Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Flying Ford Flathead...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Flying Ford Flathead...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Bluedot

Bluedot

Way cool. An all aluminum flattie - whooda thunk? I gotta wonder about the connection between engine and prop. It must have been quite a collection of gearboxes and u-joints, as it had to go under the cockpit. Either that or a heckuva driveshaft tunnel straight thru.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a nicely shaped little guy. I would have put a tail fin on it to see if I could make it more stable and then...

belair likes this.
  4. flamingokid

flamingokid

Very cool, just a downright appealing little bugger.As for the Tri-Motor , there was one out at McCarran in Las Vegas that was used as a very small restaurant.My grandmother and I ate there, and they would occasionally do dinner flights.We had the ground version,but how many people can say that they ate on a Tri. The interior was interesting,it had the Brobdingnagian version of WWII bomber seats and wood paneling, giving it the aesthetics of a 1930's motor home.The 15p definitely meets my style requirements, though.

tractorguy likes this.

5. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Ford's Dearborn Development Center on Oakwood is the old airport. Some of the old buildings are still there, including a big hangar. And the runway, although possibly repaved. Right across the street is the Mariott Dearborn Inn, originally built to provide close lodging to well-to-do travelers. Try Google maps.

6. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

I had a hard enough time keeping tune in my little Stromies at sea level, I cant imagine.....

tractorguy and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was thinking the same thing. The flying flathead threads that start "my flathead stopped running" probably are not going get any responses from the OP.

9. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

I see no provision for carb ice under that Stromie either, yikes! The Ford Fliver, a single place more conventionally configured AC , had a "B" motor. Middle '30's experiment ended with the death of the test pilot. A replica hangs in the Ford Museum. Pietenpols, a popular homebuilt AC , was designed for an "A" motor.
    '

10. tractorguy

tractorguy

Great story ! For anyone who is interested in this kind of stuff, I would highly recommend the WAAM Museum in Hood River, Oregon. I have visited there twice in the last 6yrs on our trips from Wisconsin out to visit our daughter in Portland.

What I love about the museum is the pairing of vintage light aircraft.....vintage motorcyles.....vintage cars. There are several Ford engine conversions on display, as well as motorcycle engine conversions such as Henderson and Indian. I really do have to cringe when I look at the heavy old cast iron Ford flathead V/8 hanging way out in front of the old airplanes......took some really skilled people to ever get them off the ground.....and then actually fly them.

Plan to spend a LOT of time there if you visit. The staff and owners are great people.

Have fun

flamingokid likes this.
  11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Very interesting. I have to wonder if any of those aluminum engines are still around or if any were used in vehicles .

12. badvolvo

badvolvo

Way back when, a friend had a little old plane that had belonged to his father, I don't recall the make, but it had a model B engine mounted upside down.
    Love to see an aluminum flattie, although I expect the standard cracks may be more difficult to repair.

13. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Probably Pietenpol experimental, its a design from the '30's still being built and flown albeit with many other engines such as Corvair and Pinto.

14. badvolvo

badvolvo

I going to ask him. I know they sold it a few years back, might be back flying by now.

15. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jive-Bomber...
    Very cool ! That little guy reminds of some of the current "surveillance" planes that are in use...those small flyers that can get in-and-out of almost anywhere, have night vision, tracking beams, etc.

The technology in the one shown here from decades ago is one-upped in the New Millennium, but can you imagine the look on the kids & adults faces when they saw that over 80 years ago ?! It would have been envisioned in the world's of Buck Rogers & Flash Gordon.

Thanks,
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

16. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Nice history info , 1st time hearing about this, as much as they show on the Discovery channel about "American History"it was never mention when they were talking about Henry Ford , they did mention his attempt to "FORD" town in South America, Cool Airplane ,more like a Bad ass radical design before its time

17. Dan Roth

Dan Roth

Arrow Aircraft of Lincoln, NE built a Arrow Sport V/8, using a 1936 Ford V/8 which was modified for aircraft use. That was approved by the US Department of Commerce. The certificate official #601 dated 4/15/1936 and certificate Official #151 dated 8/12/1936. Arrow did not build many, but there as still a few around

Hnstray likes this.
  18. yhprum

yhprum
    from Phoenix

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Leave it to Henry....an airplane for the masses. I wonder what it would have been like with a tail.... Great design.