Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures 1935 Ford: Crossing the Road to Custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

1935 Ford: Crossing the Road to Custom?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first memory of a 35 Ford (coupe) was in 1960?, sitting in the service bay of a small town Dodge dealer where dad traded cars. The owner's sons owned the car and as I understand it they made a drag car out of it. Later they went to a Willys and then even later they stuffed an elephant motor into an Opel coupe (and the car still exists in that iteration) I am not much of a custom guy but I sorta get why these were customized, I just prefer to remember 1960 and a hot rod 35:)

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

With that said what would one call this coupe from 1963 SpeedWeek?
    And credit the photographer here on the HAMB and I hope he doesn't mind that I removed most of the finger in the picture
    Coupe Hamb.jpg
    Looks like a Hot Rod to me,,,,,,

4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

That's not even a Ford. You're opening up the can of worms here. What about all of the 35-40 coupes that wound up on their lid on circle tracks? They weren't customs either but I don't think that's the point of the post.

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

It is the point of the post,,, is anything past 1936 a Hot Rod?
    And to me they are,,, and Hot Rods are not only Fords

6. "Just talking in Ford vehicles here"

I understood it as being about the point (in general) that you go from hot rod to custom.
    Pre-'35 will usually invoke thoughts of rods, the fat-fendered bodies lend themselves more to customs.

No one said later cars couldn't be (fenderless) hot rods, a link was provided to show that.
    And you can also find examples of early (pre-'35) ford customs.

You don't see a lot of stripped down hot rod fat fendered Fords. Which was more to the point, the body design is considered more as a whole.

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I understand and agree with your point
    Jive Turkey.
    At the beginning, all Hotrod’s had body modifications directly meant to increase speed.
    Chop, channel, fenderless etc.
    And custom body mods were designed for beauty.
    But in the 50’s a lot of post 34 models were running mostly on the strip and were considered Hotrod’s.
    But at the inception of Hotrod’s 1940’s You are exactly correct.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

back in my formative years in the 70's 35 - 36 Fords were ALWAYS Hot Rods .... give me bigs and littles, 5 spokes, and a nice rake over the dog scratching his ass on the carpet look.

9. It's a 36 ..kinda the vibe I started with.. more 40's style custom with updates a guy would have done.. Lyons Caps, 40 Ford bumpers.. clean interior, Lincoln steering wheel, Stewart-Warner gauges.. It was flathead powered when pulled from the garage.. but was gulp updated with OHV engine ( not 40's vibe lol ) 36 ruston way.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. I would call my friend Dan Henke's 40 Standard a hot rod (built in the 1950's)
    324 Olds powered (since 1956) 3x2 Edelbrock intake N.O.S. 97's N.O.S. Harmon & Collins roller cam.
    Cad/LaSalle transmission
    No body modifications
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The Ala Kart however says Kustom not hot rod to me
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

lewk and kidcampbell71 like this.