Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Dan Gurney

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Dan Gurney

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. slowmotion

slowmotion

The few interviews I've seen of him, the only thing greater than his achievements, was his humility.
    Great, great man. Race in peace Dan.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hear, hear......I agree!

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

RIP to one of the best hot rodder/racer /gentlemen ever.

5. Great blog, Ryan...........for a great man.

6. W O W !! RIP Dan.
    My first little shop was right next to his AAR (All American Racers) in Santa Ana Californis. 1 of the most humble and kind hearted men I ever met. He'd come over to my shop @ times just to see what I was doin and chat with me . Gods speed Dan

Stogy, hugh m and lothiandon1940 like this.

7. Daniel Sexton Gurney (April 13, 1931 - January 14, 2018).jpg
    Daniel Sexton Gurney
    April 13, 1931 - January 14, 2018

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Stogy, mctim64 and kidcampbell71 like this.

8. Dan Gurney with his Deuce 5wd.jpg
    circa 1948 (or 1949): Dan with his chopped Deuce 5wd Coupe

9. In 1950, Gurney drove Skip Hudson’s ‘29 Roadster (with a Ramon Torres built flathead) at Bonneville:

Dan Gurney 'Bonneville Express' - 1950.jpg
    August 1950 - Leaving Riverside for Bonneville
    Left to Right: Ted Bear, Ray Torres, Dan Gurney (greasy T-shirt), & Skip Hudson
    ... with Hudson's #549 C roadster and Gurney's '35 Ford "Bonneville Express"sedan.

Dan Gurney in Skip Hudson's '29 Roadster - Bonneville 1950.jpg
    Gurney on the salt in Hudson's roadster

Dan Gurney - 1950 Bonneville Timing Tag.jpg
    Gurney's timing tag

63fdsnr, warbird1, 36 ROKIT and 7 others like this.
  10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I met him recently at Amelia Island, and he was very gracious. I mentioned that the first time I saw him race was when he ran his Eagle at the German GP at Nurburgring back in '68 - I was stationed in Germany at the time. He was delighted to know I was there, along with a zillion others, who just loved him and would wave and bob their umbrellas every time he came around the old south curve. The race was one of the wettest and foggiest, if not the most dangerous, GPs ever held. Dan got a flat early on, limped back to the pits, and then had a spirited run back to 9th before the end - one place ahead of his qualifying position. Gary
    Web pix. Link http://f1.wikia.com/wiki/1968_German_Grand_Prix
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Curt Six

Curt Six

A couple years ago I interviewed Dan for an article about the late Jerry Magnuson. Here's what he had to say about hot rodding...
    Gurney.jpg

12. 5window

5window

One of the greats who will really be missed. Every kid wanted to be Dan Gurney.

Stogy likes this.
  13. I was first inspired by him when I was racing midgets dreaming of being like him.
    -Mario Andretti on Dan Gurney

Stogy likes this.
  14. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

As mentioned above, folks often don't know he started as a genuine hot rodder. One of the best. Godspeed.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Godspeed Mr. Gurney !

FlyFisher likes this.
  16. pumpman

pumpman

RIP Mr Gurney.

17. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Even though speed shops were a lot more common in the mid '70s they still were slowly passing
    away. When I bought items from "Dan Gurney's Checkpoint America" I liked to think I was
    contributing to keeping his racing efforts alive.

D G C A.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  18. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks Ryan for putting into words what I thought when I heard Dan Gurney had passed away. He was the consummate hot rodder/car guy but it wasn't commonly known because of his humility. A class act if there ever was one. R.I.P. to one of the greatest.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Great stories and pics shared - Thanks. the biggest Thanks goes out to Dan Gurney for being the man/the racer that he was. Sincere Sympathy goes out to his Family, friends and fans

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He wasn't just one hell of a driver either. Even in the latest years he was heavily involved in engine design. Less than three years ago he was granted US patent 9103277 for a “moment-canceling four-stroke engine." Intended initially for use on one of his Alligator design motorcycles, it was a big twin, 110 cubic inches putting out 280 HP at 9000 RPM. Liquid cooled, 5" X 2.8" bore and stroke, with hydraulic cam phasing for RPM dependent cam timing.

RIP Dan!!

Gurney 1A.PNG Gurney 2.PNG

63fdsnr, BradinNC, tractorguy and 3 others like this.
  21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( RIP Mr Gurney. You will be greatly missed.God speed.
    Leo

FlyFisher likes this.
  22. He was a legendary man. RIP.

23. flamingokid

flamingokid

Being an open wheel fan since darn near birth, I always admired Dan Gurney.And when I started racing BMX in the mid 70's , my first good frame was a Dan Gurney Hardtail, which was built by All American BMX.Great early frames that are much sought after now.

Stogy likes this.
  24. deucemac

deucemac

When I read the news yesterday, I felt as though the wind had been kicked out of me. I have the utmost respect for Dan Gurney. He is one of the greatest racing talents this country EVER produced. He blended in to every racing caragory he ventured into. He raced and beat everybody. He really was the "All American Racer" and we all loved him for it. An American on the continent holding his own against all comers, a pioneer at Indy, who's designs dominated the race, made the "good old boys" chase their tails in stock cars, and yet remained humble and gracious through it all. Thanks for a life well spent and allowing us to watch and enjoy! RIP our All American Hero.

Stogy likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ryan if I'm reading your blog correctly you have a somewhat pretty personal connection to Dan...through your father...

I have seen those Hotrod photos with Dan before but never understood them relating to him. Ya learn a new thing everyday.

Your life as we have learned is pretty wrapped up in this Hotrod thing. Its all part of the things so right about being a part of the experience here.

So I extend condolences to you as you are certainly closer to Dan as we have just learned.

Regards,
    Stogy

flamingokid and BradinNC like this.
  26. I remember seeing him at Bridgehampton. Never knew about the five window. I probably have 35mm slides of him.
    Thanks for the Thread!:cool: RIP!

Stogy likes this.
  27. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Like many others here in CA...followed Mr Gurney at Riverside Raceway and watched him smoke the tires at Indy while leaving the pits back in the 60's... had the theater cheering( yah... we watched via close circuit tv back then). Last saw him a few years back at the local Cars n coffee hang out where he drove up in his Aligator motorcycle. Truly a class act. Godspeed Dan.

Stogy likes this.
  28. evobuilder

evobuilder

in the 90s Dan used to run his "Alligator" motorcycle up and down Ortega Highway in Southern California and when he would stop at the Lookout (a place everyone rode to for a break and some grub), he couldn't have been a nicer or more approachable guy. If you don't know about the the motorcyclist side of Dan Gurney, I encourage you to look here. What a guy!

cool37 and Stogy like this.
  29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I was always a fan from an early age. After reading all these "feel good" stories about him, I like him even more. What a gifted, interesting and humble guy.

Now I can't help wonder where his perfectly chopped 32 5/w is today? Anyone know for sure? If not, I have to wonder if it survived and someone is driving down the road in an "old Hot Rod" 70 years later unaware Dan is riding shotgun...

Stogy likes this.