Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Dick Jackson's 1954 Mercury

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Dick Jackson's 1954 Mercury

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. catdad49

catdad49

Can you imagine cruisin' thru the drive-in with this?! The Montclair trim is just the right touch for a little extra panache, while the later, scalloped version takes the car in a little less restrained direction. l like 'em both. Thanks for bringin' this to the top.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    54delray, chryslerfan55 and thawk like this.
  3. verde742

verde742

But, Where is it today?

54delray, thawk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The tiger shark is the leading attack species in Hawaii. Distribution: Off the Atlantic coast of the United States tiger sharks are found from Cape Cod, Massachusetts, to the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea. Off the Pacific coast tiger sharks are found from southern California southward.

Good thing you said Atlantic,,,or was that Atlantis??

chryslerfan55 and thawk like this.

5. I love that car

thawk likes this.
  6. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

I dont know where you are but off the coast of Maine, the Atlantic is. COLDDD!!! this time of year!!.... and your doing this on purpose... to pet Sharks!?!?!?..... are you crazy????..... never mind.... dumb question!.... Mark

chryslerfan55 and thawk like this.
  7. I was not aware that Dick Jackson ever owned the Merc. Ronnie Dragoo was the owner when it was painted white.
    It was later painted Purple, I believe.
    Great car and Ron had the perfect 50's name.

Mick

thawk likes this.
  8. 'Mo

'Mo

Dick (Peep) Jackson is every inch a custom guy, having started out while still in school sweeping shop floors at Barris Kustoms, for free. He owned and built a number of great customs, selling or trading most to finance the next build.

Ronnie Dragoo traded this custom Merc, plus some cash, for the '54 (already in white), which was built by Dick and Sam Barris. Ronnie later hired Dick for the repaint, giving him free range of colors. (Apparently the scallops came as somewhat a surprise!:eek:)

{I'd be willing to bet Cerny that had a hand in Ron's Merc.;))
    [​IMG]

Here is a good article on Dick Jackson from Kustomrama; https://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Dick_Jackson

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  9. Thanks Mo, I need to read my Kustomrama newsletters more carefully.

Mick

54delray, 'Mo and SuperFleye like this.
  10. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the links Ryan and Mo!
    Peep really nailed the look of his Merc!
    Ron Dragoo is unfortunately not with us anymore, so the whereabouts of the car is still unknown as far as I know. I will have a look at the Dragoo Collection tonight to see if I have more unpublished photos of the car to share with you!

54delray, chryslerfan55 and 'Mo like this.
  11. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Went out to LA the first part of November on a fact finding mission. Went up and spent the day with Dick and his wife. They are truly great people that I'am glad I have gotten to know.

54delray likes this.
  12. Lil Duker

Lil Duker

Attached Files:

catdad49 likes this.
  13. Lil Duker

Lil Duker

Dick is a dear family friend, I am glad you got to meet him, this sign was at his shop in Compton, then modified and hung in my father's auto shop at la habra high school where he was a teacher,,, it was in his garage after he retired,, after his passing I moved it to the house. Seeing your post brings back fond memories,, my mother and I went to visit them shortly before he passing, been too busy to go up and see him,, now I have to check on him

54delray, catdad49 and lurker mick like this.