Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Air Bags: The Case For And Against

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Air Bags: The Case For And Against

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Outback, plan9, kiwijeff and 10 others like this.
  2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

And it doesn't hurt that at least 5 of them are from Austin, TEXAS! :)

Hah, I just noticed the rest of the post after the picture.

3. " .... plenty of fire left in me." :) Ha.

Good !!!

loudbang likes this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've often thought that there are so many bagged customs in Austin simply because these guys have to drive so damned far for most traditional custom events.

Paulhunt2014jd and Rolleiflex like this.

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

To begin, I agree with you in that bags have no place on a traditional hot rod.

My sole reason FOR bags is the exact reason you state; drivability. The ability to have your cake and eat it too. I know this from having a traditional car without bags for so long. My 57 Ford has every trick in the book to lower it without bags; leaf springs removed, 3" lowering blocks, reversed shackles... you name it. And it drives like shit, and it has driven like shit for the tens of thousands of miles I've driven it, often pounded on it, in the 16 years I've owned it. It has made my 5 seater essentially a 2 seater since the weight of anything more than a toddler in the back seat causes the car to bottom out. That now means the prospect of enjoying the car with friends is out the window. So too is the prospect of carrying any kind of weight in the trunk, so that's basically useless, too. Even my cooler filled with beer and ice caused notable clearance issues during a car show weekend. I've broken my driveshaft where the original one ate through the floor under the rear seat, and I had to get a new one and recess the floor. I've ground through at least 3 sets of lake pipes. I've also dragged my cruiser skirts more times that I can can count after dislodging them with a huge dip, which sucks when they've got 30+ coats of HOK candy paint on them. One time coming home from Gettysburg, I bottomed out so hard I knocked out 3 fuses in my fuse block, turning off my headlights and dash lights in pitch darkness, 200 miles from home, while still driving at 80 mph. I could go on.

The older I've gotten, the less tolerant I've become of these issues, and I've found myself driving the car less because of them. I took the 3" block out and put 2" blocks in, which has made a world of difference, but the car just doesn't sit as right. Damn it looked good nice and low. So the car I'm building now will have bags, and eventually, so will my '57. If people want to criticize my choices, that's fine. But most of the people so quick to judge usually don't have a car or a clue. I've found that often the people who criticize the loudest usually do so to try to give themselves legitimacy. I'd be proud to have any number of those cars you posted in my garage, and anyone that says otherwise is lying.

Duellym, Stogy, KustomKreeps and 12 others like this.
  6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

If today's air bag technology had been available in the '30s through the '50s, the custom guys ALL would have had them. ALL OF THEM. :)

But here's the rub. They didn't have it. They were building mostly straight axle and leaf sprung cars, or if they were driving a newer car they were trying to figure out ways to get their cars lower. Some experimented with air bags, some with hydraulics. But this was rare, and most of the custom cars we revere today were built buy broke ass kids that built their cars the way a broke ass kid would. They cut the shit out of the frame, bent leaf springs, stepped control arms, torched a coil or two, heated a spring until it sagged, and probably all kinds of even more dangerous things that we would frown on today.

Bags are here to stay, no doubt about it. They're great (even though I don't run them and won't). I'd rather see HAMB discussions centered on traditional - and safe - ways to get these cars lower. Scraping the ground is a whole other subject that I can get on any Truckin' forum. my .02

20180416_200034.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    mcnally351, Toner283, Hombre and 8 others like this.
  7. "“lay frame”
    I just… don’t get it." R.C.

I need to print out your post to save me having to go over again. I've been preaching that for years. Nobody seems to care though.
    My quote is "Lower it and leave it."

I do love low riders though!

bobwop, catdad49, Hombre and 2 others like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"bags are for groceries" is a common statement - but, most grocery bags would not last long if dragged across asphalt - yes, have tried most lowering tricks including hydraulics - have bottomed out so hard cruising down the highway that chunks of asphalt ended up onto top battery under the hood - for a while banging and bouncing down the road is fun - majority of rides look best lowered - have not owned a bagged ride, yet - but, would not turn down a good deal on a ride that has them - like most things, just stuffing bags in a ride does not guarantee anything but disappointment - but, if engineered right they can be of a great benefit for many rides-

