Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods # 10 Track Roadster Build- Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Soooooo, who do you have to know to get one of those Strode Racing Equipment tshirts...

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  2. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Larry, that's a good question. I'd like to know as well.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I will have to think about printing some shirts, the postage is expensive these days. We had a mini-mini cruise here today, and it was quality over quantity. Doug Grove drove the 30 roadster, with a 425 Buick for power, down from Olympia. He is no stranger to long trips, he drove it to Cruise The Coast, in Mississippi a couple of years ago. The 57 is local to me, original paint and interior, less than 10,000 original on the clock, 270 hp, 3 speed. We had a fun visit. IMG_5146.JPG IMG_5151.JPG IMG_5147.JPG IMG_5155.JPG IMG_5156.JPG

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Larry, I think I can take care of that, if you don't mind the long, 15 minute drive.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  6. The '30 roadster is very nice. It's good to see one with it's original radiator shell.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Yeah Dean, a lot of work went into that car, like filling and chroming the shell, and flushing the doors, all done with taste. IMG_5148.JPG IMG_5149.JPG

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Phil, I did get a phone call, we talked for an hour. I was able to fill him in on some of the details about the car, looks like it got a good home.

loudbang, bymanr, saltflats and 2 others like this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Speedway finally got the seats in stock, they showed up today, I can proceed soon. In the meantime, a walk down memory lane, showing the one I built for Indy racer Rolla Vollstedt, during the build process. I have to think, one of these with a healthy small block V-8 would be a fun ride. IMG_5215.JPG 046_46.JPG

Tim, alanp561, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sitting here wishing that I had the extra money to have you do the frame for one for my flathead.

loudbang likes this.
  11. A Boner

A Boner

I can think of a real healthy Chevy engine that would be a real fun ride...with a full hood though!

loudbang likes this.
  12. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Well, I think that I may have just found a purpose for my '64 Chevy II 283...Damn you Mr Strode.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  13. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

loudbang likes this.
  14. RodStRace

RodStRace

Stock = Up to 1 HP per Cu. In.
    Mild = Up to 1.2 HP per Cu. In.
    Hot= Up to 1.5 HP per Cu. In.
    Healthy = Over 1.5 HP per Cu. In.
    Healthy means the engine sounds :D

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I picked the hottest day of the year to go back to work, but this what I got done today. Laid out and bent the seat mounting tube rails, and got them fit and tacked in place. I also cut holes in the body for the roll bar to pass through. Once the body is back on and the roll bar installed, it will be time to finish the seat and seat belt mountings. IMG_5292.JPG IMG_5294.JPG IMG_5295.JPG IMG_5297.JPG IMG_5296.JPG IMG_5298.JPG IMG_5300.JPG IMG_5301.JPG IMG_5302.JPG

16. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Very inspiring. Don't leave us hanging. More updates please. I need more solutions for my project. Plaigerize, plaigerize, plaigerize is my motto...

alanp561, brEad and loudbang like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Brassworks are building the radiator, It should arrive in a few weeks. After it's mounted, I can build the hood, and move the project along. I have been mopping small jobs, headers, roll cages, and such, in the meantime.

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Well, I am getting back to work on this, and my RPU projects. In some earlier posts, I told about the loss of my Brother Jerry in April. About a month later, my friend Ernie Martin was diagnosed with Brain Cancer. For some history on Ernie and I, it goes like this. I grew up in Hillsboro, a small town 20 miles west of Portland. In the later 50's when I was around 11, my Brothers had cars, like 40-46 Fords, and the family car was a 49 Olds. You would see primered early Fords, Chevys and an occasional Plymouth, with loud pipes, and some accessories from JC Whitney. There was only one finished Hot Rod, a red 32, 5 window, we would see it in the distance, but never knew who owned it. I was looking through the May 1960 R&C, at the store, and spotted the car, and after reading the article, I saw the builders name, Ernie Martin ! Our family moved 35 miles away the next Winter, and three years later I would start building my first car. We moved back to the Hillsboro area in '67, and I started hearing about this guy named Ernie Martin, and found out it was the same guy. For years of hearing about him, and seeing him at swap meets, car shows, and even ran in Destruction Derbies at the same time, I met him in 1983. A mutual friend, took me to his place on a Sunday to introduce us. When he heard my name, he said, I have been wanting to meet you, I am getting ready to build a 32 Coupe, and I want you to weld up the chassis. That was the start of a wonderful friendship, for the last 37 years we have been inseparable. Our exploits with race cars, Dragsters, Gassers, along with our Dwarf Cars, Hardtops, and Track Roadsters, on dirt ovals, provided so much excitement and fun. The car functions have been spread over 7 states. Ernie could fabricate and weld, as good or better than me, but we kept him busy with building engines, transmissions, and rear ends, as he was a master of anything mechanical. I could not have had a more loyal, dedicated friend, and mentor, always a man of his word. After the tumor was removed in early June, they gave him 30 to 90 days to live. The only bright spot was, after the surgery, he was the very same person as before, tough as nails, a believer, and satisfied with his life. During that 90 days we took a couple of road trips, one to the Drags at Toutle, and he was doing so well, I got the false sense that he would be with us longer. The 34 pickup in the pictures, had been his oldest Brother's having bought it in '52. Ern went totally through it, 12 -15 years ago. It needed new tailpipes, so I made some out of stainless, and gave them to him. There was a small cruise at a local Walmart, so he put the truck on the lift, installed the pipes, called me and said, let's go ! I drove him on that Friday night, the following Tuesday night he had a seizure, and we lost him days later. A few years ago, he started saying, "when I go, I am leaving you the roadster". True to his word, one month ago, he told me to pick it up, and in Ernie fashion, he kissed the hood to say good by to it. We laid him to rest today, there will never be another like him . R.I.P. Dirty Ern ! IMG_5617.JPG IMG_5618.JPG Fast Lane track-t's 010.jpg 053_53 (2).JPG IMG_0165.JPG img20200918_0017.jpg IMG_1563.JPG 186.JPG 184.JPG

Tim, dwollam, catdad49 and 23 others like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang I am sorry for your loss. 37 great years as close buddies is great to be able to reflect on though. I lost my best friend who was more big brother than buddy last year (Ron Moore) .
    It's nice to see that the roadster got to pick it's next keeper and will have a good home and might even get to go out and play once in a while.

20. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your long time buddy. Unfortunately any words I write will do little to comfort you in these times.

As with all of us, he lived, he loved and he left, and what he left was lasting memories of his good nature and the good times you had together. Stay safe Marty.

21. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Gosh Marty,I'm sorry for your loss.True friends are few and far between.

22. Your right Marty, friends like that cannot be replaced. Memories of such great people will live on forever.RIP Ernie.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and High test 63 like this.
  23. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Sorry for your losses Marty. Godspeed Ernie!

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  24. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Marty, I am so sorry for your loss. Just keep him in your thoughts and he will always be with you.

25. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    I knew something was up when you didn't update your threads for so long. Glad you took the time to be with your buddy during his last days. Godspeed Ern!

26. Sorry for your loss. An old friend of mine just passed; always seems like there will be time and then there isn't.

27. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I am sorry Marty One of the major negatives of getting old is outliving those we love and share so many memories with. RIP

28. loudbang

loudbang

Sorry for your loss :(

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

My condolences on the loss of your friend, Dirty Ernie, I can relate as I lost my 2 best friends who happened to be brothers about 10 years ago.