Register now to get rid of these ads!

100 MPH + in old steel, who's done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CLSSY56, Mar 22, 2007.

1. cbreezer

cbreezer

100 mph in reverse,In my minivan.(then, I woke up)

2. olskool34

olskool34

I went 105 in my stock 53 chevy and boy was it a blast. Things really started shacking around at that speed but I wanted to see what it would do, shortly thereafter the stock 53 inline went to shit. I imagine it was because of the speed I was going and not being run in a long time. It was a blast though.

3. Never mind your not worth the drama.

4. I'd like to have one, just because. Desert raceing now there's something that no one remembers or wants to.

5. johnnykck

johnnykck

1929 Ford model A RPU, my speedometer only goes to 120mph, but the car keeps accelerating after that, so I'm not sure how fast I've been.

6. Probably faster than 100. Contrary to popular belief 100 just isn't the big deal that it was in the '40s.

Actually its not going past the century mark that's the big deal its stopping from up there that's the problem.

7. 100 mph WOW!!

thats what I used to slow down to in school zones (make that OLD SCHOOL ZONES?)

50 years ago there was much less traffic on the road. cops didn't have to be honest or political correct. it was a good time to grow up. cops would pull you over and talk to you instead of grabbing the book and start writing. they would make you pour your beer out and keep the empties. even so when California DMV revoked my license I had 41 tickets in 12 months and 77 total. 100% for speeding. I still have the license that I got under a assumed name with some Ohio papers that a friend had.
    Funny thing with my new license I only had 3 tickets in three years. then I went to court and cleared things up. I still drive the same but only get nailed once every five or ten years. I watch for traps and brake lights that are off in the distance (everyone even doing the speed limit hit their brakes when they see a cop)

I made the trip from Paso to Portland in 11 1/2 hours thats over 900 miles

once in my 48 Plymouth I beat an E-Jags top end the guy almost had tears in his eyes.
    same car another time I was cruising down the 605 freeway and a CHP pull me over said he clocked me at 110. asked me what I had under the hood "it's stock!" I replied. he said "Bull Shit! show me what you have and I'll put my ticket book back in the patrol car" OK Then it's a built 331 caddy with a built hydro and 61 dodge rear end with 2:91 gears. no ticket that time
    I coulld go for ever on the Plymouth

But one that sticks out was in my T bucket I had the top half of the windshield blow out at 125+ that was exciting but doesn't count on this thread because it was a glass body

My Hemi powered 48 ford coupe sitting in the garage, when running highway gears 3.00 and shifting at 8 grand will do 80 in first gear and 125 in second. I never felt good about finding out what top end was with 48 ford brakes and suspension but the chassis is good now and I'll let you know what the top end is later
    this is what bench racing is about, but I laugh in your face when you talk like 100 mph is scary

8. johnnykck

johnnykck

I just did some math and with my 2.73:1 differential and 30" tires at 4000 rpm my car should be going about 130mph and I know I've hit 4000 rpm on the freeway. I'm pretty sure I've hit 4250rpm, wich would be about 140mph, but going that fast I don't take to much time looking at my tach so it's only a estimate.
    Considering my engine has the revlimiter set at 5100rpm that would be a top speed of about 160mph, damn maybe some day I'll find a wide open space to try that out.

9. Cadien

Cadien

Pushed my flathead in a 51 ford to that and then backed off. i didn't know the motor at the time. Probably stupid. Never did it again. Now when I drop that Merc in a roadster, look out.
    LZ

10. 105 indicated in my 52 ford victoria, probably only 95 actual, broke a motor mount , fan into the radiator. I didn't try it again. Funny thing though, everytime I told a buddy about it got at least 5 mph faster.

11. nick3757

nick3757

I had my dads 89 chevy crew cab 454 dually doing around 120. My friend had his 96 caddy sedan deville next to me and that shuts off at 112 and i was pullin pretty good but then i had to slow down for the turn. My other truck is like the dually but with a 6" lift single rear tires and a 406 sbc. That did 95 down the hill with 6 guys in it. Good times with those trucks.

12. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Is a '89 old??????????????????

13. junkmonger

junkmonger

Attached Files:

14. I was 16 years old and it was the day I bought my 1956 Pontiac. Lived in Pasadena and drove out to Hesperia to buy it. I drove back to Pasadena doing somewhere between 95-105 on the 15. Hit I10 west and being a Sunday, it was light traffic. I remember punching it to about 105 for a while. I remember being a little scared by the wheel shaking like a murderer in a line up but being 16, I guess I wasn't that worried. I remember looking at the speedo and commenting to my friend, " We are doing 10.......BAM!!!!!!" Everthing went dead. I dont even remember looking before changing lanes, I just got all the way over to the shoulder (yea, I was in the fast lane). Car was dumping fluid everwhere and smoking. Let it sit and it wouldnt start.
    After trying over and over and finally having the CHP push me off the freeway, I had it towed home.

