Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Crash

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

3. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks for the update, all is well with the world again (at least a small part of it)!

4. Other than the loss of a couple of days posts on the boards and the conversations I don't see any problems yet.

5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

No one is looking for an apology. We're just glad it's fixed.

THANX!!

6. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Looks like Fordbarn is still down?

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes, we are moving on to that one now... Essentially, we have to fix the tables that were screwed up by the broken backup by hand...

8. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to be back. A lot happens here in 48 hours so that's quite a bit of stuff :( but in a couple of days it'll be a distant memory.

In years to come we'll ask "what did you do during the big HAMB crash of 2017?"

Chris

9. 1941coupe

1941coupe

welcome back lol

10. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I did get more done at work the last few days tho.
    Anywho thanks for getting things back in order. Monday looms and I didn’t want the job to think I’m trying to get a promotion.

flynbrian48 and tractorguy like this.
  11. Randy1944

Randy1944

What a relief to have you back.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. ahshoe

ahshoe

Welcome back. In the back of my mind I thought my computer was the problem.You were missed.

13. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Thanks for the hard work boss

14. bobfrev

bobfrev

thanks for the note and figured as much, any idea on when Fordbarn will be back up and running as thats been down also

15. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Ryan:

It happened to me just once so far but yes it was a mess.

I now use Carbonite which backs up everything each day and I also use internal and external hard drives to back up everything.

The best system to one that back up everything ever hour of the day which is what many companies now do it case of ransomware problems.

Jimbo

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

No reason to apologize. Shit happens. You do a huge service for us. For that I thank you.

Poh, Fern 54, tierod and 4 others like this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This is only the second time in over 20 years we've lost data. In 2010 we lost a day of data due to a data center screw up. There wasn't a very good excuse for it back then either...

Hopefully, in a few hours.

48fordnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Deucecoupe

Deucecoupe

Wow !
    Thank you, for makin all good again !
    I thought you guys gave me the boot !

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's a totally different kind of data backup. We are dealing with multiple TBs of data across thousands of tables. The backups here actually run constantly. Meaning, I should be able to restore from back ups from any moment in time. However, this caused a problem when we had a db crash on Tuesday that went unnoticed. So, we were backing up a bad DB for two days... and we had to go back to Tuesday to find a clean backup. That's why we lost the data.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Was this all planned just so we would have another thing to be thankful for on Thanksgiving? Happy Thanksgiving!

Bob

21. Thanks! Now the sweating, shaking, and dry mouth from Jalopy Journal withdrawal will go away now.....;)

48fordnut likes this.
  22. Hey, I'm good! Thanks for your hard work

23. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

When y'all start talking about that stuff I feel like when I lurk on the threads about running nitro or the advanced cam timing discussions. I know the words being used, but they don't make sense to me. Nonetheless, I'm so glad for the guys who do know stuff I don't know so I can keep learning. Thanks @Ryan for all your hard work.

24. 60 Special

60 Special
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I knew something bad happened, it's all way beyond my puter skills! Makes you realize how special the HAMB is to all of us. Now! if you had to pony up to get on the HAMB how many that use it day in day out would pay for it? I believe Alliance Members realize this even though free to all! For a measly buck a week you too can support the HAMB. Come on guys! Point made, THANK YOU RYAN!!

scrapiron and town sedan like this.
  25. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent way too much time checking in on the Hamb, I thought for sure North Koreo was behind it!.....not to worry I can now spend the weekend double fisting some Hamb. Thanks Ryan.

26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Just glad you were able to get it back up:):cool:

27. I didn't realize how much the HAMB being down affected my world until I started to google stuff that all lead me back to the HAMB for the answers. It seems all is right with the internets now that the HAMB is back up. I can only imagine the stress it causes, and greatly appreciate the amount of work that goes into fixing it when it rarely fails.

28. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

When you're dealing with technology, there will always be the occasional glitch.
    But 99%+++ you're always up and available -- even when I wake up at 4am and can't sleep!
    Glad you're back, thanks for all the hard work to get it restored.

29. I got some relief from chatting over on the Garage Journal.......noticed quite a few HAMB'rs over there doing the same thing.
    Am so glad that you are back on line.............quite stressful to say the least I would imagine

30. slowmotion

slowmotion

Chalk it up to 'shit happens' man. No apologies required. Sure glad you got'r figured out though, thanks.