Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 10si wiring - dash light

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Dan

Dan

Wiring a 10si alt. into the '52 chevy pickup. From what I understand a dashlight wired into the white wire from the alt. is required. I go to the store and pick up a light without reading the package. Turns out its a LED light. Will that provide enough resistance in the circuit or do I need an incandescent bulb? Thanks-

GlassThamesDoug and theboss20 like this.
  2. theboss20

theboss20

LED will not work…something with 194 bulb would be perfect.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

I used a small dash light, light would be on until the alternator spun fast enough to start charging, the light I used was only a few ohms resistance, I had read it should be 8-10 ohms, didn’t have a resistor handy, but unsure if it would behave the same or not.

4. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

Is it important that this light works??? Because I have redone the electric beam and this famous light does not work and I can not start the engine!!

5. theboss20

theboss20

If you un-plug the alternator does it start?

6. Budget36

Budget36

I don’t think the light is your issue for no start, as I recall the resistance is needed to excite the alternator, the light is just an indicator. Your engine (if wired properly) will start without an alternator or generator.

427 sleeper likes this.
  7. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

Ok thank you! Because since I put the Ford in 12v! I have gasoline, air but no sparks, the starter turns well, the battery is new and it turns well but it does not want to start!!

8. theboss20

theboss20

Use a test light on the positive side of the coil with the key on to be sure there is power there and report back…

9. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

She's alive !!!!!!A wire was not connected to the switch key!!!!

Johnny Gee likes this.
  10. like said before an led won’t work. Go to a boat store or on eBay look up dialco or cole hersee for some good looking lights.

11. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

The LED will work IF you put a 50 ohm resistor across both LED connections; the resistor spoofs the resistance of a 3W bulb in this parallel circuit, most of the current will pass through the resistor, but enough current will flow through the LED to light it. I have had this setup working on my truck with a 10SI alternator for more than 10 years now.

12. trollst

trollst

Hook the white wire to the acc side of the ign switch, otherwise the engine will run when you turn the ign off. The acc side is independent of the switch, open when running, but dead when shut off. No need for a light.