Register now to get rid of these ads!

10 Bolt rear questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35Chevy.com, Mar 12, 2009.

1. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

I need to put a pinion yoke on my 10 bolt rear below is a pic of what is on there now

after doing a bit of research it seems that some people are replacing the crush sleeve with shims.

What are the advantages of shims over the crush sleeve?

Does anyone have a tech on installing shims and setting the preload?

Thanks, Gary
    [​IMG]

2. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

All a crush sleeve does is use the compression of the yoke being torqued down , crusing the sleeve so that the bearing has a predetermined amount of load on your bearings so the race thats in contact with the pinion surface doesn't spin.
    Yep, you can shim it.......if you got dial indicators, shimstock and the punches. You like being a machinist???????

3. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

They sell kits with the shims to replace the crush sleeve, Im sure you dont need a dial indicator, punches and Im also sure you dont need to be a machinist.

So Back to my origional question

What are the advantages of shims over the crush sleeve?

Does anyone have a tech on installing shims and setting the preload?

Gary

4. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

You can have a setup that will work with a high horse engine, ie, less pinion walk, pinion not trying to ratchet on the ring gear, yada, yada, yada............its best to use a dial indicator.....you don't have to, like there are a lot of people that put bearing shells in their blocks and rods....no problems until the fit isn't right.....

5. How ,pray tell, do you use a dial indicator to set pinion preload?

6. dbradley

dbradley

http://ratechmfg.com/gmsolidspacers.htm

Includes instructions. Preload is measured with an inch pound torque wrench.

12-15 in lbs for 10 bolt (used gears)
    15-25 in lbs for 10 bolt (new gears)

Advantage I see is way easier than trying crush that (&&_*_& sleeve :D

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  7. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Thats exactly what I was looking for.

Now if I could only figure out what to do with my dial indicator. LOL

Thanks, Gary

8. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

YOU DA MAN!!!!!!! OK, you can get a bearing down to say 0.000 endplay, and this is with a indicator, then you can go so many degrees on your pinion nut and get a certain amount of preload. Once you stack up solid on your pinion with your bearing, some people say its a mute point from there on out.
    When we set a rearend that has a engine of 750 H.P. or more out front, you got a good 4 link, some slicks, a good track, a rearend thats setup to .001 to .002 on ring gear lash instantly goes to about .006 to .010. everything has to mesh right with everything, beyond a certain point, things start breaking.....this is the reason for the shim kits........

9. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

inch pounds on a bearing preload..............? Dawm.....I've been a over torqueing these dawm things......

10. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

but, how would i know this.....i only work on those ole cheesey AA/FC's............

11. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Its not the torque on the pinion but the torque required its the torque needed to spin the pinion after the pinion nut is tightened

Gary

12. rottenrod

rottenrod

if your just installing a new yoke you can mark where the nut is with paint so when you put it back together you line the paint marks up, check your turning torque and it should be good to go no need for a new crush sleeve

13. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

:eek:Your right......I stuck my foot in my ear................:rolleyes: