Register now to get rid of these ads!

History An Index of Rod & Custom Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

An Index of Rod & Custom Magazine

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Jungle Jalopy, AndersF and Sancho like this.
  2. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Holy....... That had to been a lot of work...

3. Bravo!
    Good work.
    Just found a listing for a Kenneth Hughes with a 49
    Ford custom in 1955 located here in home town Guthrie, OK. Like to read the full article...

4. Curt Six

Curt Six

Unreal. And invaluable.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ditto, that is cool!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Very valuable IF you have all those mags on the shelf. I was hoping to be able to click on a line and have it open up. Now that would be cool. It's still very useful. I salute Mr. Carroll for having done all the work, hoping it's the Dick Carroll I know. Tim

7. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Just downloaded the file and browsed through it a little...Holy Cow! Thanks, Richard Carroll for all the brain cells burned up preparing this index!

So, who are you on the HAMB? Just a wild guess, but I'd bet that your postings on the board here, just might be somewhat informative.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had naively presumed that such a 'glossary' actually existed around 1968, but where could one find it?
    5959 Hollywood Blvd., at the Peterson Publishing studios, I was sure...and I was wrong!
    Thanks so much to Richard, an arduous task, for certain.

9. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

10. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. There is a guy on here named Richard Carroll. I forget his hamb name however. He @ my age, ( 70's ) and is the sort to do such a task. I'm looking into it.

12. Holy crap, that is a lot of work to be appreciated by many for years to come, including me. THANK YOU.

13. Yes, the index is complete. Found this article from '62 in there. ;)

[​IMG]

14. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Not to hi jack but I ran into Steve Coonan at SEMA a few years ago and asked him if an ongoing index was in TRJ future for quick refrence was ever going to be available since my total recall skills has diminished greatly. He didn't say no but I'm still waiting. :(

15. 2935ford

2935ford

Simply......WOW!

16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That's a great compilation. Some of the year end issues did have the years worth index in the back, but to have evry issue in one document is great.

17. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Id sure pay a subscription monthly to be able to browse all of our old favorite mags page by page.
    Just sayin' the technology exists who has the will power???

Speed Gems likes this.
  18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Ryan thanks for sharing Mr Carroll's R&C index. I have downloaded it for future reference. It should make my library of old rod and Custom magazines much more useful.

19. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

All. Thanks for the appreciative feedback. I'm glad it's useful. It's a thank you to all of you who have helped with my first rod build!!

As timwhit said, my original vision for this included links to the actual articles. That's doable with some old hot rod or custom magazines where the copyrights are expired. But our favorites like R&C are still copyrighted, and I don't want to deal with attorneys!

Feedback on making the index useful is appreciated. Just PM at my HAMB handle "deuce666".

20. cliff549

cliff549

Help I am not as good on computers has I want to be seen an article in a post I can not open any of the articles in this huge index would love to read some

21. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

22. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

This is an 'INDEX'. They're not 'links' to the various articles. You'd have to have the actual magazine issue to read the articles.

Speed Gems likes this.
  23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Stay tuned; it'll be worth the wait.

i.rant and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  24. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I smell a bussiness oppurtunity here! Theirs a social grup here on the H.A.M.B you can join where you can download
    (in PDF form) a few issues that have already been scanned page for page. I'd contribute myself but i just can't bear to take a staple puller to my old magazines.:eek:
    Also @deuce666 has started a website http://99wspeedshop.com/ with a lot of covers and a brief history of each magazine that is worth checking out.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    rottenpop likes this.
  25. Great idea!!!

i.rant likes this.