Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The KOOKIE CAR is found too!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The KOOKIE CAR is found too!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I have to agree

zzford likes this.
  3. I have to agree, as well. The "Kookie car" and Norm are/were "classics"!

4. There are a few cars that I have drooled over in my time but I have to say that '77 Sunset Strip and the Kookie T are what really nailed down hot rodding for me. I think that car influenced a generation and never gets the credit that it really deserves.

EVL401, rpent, CapeCodBob and 11 others like this.

5. zzford

zzford

I believe that the Kookie T was the first hot rod that had regular coverage on TV. Count me as one of those heavily influenced by that car.

rpent, shark81, tierod and 3 others like this.
  6. arincee

arincee

I agree 100%. This is probably the biggest thing to hit the hot rodding hobby since the Ala Kart turned up over 20 years ago. I, along with just about everyone reading this, would love to own this car. Anyone want to guess what it will cost to own this piece of history ?

Dooley likes this.
  7. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

It was a huge inspiration to my T - I had to have one of his shift knobs, and there's a picture of him and the Kookie in my garage. Hopefully it goes to the right dude with the talent and patience to take it back to former glory. I wouldn't object to the current Watson paint remaining as a few others have mentioned in other threads.

brad2v and dana barlow like this.
  8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Some worthless trivia; 77 Sunset strip was shot at Scandia's. At one time, it was owned by Bob Petersen and the car magazine ad sales reps had charge accounts there. Norm also did commercial work and was featured as the Mr. Clean guy for awhile.

catdad49, mad mikey, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.
  9. butch27

butch27

I liked it too---as you can see

10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Kookie Car - Lightning Bug both were/are historical/trend setting vehicles. How far back does one go to 'restore' a vehicle? Current version has as many years, if not more in its current condition, and was owned by a collector of importance. Should we just live with the many clones, including the excellent ones done by Von Franco? Then keep the Jim Street version as an example of the extreme 'show' car of the 60's?
    We have the restored Ivo car, which was said to have been an copy of Norm's car, with a Buick of course. Is that enough for history?
    What ever version it becomes, the many version have influence many a different generation.
    And it would be nice to be able to see it again out of personal storage.

brad2v, mctim64, HEMI32 and 3 others like this.
  11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

"Kookie, lend me your comb".

dana barlow, WDobos and Rolleiflex like this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

EVL401, Jimmy B, John B and 26 others like this.
  13. It was the right car, at the right time. I consider it the right car for all time.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Franco also did a later version of the 'Kookie Kar...said it was 'the car that ate his brain'.
    After its sale, Norm gave Franco the original headers/collectors from the Lightnin' Bug, as Franco said he couldn't live without the car.
    He mustered his fellow 'Beatniks', and proceeded with another build. Had some small 'bugs' in the new car's Caddy mill, but worked them out quickly. So, the black version (early style, prior to the raised-rear and taller windshield and top, expanded metal 'grille', and the 'Norm Blue' paint, finished with Roth licks from the cowling) again rides the roads, no 'show queen', it was driven constantly.
    Hats off to ol' Franco, who chased the dream not once, but TWICE!
    Footnote: Did either version have 'bump steer'? Just kidding.

296ardun, catdad49, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  15. Franco's clones:
    Vf.jpg
    0112sr10.jpg
    Him and Norm:
    0112sr12.jpg

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

still makes me want a Castle and a Coke !

mad mikey and dana barlow like this.
  17. Rand Man

Rand Man

The TV T photo reminds me of the the time a girl burnt her leg on my cycle pipe. Bad end to a great night.
    I’m pretty sure I saw the current version at the KC World of Wheels when I was a kid. Awesome then, now that seems like something only a child could like.
    Guess I feel that the late sixties is a time that should not be forgotten. I fell in love with Kookie’s car in afternoon reruns, so I would have to go with that version.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rally1 likes this.
  18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

doesn't look like it was modified, just a bunch of crap added to it. shouldn't be to hard to put it back. I like the black one better, but it should go back to blue.

19. has to be one of the most influential hot rods of all time
    timeless

20. A Boner

A Boner

The most amazing thing is the fact that both versions.....the "Lighting Bug" and the "Kookie Car" are grand slam home runs! Arguably the most significant Hot Rod of all time! Too bad they weren't 2 separate cars.....as only one version could be restored.
    The blue one Planted the seed.....found out about the black one after I was officially hooked.

21. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Jack Dooney built a clone in 80's he lived in the Dallas Area does anyone have pictures?

22. I like this one real well.
    b0d54e6641d260a0e3c95d7f427d1b91.jpg

But the truth be known this one is what formed my image of what a T should look like and goofy as this may sound to this day in my head ( scary place to visit) a T roadster should only have flames on the cowl. Guess I am a little selfish but this is the one I like.

0112sr10.jpg

catdad49, dwollam, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  23. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Hard to imagine how someone can buy a famous car like that and change it to it's present state when there have been thousands of kits and T's around to build whatever you want ?

Atwater Mike likes this.
  24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

when that car was modified 50 years ago, people didn't care or know about historic cars...

25. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

keep in mind, its not like Jim Street set out to destroy the car
    He bought it in 1960 for $3,000.00, which would be $25,0000 today not a bad investment.
    Norm was done with the car, Jim was touring the Sahara and used this one as well, that is why Jeffries..(my bad Watson)... painted it.
    In the later 60's to keep its edge touring/car shows it had the stuff added.
    I don't think people really wanted that car until well after that....just my opinion

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    drdave likes this.
  26. Yep something that we don't want to imagine but cars went to different owners and they did their own thing. They were just old cars back then and if it was not cutting edge it was simply just not cool.

mad mikey, drdave and dana barlow like this.
  27. Siva 64

Siva 64

A lot of debate going on with what to do with the Kookie T. Apparently a little known fact is that Jim Street had Larry Watson paint the white pearl/candy red flames on the car (it may have been pinstriped by Jeffries, but Watson did the paint). A very tasteful version of the car (as shown above) existed for some time until Jim Street later added the crazy dual tires and blowers. From what I have seen in current pics of the car, this is very likely still the OG paintjob that Larry Watson applied in '59 (that will no doubt be proven or disproven). IF it is the OG paint that Watson applied, keep in mind that there are thought to be less than 5 or 6 complete, original Larry Watson paint jobs left in the world - I hope that is considered before it is restored to the blue version, of which there is that perfect replica by Von Franco.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  28. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

drdave likes this.
  29. Did the duel superchargers work? Or was it all show with a regular carb hidden in there somewhere?

Killer car in any rendition ( except in its current state)

My mind says keep the Watson paint job and remove all the silly add ons and nonsense.

Could easily build the Jim street silly version on a fibreglass kit just so it’s around and move the silly stuff onto that as a kind of tribute car and a warning a-la “kids, this is your brain on drugs”

brad2v and drdave like this.
  30. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

There is an old man who lives several blocks from my place. We walk by this guys house in a quiet neighborhood for years. One day his garage door is open. He is in there working on one of two vehicles parked there. Couldn't help myself, as just had to speak with him. The two vehicles looked so identical and so familiar. Was told to not take long, so knew fun time was limited. Bottom line is that the rods looked familiar, because they were clones of this pictured black 'kookie' rod. I mentioned the similarity and the old man stated that he had 'built' that rod also !!
    Haven't seen him for awhile now. He invited me to bring my old iron by, as he wanted to look at it and offered that maybe he could help with questions that I had. Meet lots of people out here in lalaland and hear many 'stories'. After reading this thread, I have a renewed interest in this old man and will drive over to his house in my ride. Just maybe his 'story' is worth listening to again.