Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Thunderado

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Thunderado

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. alchemy

alchemy

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Didn’t foose do a similar proportioned Chrysler in the last handful of years?

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

- that being said this one is way more pleasing to the eye

5. Torchie

Torchie

Doesn't matter where the parts came from as they all work together really well. Very much like a "Concept" car.
    From a time when people weren't afraid to experiment. Some missed the mark and others hit it.
    This one is a Bulls eye.
    Torchie

6. I like it. Not so fond of the tilt "hood", but the rest of the car looks well thought out. Bet it was quick with the Caddy motor. Wonder if it survives somewhere tucked in the back of a garage in Boca Right-On??:D;)

7. You know Don, I actually like the tilt front-end on this car. It is well disguised with the trim along the lower edge and no hood lines makes a smooth front.

8. ...........That is true. It looks nicely done, better than some F-100s I've seen. It just looks like access to the engine would be difficult, probably no worse than a '57-'59 Ford.

9. That thing is cool, GM stylists should be ashamed for not coming up with it first.

10. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Looks like it was painted Titty Pink.

11. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I agree with Ryan. I think it shows the Cuban influence that is an integral part of what makes Miami what it is.

I also think it's a little too clean (drab) looking. Maybe it's just because it's white, but I personally think it could use something to break up the sheet metal a little more.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That is one good-looking homebuilt. I bet it was fast as hell, too! I think it has great proportions.

54delray and dana barlow like this.
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Around 20 years ago, I was doing a lot of work for Burger King and spent probably three months in Miami over the course of a year. No offense to anyone from there, but I hated it. That place just wasn't my jam... AT ALL.

Then, last week I had to go back to Miami for a tool conference that the Garage Journal was covering. While I was there, I decide to do some diving and hooked up with a dive master from Little Havana. Once work was done, we went diving and my DM became a tour guide for me of sorts. We spent most of our time in Little Havana and I fell in love with the people and the food. I had an absolute blast and made a ton of friends.

In any case, Miami is a weird place... From a tourist point of view it has this Euro Trash feel to it with very little regard towards cohesive rationalism. And then, you get in with some locals... go to the local places... eat the local food... get to know some local people... and this old school Americana vibe starts to shoot through the trash and things like the art deco buildings and cuban influence start to win you over.

In a weird way, I appreciate this car more because of that.

14. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

A very impressive build. I wonder how long it took and how much the owner did himself. I agree with Rolleiflex that it could use a bit more dressing on the body contours. However, it appears the owner wanted to simply make this a Detroit-looking piece but something that's a one-off but taking his favorite elements from a Caddy and a T-Bird. He was very successful in doing that. This appears to be such a well-built car that one has to hope that it is still around, tucked in a garage.

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Moriarity can probably tell you all about it.
    Hell - it’s probably in his kitchen amoungst the many other customs scattered around his house.

You have to admit guys back then were artists - not afraid to let their imaginations create automotive art.

16. silverdome

silverdome

I like it a lot. I'm neither a Ford man nor a GM man but that car combined the styling of 2 very stylish cars and made them better. If I were to change anything on it I would change the access to the trunk for functionality purposes only.

dana barlow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that is some funny shit right there.... wonderful car though, wish I had it...

Outback, BJR, dana barlow and 4 others like this.
  18. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Great looking car. Before I checked out the original blog post, I thought that it could have been a GM Motorama car.

dana barlow likes this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

[​IMG]

Reminds me a lot of the Cadillac LeMans concept car from 1953. For a home built custom, it's very well done. I'd bet a really creative builder could make another for abou the same budget this guy did back in the day.

20. philo426

philo426

Just looks like they just shortened a Caddy Conv and added a flip front end.Looks good though.

Clay Belt likes this.
  21. If you told me it was a long lost factory custom, I'd believe you. I think he did a fantastic job overall and it holds up to the test of time as it's quite tastefully done and looks very much like a GM Design Studio creation. Anyone know where it is today?

22. I'm not sensing any particular Florida/Miami vibe at all. It's more like a big ol' slice of American geography pie for me.
    But the mid-fifties force is strong in you, Thunderado. Where do I go to vote for this one?

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Looks good, but a little more length to the rear end would make it better, JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

History of Thunderado ; I not only know this "Thunderado",but help a tiny bit on it when some upkeep was needed in 1957 when tail light wires fryed. I was the skinny teen that could get in behind the seat an under rear deck and fix them. Although that name was used at first,after that was called"The Spook". It was owned by Clark Alexander,of "Alexander's Rent a Car" across LuJune Rd. from Miami Intr.Airport. But it was not built by Clark,he asked George Ikered to build him a custom with as much class as he could,an this was what George did. George could make anything,an for a time owned "Ikered Custom Auto Body" on SW 8th st. close to 12ave. Miami. I learned body work n painting from George an how to gas/ox weld sheet metal,but he could gas weld alum sheets together an make replacement fenders for Ferriai's Bird Gage body ,many others etc.as well, Midget race cars for Shorty Johns in the late 40s an early 50s/that's Bobby Johns dad. Look up Bobby Johns driving for Mickey Thompson an Smoky at Indy an 500,for fun. The T-bird folding top on my Full custom Henry J {that was in Car Craft jan 63} was off the Spook,as Clark hated the folding top[too much work to use he thought ] ,an only used the T-bird hard top when ever he needed top up. To much sun or rain.
    I have no idea were the Spook is now? It was Peril White paint,an that paint was brand new thing at the time. Hope you all enjoy some extra info. I been right here in Miami/Coconut Grove from 1942 to now,with out George,I would of likely never learned to build my high school 28 hotrod I put together in 1959 or my full custom "J" in 1960. CrandonPark1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    Chavezk21, Outback, 54delray and 25 others like this.
  25. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I like it. Wish we knew where it was now

dana barlow likes this.
  26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that is a great looking car. hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like it still has the T-Bird dash... at least it has the Cad motor. very cool.

dana barlow likes this.
  27. Great story, Dana. Thanks for filling us in on the history of the car. I appreciate it even more now that I know the back story. Good on you, Dana.

28. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Thanks for the details, Dana. As you probably know, Bobby Johns also was leading the Daytona 500 at one time, kicking ass in Smokey Yunicks Pontiac until the rear window blew out. He also wheeled Smokeys sidecar, and was still driving sprinters in the late 70s.
    PS, I like the Thunderado also.

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow... This place never stops. Thank you Dana.

30. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.35.34 PM.png

One of my favorites concept cars is the Cadillac Cyclone, a small 2 seater.