Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods # 10 Track Roadster Build- Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Well Jeff, you are not being too street roddy ! We did my pal Ernie's with the slip joint in the rear, and I am sure it's plenty strong, but I prefer the welded plates, it does look more Race Car. As far the front end of the bars, the space gets very narrow in that area, you need all the room you can get, that's why they are mounted outside the rails.

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now for a couple shots with the body off. IMG_8212.JPG IMG_8213.JPG

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never trust a man with a clean garage floor. :cool:

Hotrodmyk, alanp561, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  4. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Marty, what is with the Ardun cover on the one side. Is a Ardun coming?? I need some Ardun covers if those are extras and available.

Stogy likes this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Flatrod, that one is styrofoam ! I have only worked with one Ardun, when I built this car for a friend. They are certainly special. IMG_3202.JPG

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Billy, I mopped it during the holidays ! The floor is usually the cleanest thing around here, I am terrible with keeping flat surfaces orderly......

7. Marty, do your customers know just what a gift they are getting with your beautiful fab work? I have only seen the type of problem solving you do in one other shop. And that was many years ago....................

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they are Hambers I'd say yes...but that's because we have front row seats...:D

OFT, catdad49, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thank you Dean ! I hope to have the Roadster Pickup back on the floor in a few weeks, to try to get it on the track this Summer. I do have a few problems to solve on that one, but it's going to be fun working on it again.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Stogy, I am going to try to put together some short videos when these projects are a little further along. Thanks for your interest !

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Marty you already have awesome Threads...Videos are the icing on the cake really...and I like icing too...so what can I say other than membership has it's privileges without a doubt...thanks for your sharing the journey...

catdad49, loudbang and AmishMike like this.
  12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    In removing and installing the body, does the 'cage' structure drop in from the top with the body already in place? Looks to me that you would have to hold your mouth just right to get everything lined up :D

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Did you see on the other thread, his scrap pile of good parts behind his shop? I always wondered where he kept his clutter. How do you keep the masses from clogging your shop with more work than you can handle? I`m sure you get requests all the time. It`s one reason I don`t post pic`s of projects of customers cars and the techniques used to get the job done.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    catdad49 and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Marty,
    Thanks for the reply. I have a set of styrofoam, but mine look like a sponge! They came in black. I bought a set of raw casting from epay years ago, machined them up but they don't fit, casted to small.
    I am always impressed with your skill on everything I see you do here. I follow all your threads as I seem to have all the same projects as you and now even a COE. Just wish I could do things with the ease that you do!
    Thanks for sharing your talents with us all!!

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bruce, the roll bar drops right in with the body in place, works well with 2 people. Pretty soon, I will cut out the dash, and fab an aluminum one, and the cross support tubes that go with it.

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am very selective with my photos, because of the excess parts and materials, that clutter some areas of the shop. I have been turning down work, so I can focus on the many projects I have for myself.

Atwater Mike, OFT, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Looks like you have a 51-52 COE, I had a 48 that I loved, but the 53 ended up working out better for me. Things are also looking up on my 40 PU, I got the frame and all of the related parts back from powdercoat, so I can start on assembly this Spring. If you get down this way, stop in..... IMG_0391.JPG IMG_8216.JPG IMG_7881.JPG

bymanr, brEad, OFT and 14 others like this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^Oh now your just showing off! I was fine until the truck picture. I can't wait for more on that assembly. I wish I was that far on mine. Happy New Year Marty

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Billy, here is another one just for you, Happy New Year to you as well ! IMG_8217.JPG

20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Loving the color on that truck.

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Marty, your killing me over here!

Atwater Mike, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  22. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Woah dude. What’s that on the trailer in the foreground of the COE pic.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That is Jim Lindsay's first Salt Car. Jim and some friends built it, and he wanted me to mount the nose and build a hood. Before it was over, he changed engines to a Dodge flat four, with a blower, and the car evolved as the pictures show. That started our long association, with me building cars for him, including the Lakester shown above. Lindsay 1.jpg IMG_5851.JPG

El Hueso, dwollam, OFT and 6 others like this.
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's Washington Blue, single stage, Glasurit 22, paint code 22638. I have a great painter from Portland, Duane Olofson, @ Acme Welding Body Shop. I couldn't be happier with the job !

Hamtown Al, dwollam, Tman and 7 others like this.
  25. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Beautiful just beautiful

26. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Got it. Cool looking profile and looks fun. Obviously I don’t get out much…

27. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Just, "WOW, Marty! ". I'm plaigerizing this to the max! This is a thing of beauty! If mine can turn out 1/10th as good I'll be extremely happy. It's too bad there's 3000 miles between us. I'd be knocking on your door. Oh well...

catdad49, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

IMG_8235.JPG
    Thanks Dave. I fabbed and tack welded the front seat brackets tonight. I had a piece of 10 ga with a short 90 degree bend, that was just long enough to make all 4 brackets. It's getting tough on an old man, to lay on a creeper and tack with a Tig, but I got it done. IMG_8222.JPG IMG_8223.JPG IMG_8225.JPG IMG_8227.JPG IMG_8228.JPG IMG_8230.JPG IMG_8232.JPG IMG_8233.JPG IMG_8234.JPG

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    bymanr, brEad, Stogy and 15 others like this.
  29. alchemy

alchemy

The seat mount cross tubes are actually crossmembers of the frame? Ingenious.

Stogy likes this.
  30. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Very nice Marty. I agree, getting down on a creeper to tack weld with a TIG is hare work, almost as hard as getting back up off the creeper.o_O