Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 10-Bolt Posi Confirmation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mechanic'ly DEclined, May 12, 2021.

1. Need the experts @ HAMB

Looking to purchase the 10-bolt attached, listing says 3.73 posi, crossed referenced it w/ internet pics & looks legitimate but wanted ya'll's confirmation, thank you!

IMG_5913.jpg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

That's a Gov Loc, the absolute WORST of all limited slip differentials. They have a history of breaking rather easily. I'm surprised GM is still using them. They have used them in everything from the 7.5/7-5/8" rears to the 14 bolt truck rear ends, which really seems odd; you'd think with their history, they'd go with a better type of limited slip, or maybe that's why they use them, to get the repair work..
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  3. That looks like a factory GM limited slip. Whats it out of? S10? Camaro? Having worked at the dealer when these were new, I would def pull it apart and inspect it. There appears to be a lot of debris inside i think.

4. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

Nothing good about that unit. Save your money and keep looking.

5. Thank you! Appreciate the advice, saved me a big day trip! Not to mention the specific part I’m looking for

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. They work fine if they are serviced regularly and not abused.

It’s the fact that we tend to use them other then directed.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  7. I’ve had quite a few late model Chevy trucks with them and never had a problem with them, but the trucks were all stock. A buddy’s dad used to work at a local Buick/GMC dealership, and brought one home they warranted for noise. My Buddy had a very nasty 455 powered Skylark. Like high 10 second street car nasty. He was still using a ten bolt axle with relatively good success, one weekend he had Posi problems. The next weekend he showed up with the Gov-Lock installed, it lasted exactly four runs before it self destructed. It was interesting while it lasted.

57 Fargo and Blues4U like this.
  8. It came out of a late 80s/early 90s Chevy truck, was going to put it behind a 283 power pack

9. squirrel

squirrel

it would probably work ok in that application...depending on what you plan to do with whatever car/truck you are putting it in.

but that kind of rear is usually too wide for anything that's on topic here on the hamb :)

10. Yeah, I was thinking about just pulling the posi & gears possible?

11. squirrel

squirrel

as long as the rear you want to put it in is the same type of 10 bolt. There are several different flavors...so be careful! One way to discover if the parts will swap over, is to look up the part numbers for gears and bearings by application for both rears, and compare to see if they use the same parts.

and you'd have to set up the gears to mesh properly, which might require stuff and knowledge you don't have at this time.

Blues4U likes this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You probably should tell us what you're wanting to install a "Positraction" in. If you're thinking of taking the Positraction and gears out of the Gov Loc equipped rear end, those parts will only fit another of the same rear ends. Your profile says you have a 58 Chev, 62 Chev, and a Model A. The 58 and 62 take the same rear ends (third members); 55-64 full sized Chev, 56-64 Vette's, and 62-64 Chevy II/Nova are basically all the same (some parts for them are weaker/stronger however depending on the car they were originally in). Since we don't know what's in the Model A........................ Me, I would run from the Gov Loc and any parts! They are really the odd ball of the limited slip differential world. When they spin, say on ice, those spring equipped "lugs" get thrown out by centrifugal force and they engage the spider gears causing them to lock into place/lock up; it effectively turns the unit into a "spool". Once the spin is stopped, or you go into a corner/turn, the lugs are released, and it's back into normal differential mode. Seems there was a guy on the HAMB who removed the actual Gov Loc components, and just used the clutch plates as a more normal limited slip differential (he added some other parts, the side plates and springs to make it work). Course I tried to find that thread and could't, so it is probably older than the "new" format here (that is now several years old). I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Beyond being a Gov loc, it's also one of the wimpy 10 bolts too. There are a number of other 10 bolt rear axles that GM made that are all stronger.

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

There are plenty of 10 second cars running a 8.5 10 bolt.. Parts interchangeability is good, I used a 8.6 gear set from a early 2000's truck in a 75 truck 8.5 with a cone clutch posi carrier. Clutch pack LSD is better.....Just have to consider the gear ratio carrier "breaks"

joel likes this.
  15. It’s for a Model A build; found a ‘67 El Camino 8.2 10-bolt rear w/ 3.08 non-posi so was hoping to upgrade the third member.
    Not doing anything crazy w/ it like taking it to the track just interested in beefing it up a bit

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

As I said, there are better 10 bolts and the 8.5 is what I was referring to. I ran an 8.5" 10 bolt behind a stout built 427 BBC for decades and never broke it. Only change was ring and pinon, and stronger axles.
    But in the last 5 or 6 builds I've switched to 8.8" Fords simply because they're much stronger, much cheaper, and easy to find. They also are basically a copy of the 12 bolt GM rear, except larger axles, axle tubes, and higher 31 spline count axles.