Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Just flew Back from SEMA...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Just flew Back from SEMA...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Love the skirts and on the ground stance of the 1939 Graham!
    [​IMG]

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Aside from the miles of daily walking, we stopped going because of the 'SpeedWeek' priced hotels, lack of proper food at the event, and what SEMA has also seemed to have become a venue to highlight all the Velocity Shows-both good(Chip and Dave) and bad (Vegas Rat Rods). But as you mentioned it was a great place to meet the Industry Friends, where else can one talk to Bob Drake for 30 minutes about parts and his effect on the Industry.
    Maybe we will go back next year.

4. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I went about 10 years ago. Overwhelming. On the love/hate thing, I am just amazed at how much money and talent is out there, and how much bad taste there is.

5. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

What is the 3 window coupe? Look's Ford, but not...

Stogy likes this.
  6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I was there about 15 yrs ago, looks way bigger now

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

like Las Vegas itself, if you have not been there hard to comprehend what it is truly about - but, if you get the opportunity to go do it - I have been a couple of times, through SEMA programs for non-business members to attend - yes, marathon walking & talking is involved - overloaded sensory experience that when you have seen it all, there is more - yes, there is much that has nothing to do with our world here, and you need to just look away - but, there is a lot that does and it is a real eye opener on how much is truly out there that you were never aware of - as stated, the creativity and craftsmanship is amazing SEMA SHOW, Las Vegas 11-2010 051 (Small).jpg SEMA SHOW, Las Vegas 11-2010 215 (Small).jpg

8. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

[What is the 3 window coupe? Look's Ford, but not...[/QUOTE]

Sports coupe with steel top, at a guess.

9. mopacltd

mopacltd

My Model A has been on the Center Force clutch banner for a couple years now.

CudaChick1968 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. From everything I've heard, I'm not really interested in going, especially with everyone taking pics and posting the cool stuff.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Hollywood-East, Stogy and KKrod like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd love to go, didn't have the time or money 20 years ago when my buddy could get me the then hard to get tickets and now my knees would be wanting a scooter to get me around as they sure wouldn't do the 7 miles a day.
    I think it is like any large event in that you have look at you want to see and walk on by what doesn't interest you be it products or built for the event cars or "tv celebs" signing autographs.
    I did see photos of Gene Winfield wheeling around the show on a Jazzy scooter yesterday and that would have been worth being there.
    I think it may have lost a lot of it's get the retail vendors and their people in to see and find out about the new products so they will order and sell them in their stores though.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I flew to L.V. for SEMA after the feds opened the skies back up for flights after 9/11, that flight was a little "nervy"!
    The SEMA show should be on everyones' bucket list, nothing like it, but you have to get "hooked up" to get in, I feel very fortunate to have been invited by a friend that has a chassis shop.
    I think that was the last show before SEMA put the kibash on all the scantilly clad sweet young things in the vendor booths, I was like a kid in a candy store.

14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Oh no,, you can't imagine what is there by what is posted on sites. It is really BEYOND belief. The photos only cover the BIG stuff, the little stuff, parts, paints, tools, art, builds, your head explodes by day 3 and you only have seen half of the show.....

WillyKJr likes this.
  15. donno

donno

As a "native", I'm pissed that you have to pay to park, not fair, you have paid for your ticket. and the "food?" available is grossly over priced.. I don't know how many years I've attended, pissed as I am I will still go. Nuthin like it, period.

Truck64 likes this.
  16. 34Larry

34Larry

I'm told no tickets for those of us not in the "business" but that sounds like it is not true. Right? If so how dose a guy get one or two?

17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I’ve been twice, overwhelming in my opinion, probably never go back as I just can’t walk all those hours anymore and there’s not many places to take 5. I’ll watch the coverage on Velocity now.

18. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Does anyone have a better picture of the ‘64 Comet that is shown on this photo? Just curious.

19. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

At least you got some cool pictures

20. Isn’t that Dale Snokes comet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. It is an industry trade show and you have to provide some type of proof that you work in the industry to purchase tickets. The only way the general public can get in is if they have some sort of connection to someone in the industry that is willing to get tickets for you. It's too busy as it is let alone if they opened the doors to the public.

22. toml24

toml24

I've been to SEMA twice recently, and it is really overwhelming. And when you add the AAPEX show at the Sands it is a solid 3-days to try to see as much as you can before the legs give out. I like the free canvas tote bags that many vendors give out. I gave them all to family members and they now use them to haul groceries from the supermarket.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think it is, you might PM Mike Thomas @fiveoh108 as his 427 Falcon was also in the Derale display and Dale did a lot of work on Mikes car.

24. Hey, I missed you by a day! Did you school my non-"Car Guy" co workers? haha
    I just did my day in/out, got all the pics and inspiration I needed and did a few meetings with Licensors and off I went.
    I gravitated towards the same hotrods you posted, but have to appreciate the rest show cars, for my job.
    After this trip,I think I made the decision to add a '32 Ford or just a roadster of some sort somewhere in my line,soon.
    That is how I roll with Matchbox.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Jive-Bomber and CudaChick1968 like this.
  25. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

I have some work on a couple builds but that's as close as I got. Thankfully you all post plenty of pics to feed The Addiction!

What was the story with the hideous apparently jewel-encrusted Ford engine? Reminded me of the equally hideous home made sparkled denim jeans I wore as a teenager ... :D

Screenshot_2018-11-03-13-47-36-1.png

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  26. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I seen that the 4WD ten foot high trucks are taking over

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  27. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Just got home last night. First-timer, and I would say, it's a must-do at least once.

28. The unfortunate part about the show is that for every jumbo truck, Mustang, Import or Exotic. There is not a 1:1 ratio on Hotrods. So I guess some advice. You have to be open minded and appreciate most all custom cars and the aftermarket parts or services that go into them to be show cars for SEMA. That is way more what it is about that just a car show. There is a lot of talented people showing cool cars.

If you want more vintage traditional. Try something like TROG,RPM Nats or shows of that sort.

29. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I always enjoy the show, always start with the new products, then hit the main hall on the first day. Day two revisit so booths, and roam outside.

41 coupe likes this.