2 weeks later after it went to the shop it turns out I cracked 5 pistons. What a way to start out but I did it, over 100

15. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

51 GMC pu 91.39mph on the 1/4 mile track at the HAMB drags in Mokan I have time slips to prove it. 160 speedo and I have had it to 130. It gets kinda light and twitchy.
    Pooch

Attached Files:

16. kopis

kopis

yup, 105 m.p.h. on the way up to Paso last year.

17. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Years ago I had a 327 powered Vega that was frequently past 100. It had a nasty habit of throwing fan belts at an indicated 120. About the same time I had a '66 C10 that would indicate 100 though being honest I doubt it really did it.

Before the Vega I had a nailhead powered Buick that I used to street race. I don't remember how fast though.

I once pushed a Pantera into a top end race on the freeway. He was barely pulling me when I ran out at about 140. I think that's the fastest I've ever driven. But that was a big Kawasaki so it doesn't count.

The fastest I've driven anything actually old in the last 20 years is probably only 70-something. I may be getting old, I have a C4 'vette I've never seen indicate 100 mph and probably never will.

18. mad-cad

mad-cad

My street legal 1930 model A sedan went 159.94 at Bonneville last year,still got the ass bites on the fire suit to prove it!:D

19. MFincher

MFincher

1972 lincoln with a 460. I set the cruise on 110 in west texas and let the good times role. Ah to be young again. That was 20 years ago when gas was a buck a gallon. Today I'd go broke. Good times.

20. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Whenever my '72 is stomped, it just dies. Or '73...I don't even know.

21. Been pretty fast in some 60s and 70s muscle cars. I don't think either of my two comets will go over 75-80.

22. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I had my 52 up to 120mph on the way to the march meets with a lot of throttle left to go but backed off back to 75. Found out later that day that my speedo is 10mph off.

350 sbc...stock front suspension with a disc conversion on it. 3.08 gears in the rear = me scared to find out how fast the damn thing will do on the highway.

23. Longbox55

Longbox55

Had my '55 up to 109 once. Was out just seeing how it would do at highway speeds (75-80). Ran it up to about 3500 rpm on the tach. I knew that the speedo is off, it indicated around 78. Well, I ran the #s just to see how far it was really off and came up wiht just a tad over 109. I was pleasantly surprized at how stable it was at speed. Now I gotta watch myself, got a ticket for 63 in a 45 while going to work one day. No goey fasty for Longbox, unless it's on a racetrack. (Hmm, going to Talledega later this month.....)

24. vette man

vette man

Had my 28 a up to 101 then backed it down real loose flat windshield viser like a parashoot short wheel base fenders made it feel like chitty chitty bang bang!! on my way to the soda-jerk in hummelstown Pa. fun all the same!!

25. oletruck

oletruck
    from Hurst, TX

I was racin a buddy on the highway in my '52, he was in a '51. I didn't have a speedo but we were doin about 110. It was kinda hairy cause at the time I didn't have any rear shocks.

26. QQMOON

QQMOON

27. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

[​IMG]

28. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Hey classy56, I see your car all the time running around Waterhole. You drive that thing everywhere! I have the blue 53 Dodge moredoor. You might have seen it parked at Burger King last fall. (What a shitty job.) Any how one night right after my friend bought my old truck (87 Dodge Dakota 4cyl) we were screwing around on New Hanover road and he decided to pass me. Now I know that the truck had a top speed of 85 and I passed him with my spedo bouncing around 95. Still had throttle left but the stock 3.73 gearing with the flathead six sounded like it was about to blow so I let off. The car felt like it was going to float off the road through all the corners on the road. By the way nice car, I love 56 chevys.

29. sololobo

sololobo

(I was a teenage maniac) Lottsa times on a gravel road!! My Dad was a car dealer who loved fast cars and he was foolish enough to let me loose in them. My buddies folks had a 54 lincoln that we would bury the 130 speedo on a reg. basis. Why am I alive? Only the good die young. Now I'm very content to drive 65 or so, what the hell! Geez, it was more fun as a punk ass kid, 100 plus on a gravel road, yee-haw.-Sololobo

30. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

my old flat head with a new 6 speed ran a 16.15 at 89.99 in the quarter. and ive had it to 110 when the small block roadster got away from me at 120 on the way to luckenbach. dam you ron !