Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Drag Racing Rage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 21, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Drag Racing Rage

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

JD Tone and I were talking at El Mirage this weekend, we were waiting for the crowd of Course Walkers to arrive at the start line (for the unknowing, all racers are suppose to walk the race course to check the condition and pick up small items that might hinder a driver- glass, bullets, lost dzues buttons) anyway we were discussing the current problem of street racing, where it seems that every other day we read about a death caused by 'Street Racing'.
    JD mentioned that in all the time of his hooligan days of early street racing he does not remember anyone loosing their lives. So the question is, were we slower than today? I don't think so if you compare speed ratios.
    So I mention that like the old days there is no place to 'show off your speed machine', If you set up a racing environment, (if you could find a place in So Cal anymore) the rules to be safe would scare off a large amount, the ones you want to show that racing on a track is safer compared to the street. And maybe the 'Street Outlaws" mentality is driving the Bad Boy image that many want to emulate,,,
    I don't know what the answer is,,,,

jnaki likes this.
  3. "...the glorification of speed on the strips infects the teen-agers with a fatal spirit of derring-do on the highways."

This is a cool photo:
    jhg.jpg

4. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Thanks for the article. Hope you heal good and fast!

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It can still totally be done... (Well, maybe not in California) You just have to find an organizer willing to do it that isn't motivated by profit.

6. WOW man I didn't know you were down. Sorry to hear it.
    I probably shouldn't bring this up but that coffee pot, my Grandma had one of those. That was an expensive coffee pot back then.

Feel better my friend.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks - was an interesting step back in time - some things don't change all that much

8. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Unfortunately, as drag strips close (or are forced to close for building developments), the hot rodders have fewer places to race. Sacramento Raceway (a great drag strip which has existed since the mid sixties) is likely to close in a couple years due to development efforts and the city's refusal to renew racing permit. Where will many northern California guys go? The public streets like in the fifties?

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Allan Grant and Ralph Crane, Life magazine photographers, shot a large batch of fantastic L.A. area photos in 1956 that were used in this and other features. Here's a tiny sample:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bct and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  10. kursplat

kursplat

thanks Ryan, never seen the whole article. my dad used to tell me about running down in the river in the 50's. i quit going in the late 80's. as bad as it was earlier it was really getting out of hand then.

11. Heal up there Ryan...

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am far from a drag racer and fairly new at driving an actual Hotrod...and I have been buzzing here and there enjoying all things crude, loud and bouncy for 3 summers now. One thing I haven't done is push it further than a tad over the high limits of the roads our way. I want to push the pedal to the metal briefly to clear its lungs for a moment. That opportunity may happen in the late summer here where you can run what you got and a local airstrip.

Not a drag race per say but still a giver without a ticket event. These days you have to be careful with what you do on the street as the good ole take your keys away and pickem up in the morning or a talking too are truly a thing of the past it's more like charge of stunt driving, lose your license for a while, impound your vehicle immediately and a potentially huge fine with a guarantee of huge insurance rate increases for years...I value what I have that's all I can really say.

I am just happy to be able to drive around in a vintage ride and experience some of what it may have been like in 1962.

I have read about the event but I may not even be able to run as I have no seatbelts, rollbar or helmet...I can easily get a Helmet but belts and rollbar I don't care to install if I don't need too.

So I certainly understand the desire to go fast as its exciting and really an element that is a part of the thread that the very root of what a Hotrod is...can't wait...fingers crossed.

Glad your nearly back up to speed @Ryan

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I agree with Typo41. Back in the street racing days during high school into college, there were plenty of races at our own Cherry Avenue Drags or elsewhere. Westminster Blvd and empty places in Orange County, also had their share of racing. Never once, did we know of any accidents or car crashes. Either we were very lucky, cautious, or we had good planning on the entry, set up, race, and fast exits locally. (during this time period, Lions Dragstrip was open nearby… as well as 6 other So Cal places.)

That localized Long Beach/Orange County street racing scene had been going on for generations of high school/college age kids before us and afterwards, too. So, the rash of current accidents of ordinary Joe driving a Mustang vs a lowered Honda with accompanying accidents is just careless and inexperienced driving/handling.

The bravado of whose car is better/faster isn’t necessarily the problem. It is the careless, possible under the influence driver that cannot handle quick decisions or solve problems as they pop up. Many police and local organizations have developed safe racing at local dragstrips, but the dragstrips themselves are getting fewer by the day. The ones that still are around cost an arm and leg to have open racing weekly for those that need to race.

In So Cal, the NHRA opens Irwindale Speedway for one night called "Thursday Night Thunder." It will be happening for at least two more years. With the sponsorship of the AAA, Fontana Dragstrip now known as the Auto Club Dragway also has NHRA "Wednesday Night Lights", a weekly event for the locals. So, it is still around for those that are drag race oriented and have something to prove.

In the San Diego region, Barona Speedway has open drag racing nights throughout the year for different classes and events. There is also the San Diego's stadium events, too. It is located freeway close, has been a well known stadium for the last 51 years in various names.
    https://www.sandiego.gov/stadium/event/tenants/racelegal

"San Diego County Credit Union Stadium, commonly known as SDCCU Stadium, is a multi-purpose stadium in San Diego, California, United States. The stadium opened in 1967 as San Diego Stadium and was later known for many years as Jack Murphy Stadium. From 1997 to 2017, the stadium's naming rights were owned by Qualcomm, a San Diego-based telecommunications equipment company and the stadium was known as Qualcomm Stadium. The naming rights expired on June 14, 2017 and the stadium was renamed on September 19, 2017."

Jnaki
    Some cities are still hanging on to put land use for public events. But, liability might be a factor...for fewer events.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  14. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Hope you get well soon

15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    I always thought this image was from the rock along Hwy 80, but recently I noticed it on the 'Old Highway" coming form West Wendover to Wendover - State Line it is on the hill on the right, which is where the number of So Cal racers would make the turn of of 93 to the 'Downtown area' of Wendover.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.