Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cloth Covered Wire Source

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Cloth Covered Wire Source

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

tr_rodder, Randy D, Tim and 4 others like this.
  2. Have you checked with these guys.
    Rhode Island Wiring Service
    I have bought a lot from them and there total supply is un real. Being they have what I need I haven't gone price shopping so don't know how they stack up. I really like that you can get just the Button for the end of wire inside light sockets. Stops using Butt connectors on dash and tail lights.
    The Wizzard

3. 2BF68F00-1F0F-45A4-9144-5133F6CB91A9.jpeg 2CF8937E-72DF-407A-BF39-3C76FAA23A7C.jpeg For those looking for a frugal source make friends with an elevator technician. Apparently they refit those things all the time and there’s plenty of cloth covered wire in them. That’s where I got mine. I knew a guy who’s bother does that for a living. Got a box full for a case of beer.

4. Rusty

Rusty

I have gotten mine from Rhode Island wiring as well. Great guys, fast shipping, and buy what you need

5. Very timely post as my coupe is almost done in paint and body then we can begin assembly and this is what I want to-do on my coupe. Keep the info coming guys.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That braid is fantastic.

lothiandon1940 and Bondo Slinger like this.
  7. i've used Rhode Island Wire many times, been very happy with them

8. alchemy

alchemy

I've used Rhode Island and Brillman in the past. Good stuff from both of them. Sometimes the good stuff costs.

golferforpar likes this.
  9. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Ha...beat me to it. Ask an elevator mechanic that's doing a mod for the old travel cable. It could be a hundred feet long or more, with 50 or more different wires inside.

Bondo Slinger likes this.
  10. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I used Narragansett Reproductions to get supplies for my coupe. They were super nice to deal with and the prices were better that other vendors I found. My order did take a bit to come I guess they had to make some of the patterns I needed.

http://www.narragansettreproductions.com/

11. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brillman Co. Small family run business in Mt. Jackson Virginia. Been there a couple of times. They also remake Packard 440 plug wire.

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

another source out here in the West is Sacramento Vintage Ford - vintageford.com - "The" Bud Bryan, of '29 Roadster Fame, does cloth wiring work there

olscrounger likes this.
  14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buy mine at Sac Vintage-used in many 40's

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Rhode Island wire for me. Beyond the colors you can choose the number, pattern, and color of tracers in the covering. I bought lengths and wired and cable tied a 1959 Fiat a few years back and it came out really cool looking. IMG_20130816_163614_283.jpg IMG_20130816_163614_283.jpg IMG_20131030_165922_237.jpg IMG_20131108_153645_813.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Not trying to hijack the thread, but does anyone make connectors (not a bus bar) for 1 wire in and 2 out? This would be a Y or T connector.

17. I can for sure endorse Brillman.
    I think they cater to the tractor restore folks but also have other good electrical related items.

tr_rodder likes this.
  18. I did my Merc in it, and I also bought the cloth loom. In some places it didn't make sense. Modern zip ties looked like shit. I taught myself the telephone stich with wax covered string.

19. Yes. Rhode Island Wireing. They have both U.S. style as well as British and German. Check out the web sight. They also have matching ends for each kind in solo. Meaning crimp or solder just the tips.
    The Wizzard

20. I bought the main harnesses for my '51 Merc from Rhode Island Wiring, which was very nice quality. I have bought a few smaller pieces from Macs. When I need straight cloth wire I use The Hot Rod Company.

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I plan to use thehotrodcompany plug wires because they are spiral wound suppression for use with electronic ignitions, and look vintage.

gnichols likes this.
  22. Great info here. Thanks everyone.

23. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you need a whole harness, try Tyree Harris in Virginia.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. banjorear

banjorear

It boils down to the details, boys. Love it and keep it coming.

25. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    from ct

26. sidevalve8ba and plan9 like this.
  27. flypa38

flypa38

I've posted this before, but it's still helpful. Although the manual is "updated", most of it applies to old airplanes, which translates well to old cars. Keep in mind, a lot of the techniques used in hot rod builds were the result of maintaining aircraft during the war.
    In this case, check out chapter 11 for lacing wires with cord.......you'll probably like the whole thing though!
    https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol....cfm/go/document.information/documentID/99861