Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Starbird's Fantabula - A Bubbletop Bomber

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Starbird's Fantabula - A Bubbletop Bomber

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I have a special fondness of all things Starbird but this is probably my favorite.
    The last time we were over to the museum, he told us a couple stories about this car.

He pointed out something I had never noticed. See how the bottom of the rear quarter is rolled up on the passenger side? (Also missing its center bullet)
    [​IMG]

3. I was just looking at that and was thinking it didn't look the same side to side. I guess the pass side got folded somehow. Wonder why they would run a pic of the bent side?

Ron Funkhouser and Sancho like this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Darryl told me the wheel came off while they were driving it....

5. That's correct, he told us the story of it happening. Said that Jerry forgot to tighten the lug nuts on that wheel.

6. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

I should have done that to my 58 back in the day.

7. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I agree- Strange the photographer would capture the one damaged corner with the missing bullet cap! Probably didn't even realize at the time...

drdave likes this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It was March of 2002, I drove my suburban and empty trailer to Darryl's museum to pick up the futurian. I wanted to show it at a couple of shows locally,GSTA and the Toppers show. Ran into a terrible snowstorm about DesMoines and it got worse the further south I drove. I ended up hopelessly stuck in Darryl's front yard. My buddy John and I got to spend the night at Starbird's house and we got the personal museum tour with the man himself after hours. The stories were amazing. The Fantabula story was just one of them....

9. Real similar situation with us, we went through with Darryl and Jerry. Amazing stories...

Like how the driver that was flat towing Ty Johnson's Chevy pulled into town, without the car behind him! Darryl said they went back and found it in the ditch, no damage!

straykatkustoms, drdave and Moriarity like this.
  10. I cant recall seeing Fantabula. Wow. The bubble is double and fascinating. Amazing amount of work coming at that body from all directions. That front is right at '63 trend.

Sancho likes this.
  11. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

Great Info !
    Jonny King has the best Kustom Kar Website on the planet. He is a wealth of knowledge when in comes to Kustoms. Awesome interviews.

Sancho likes this.
  12. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does the Fantabula still exist or has it been scrapped or disappeared like so many other famous customs?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. 2935ford

2935ford

Bubble tops are sooooo cooool.......but on a sunny day.......sooooo hot! :)

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah...but if you're 'cute', you look soooo good in 'em!

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Darryl told me that the car still exists and is somewhere in California and had been repainted white

16. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

His grandson was in the shop awhile back and we had a 31` ford pu that Codi had done the metal work on. His grandson is a fabulous metal worker ! And a h#ll of a nice kid too. Takes after grandpa. Nice to see the family tradition being carried on.

Sancho likes this.
  17. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Many thanks Super/Stock Poncho !

AND. thanks to Jive-Bomber for this Thread ! I have been revising and reworking a few Interview pages...and I've completed an expanded revision on the "Fantabula" !

It's easier to view & read, and if you didn't see it, OR, hear Darryl's Interview earlier here's the Direct Link...Darryl Starbird is truly a GREAT story teller and you will enjoy his take on what happened to the Fantabula after he built it: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage168.html

Best to all,
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net