechanical/artistic mods as trendsetters)...it really is an evolution of sorts even though we choose to focus on a slot in the ever evolving big picture.

Thanks @Jive-Bomber for sharing this series...can't wait for the next installment...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  4. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

The year was 1954 and I think that's a 1954 Buick in the shot with the pickup.

5. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

You have a good eye... Those flames were done by none other than Von Dutch!!

lurker mick and Stogy like this.
  6. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Some of those cars are still around . . .

1954 Bonneville 1954 Bonneville 2.jpg

2003 Bonneville 2003 Roadster - Pits.jpg

2017 Bonneville 2018 On Course .jpg

stillrunners and Stogy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of the Pilots and Participants are too and The Hamb is a better place for it...a Big Shout out and Thanks to those of you who still have your health and continue to share the goodtimes.

48fordnut likes this.
  8. Fantastic photos! Thanks for posting them.

9. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Awesome pics. Love the #2 yellow T roadster

10. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

El Hueso and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Pete1 you are one of those I speak of above...you have such an incredible connection to this and I have shared some of your photos in threads of that history you have experienced...beyond cool it really is...I have not searched but perhaps you have shared imagery with your reflections on it all here already and if not it would be great to see.

12. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

All had for a camera in those days was a 4 x 5 Speedgraphic. Big and heavy so I never took it racing with me.
    If the crick don't rise, a good friend and I will be at Bonneville next year with his engine in my old modified roadster to see if we can get in the "2" club. We will take pics this time.

El Hueso and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I enjoy whatever you fellas can dig up the good the lesser then and all in between having your insight on them just makes for a well rounded package...thanks Pete1.