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Laying frame makes cars look broken if you ask me. I had one car with bags and I thought it rode like crap. I put 100000 miles on my old 55 Chev, 6 inch blocks and C’d frame in the rear and cut coils up front....[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

KKrod, Stogy, Mpls 40 and 17 others like this.
  10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This is a really important point you make. Air bags aside, today we vociferously discourage the very build methods that were utilized to build the cars we hold as the standard bearers. Barris, Hines, Winfield, etc, were not shy with the use of lead, body filler, etc., and some other less talented builders truly employed the "cave and pave" method of doing body work. The game has changed, and the talented guys that metal finish cars are on a level totally unheard of in the "traditional" era. We're (rightfully) encouraging untraditional methods to build traditional cars, why not use untraditional methods to get traditional stance?

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

My '60 Chevrolet wagon had bags at all four corners. It literally rode like a modern cadillac... But for irrational reasons, I didn't like it. I truly enjoy driving old cars simply for how they feel. And like I said, I don't enjoy the complexity bags add to the driving experience at all.

Am I at the right pressure? Do I have the car sitting too low? Too high? Am I profiling?

Lee's shoebox is literally as low as you can get a car statically and still drive it. The ride is fine... feels like a lowered old car... I have to know what I am doing to get the car in certain driveways and parking lots, but I enjoy that experience in a weird way.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I couldn't agree more. The feel of driving an old car is a large part of the attraction to driving them, almost like you are going back it time every time you go for a ride. I feel sorry for the people that don't understand what I am talking about

13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I worked on heavy duty trucks and trailers for a long time. The company I worked for ordered a new East aluminum dump trailer and we had to talk them into air suspension. It was the first they did and now it's about all they do. The loaded/unloaded ride was always a problem in trucks. A heavy enough suspension to haul the heaviest loads road very rough when empty. They put aid bags on the seats and the cab to ease the ride for the driver but it still beat the life out of the equipment. Air suspension really cut down on suspension problems. It's easy to change a bag if necessary and a spare bag doesn't cost much or take up much room. Since the systems use a valve to set the ride height, you can also tell how much weight is on the axle by the pressure in the bag to hold it at the required height. They come in handy to avoid having to crank up landing gear. Back under the trailer with no air in the bags then inflate to raise the trailer.

They are a good way to get a constant ride height with varying loads. They can also be set up for varying ride heights when a car might bottom out on some roads. I don't know why they aren't used on modern pickup trucks. Old Cadillacs used air shocks. Chevrolet had it available as an option in 59 and 60.

catdad49 and tractorguy like this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't necessarily feel sorry for them. I think people get into this stuff for different reasons. And I have zero problems with anyone that does it for different reasons than I do or that has different experiences to lead them to differing opinions.

I think my point to all of this is that I understand why someone would want to use bags appropriately. And I truly love some cars that utilize them (Stevo's Cad is probably my favorite Cadillac of all time)... But, they just aren't for me.

longhorizon and XXL__ like this.
  15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I see it this way.
    If a vehicle has an appearance of a new millennial style it is not acceptable.
    Exposed ifs, rubber band tires, frames that look broke, suspensions that look to be missing shocks and springs and billet shit.
    If the car has the appearance of traditional for safety, ride and handling
    Then I don’t judge.
    I definitely drool over a total period perfect rod or custom. It really does have a lot to do with cost, safety and how much it’s driven.

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If you truly want the old car experience, it should be done with the low power engines that they came with. To me, hot rodding was and is all about improving everything from power to handling.

Montana1, Clay Belt, JasonLM and 2 others like this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

One of my cars is a 40 coupe (avatar pic) it has a 49 cadillac engine in it and has plenty of power

Stogy and GreenMonster48 like this.
  18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The air suspension they put on those GM X frame cars to replace the coil springs was not very good. Check out this road test. Skip to 3:04

19. badvolvo

badvolvo

When the first V8 60 was jammed into an A, it wasn't traditional, it built tradition. So what we are doing today, may well be tradition in the future.
    No bags for me, but I am building a 40 Chevy with a 632" non-traditional dart blocked bbc. What the heck, just like that first V8 - 60 or 265 sbc, best I can get my hands on.

Clay Belt and apenglish64 like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We aren’t hot rodding here and The Jalopy Journal in the truest sense of the word. Instead, we are preserving and exploring the history and roots of the term.

There’s a big and tangible difference.

