Register now to get rid of these ads!

#1 reason to NOT let a 16 year old behind the wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hammerndollie, Jun 15, 2011.

1. hammerndollie

hammerndollie

BOOF! Well this is going to be fun... This is a car a customer just picked up from a guy who let his 16 year old boy take it for a spin...right into a tree! Poor little '33. Well, now I am on the hunt for a donor body. It looks like a bitchin' firewall so that will be easy, but I need to get a good driver cowl side with 'A' pillar and jam, the brow above windshield, the roof section above the driver door, and a good driver door. Anybody know of a 33 34 anything hit in the pass or rear?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

3. NoSurf

NoSurf

What about that guy in North or South Carolina that makes model 40 body panels? Pete got some parts from him.

4. Well I guess he can't get mad at the kid.

Was the little fellar hurt beyond repair?

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. babaydoll

babaydoll
    from BD

You've lost your soul with that car! It must hurt! But you know that you should be gentle to the kid! You were 16 once!

6. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Steve's Auto Restorations- SAR - that's the out fit that is making complete steel bodies for 33-34 Fords. As I understand it they will sell you what you need all or part. Won't be cheap, but if the parts are as good as "they" say you should save enough in labor costs to come out even.

7. Donnie Smart is his name I believe. Hi Jay!

8. hammerndollie

hammerndollie

The kid was fine, thank goodness. I have contacted SAR, waiting on a reply. The body, in my opinion, is repairable. It just comes down to whether or not it is cost effective to fix it, or find a better steel body in need of rust repair. I have succesfully talked the new owner out of fiberglass. Not that there is anything wrong with glass, just hurts resale, not like that front end doesn't... I also tried to talk him into going back to straight axle, but he's a good ol streetrodder and loves his billet bullsh*t.

9. NoSurf

NoSurf

That's the place!

Thanks!

http://store.realsteel.com/

[​IMG]

10. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

man my dad would have kicked my ass...

11. hammerndollie

hammerndollie

Anybody know how to contact Donnie Smart? I did a search but only came across other HAMB threads.

12. I know his contact info is in one of those threads. I was just looking at all that stuff a couple of weeks ago. I'll look at lunch if you don't find it.

13. zman

zman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Garner, NC

Don't blame it on just being 16.

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

He HAD a hell of a lot more faith in his sixteen year old son than I could ever imagine having in mine. I've seen him drive.
    I was 16 once too, and I would have torn the dogshit out of it even if I didn't wreck it.

15. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and make a whole new one... the kid, I mean.

Just tell mom that one didn't pass inspection, and she'll have to pop out a replacement.

16. Love the kid but don't let 'im near the car again!

17. Deadbird

Deadbird

It sucks that the kid smashed that car. But don't lump all teenagers in the same class. There are some out there that have their heads screwed on straight. My boy's still learning, but he's doing fine so far.

18. corpsewheelie

corpsewheelie

haha oh man poor dad, when i was 15 my dad bought a 64 gto and i bought a 65 we wrenched on them together fully restored and then mine to a pro street. you gain so much more respect for your first car and all cars when you have to build it from the ground up yourself.
    -Lou

19. ROFLMAO! Outstanding!

20. when we have kids, there first car will be something like a late 80's early 90's hundai or what ever, preferably something worth more in scrap metal then it is as a whole car...

21. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I think that is the exact reason my dad took a break from hot rods/ street rods. I turned 16! My dad always had some neat toys. 1948 Angila, 1938 Chevy Coupe, chopped 1970' Monte Carlo, Vettes, but for some reason he took a break from hot rodding from the time I was 16 until I moved out!

22. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

My daughter, driving for less than a year, just totaled the first SUV I bought her so I doubt she'll be rolling my 31' anytime soon!

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

thats a tuff lesson to swallow

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put my daughter in late 70's Mercury Monarch two door. With a six and automatic. dead nuts reliable and built like a tank. She ran it in the ditch one night and the girl riding in the back seat didn't know that they had run off the road. I pulled it out and she drove it home with only a couple of scratches from the brush.

But in the case of the coupe that is the focus of the thread. You don't send your 16 year old or any other person of any age out in a vehicle that has more power than they are up to handling.

That coupe body looks like it has a lot more bad things (suspect work) going on than just wreck damage. I think I would want to strip it to bare metal before proceeding too far.

25. Donnie Smart's # is 828-874-4609-Valdese, NC. His stuff is perfect. I am ordering soon as well.

26. hammerndollie

hammerndollie

Thanks alot curbspeed. I also am interested in finding an oppositely wrecked body, partial body, cowl or driver door, even if rust repair is nec.
    Oh and I loved the "did not pass inspection" comment. Perfect!

27. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

"#1 reason to NOT let a 16 year old behind the wheel "

oh ok, and ADULTS don't wreck cars?

28. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Maybe they do. But thats way to much car for a kid his age. Clearly!!!

29. at least the kid was okay. I know it sucks about the car but it can be fixed, fortunately

30. zman

zman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Garner, NC

For that kid yes, but I know adults that did the same thing... and I know 16 year olds that were very respectful of a hot rod and it's power.