21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Being an old guy my self an having been deep in to hot rods and custom cars in the 50s as a teen,how I see these things ,is not allways how the younger guys do! Things over time get mess with trends that offten are just ugly to me. Any car that can't be driven as it is=broken an needs fixing...... Too that end,if your ride was too low to drive,in too drive way of our Car Hop Drive Inn=You were not cool,just stupid. What I'm trying to say is,cars with less then about 3in.+ of road clear,looked like owner was stupid an that made car ugly. But as time moved on,some not too smart guy some were,desided a car that looked undrivible,broken,stuck in the mudd or tires had all gone flat,looked good to him???? Then came his buddy to think the same way ???? I'm still going too pass on airbag broken look.
    Eye of the time,if you wish to repete the cool stuff,don't screw it up !!!

Saxman, loudbang and Chili Phil like this.
  22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Good point Ryan. I really don’t think that point was really ever brought up.
    You need to add that to our credo.

23. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Been here done that 2 threads locked as soon as the dicusion gets good. the hisotry of the pre 65 full bagged customs will forever have less proof than big foot.

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

whenever I see a bagged 49-51 Chevy "laying frame" what I want to see is the trunk. in my humble opinion if you open the trunk and see the ground you have failed. I've seen finished cars without a trunk floor. the thing that kills me is people put the tallest whitewalls they can get then have to tub the car or the tires will hit the upper wheelwells. I did the trunk floor and tubs in a 51 for a buddy. many many hours and $$$ so the car will be 2" lower than with the original trunk and wheelwells. in my world a car with 4" between the rocker and the pavement looks better than one flat on the ground.

the fact that if they had bags back then they would have used them doesn't mean they would look any less lame than the frame layers we have today.

25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm an old guy and never had, or ever will have bags on my cars. Just my opinion, but it doesn't bother me that someone else has them. If I open a thread and it's about air bags, I just close the thread and move on. No commentary, just move on, same as I would at a car show. Not sure what the big deal is about them......

26. To a point this is true but there is no denying the quality and safety of builds is a far more important factor today than at the time we are trying to emulate. How many "I found this old hot rod/custom" threads have we seen where to a man everyone say fix such and such a safety issue (often a poorly designed suspension item) and then drive it. If someone posted a build thread on here today to the same standards as a lot of cars were built back in the day they would be eviscerated.

bct, jvo, Clay Belt and 2 others like this.
  27. KFC

KFC
    from UK

Okie Pete, catdad49, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  28. Back in my mini truck days I had a low rider blazer , that was so low I used to roll pop can down the street with my front bumper.all static suspension mono leafs dropped a arms dropped spindles springs etc.

Had a sticker on the back that read

ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION IS FOR PEOPLE WHO FEAR COMMITMENT!!!!

29. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

For me, this type of discussion falls into two camps. The JJ is outstanding at maintaining and preserving the spirit/history of hot rods and custom cars – as they were “in the day”. So, I think of it as No. 1, the JJ focuses on the cars and when it comes to discerning what should be allowed on the site, decisions are made by the physical cars (i.e., is this build something that would have occurred back “in the day”). Nothing wrong with that. In fact, that’s pretty awesome. For me, there is a No. 2. And that’s focusing on the people and the living “hot rod spirit” (instead of the cars). That is, for example, hot rodders back in the day took low cost, light weight cars and upgraded them with modern (for the time) engines and other go-fast goodies - new off the shelf manifolds, wheels, engines, etc. So, for me, the rub comes in straddling the line between 1) allowing the cars that would have been built back in the day on the JJ and 2) also allowing the thriving hot rodding spirit to express itself. We can be sure that if LS engines were available in 1955, every serious 32 coupe would have been running one.

Not sure if I explained that well. And I’m not sure what is the preferred approach. You can’t argue with success and the JJ is the most successful car related community I have participated in over the decades(s). I have a traditional build that I hang out on the JJ to inspire. I have a 2015 car I’m building and participate another site for that. And I have a vintage truck (not hot rod) that I hang out on another site.

pat59 likes this.
  30. I see air bags as a staple for the custom crowd and although I don't own a custom I do appreciate the work and time involved in their construction, I for one am glad there is a place for them here on the hamb and applaud the administrations willingness to bend the rules where there is a obvious gray area. HRP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.