Register now to get rid of these ads!

#1 Cunningham Le Mans Corvette Reportedly Stolen SHOWS UP !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ArtofHotRod, Aug 26, 2012.

1. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have a little insight on this one... and have dealt with one of the players on another matter. Trust me - this one is gonna get messy.

3. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

I must agree after hearing more from people close to CE than the print ..Oh Boy ! Too bad the walls don't have ears

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

4. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

oof. what a mess. i hope whatever the truth is, that is what prevails.

5. sawzall

sawzall

Interesting, very interesting.

6. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

my girlfriend took care of his wife and she was given box's of stuff from his racing day's and his museum that is no longer open....
    and looks like he tried for the Americas cup in sailing because i had seen some stuff about it in one of the box's. she also has all the story boards from his funeral.... I need to go through all of that stuff someday.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  7. Florida and messy just seem to go together.

8. hemifarris

hemifarris

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So, it was found, then sold, found again and now being hidden by the people who found it the last time, who may not really own the car? wow. Ugly may be an under statement.

10. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Sounds like a lot of drama and popcorn on the way....

11. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

don't change a thing

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There seems to be a batch of cars that were stolen years ago that all of the sudden are showing up along with people holding the original title showing up to claim them.

Evidently the family holding the title never got paid off by an insurance company or they wouldn't have the title in hand.

13. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

This reminds me of the old Warren Zevon lyric: Send lawyers, guns and money ... the shit has hit the fan....

14. jimdillon

jimdillon

This will not be resolved quickly or easily. Look at the title. Was it recently issued (re-issued)? It appears to say 8-17-2012. If I had the car I am not sure I would give up the car without a battle. This one may end up in the courts. How hard is it for one to march into a state title department and demand a new title without a physical inspection and/or some pretty good paperwork? It is a mess. Should be interesting to see how it unravels.

15. busch167

busch167

"I have sold the car to a third party, who wishes to remain anonymous at this time."
    You bought and sold a car that may be stolen and are upholding the wishes of the "third party" -------INTEGRITY??????

16. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Holy crap,they hide the car from the police? Wow,the balls.

17. I am thinking someone sees $$$ signs and wants a pay day. If the car was stolen where is the police report? If you own a Corvette and it is stolen you'd report it as such. A total Cluster Fuck like the Shelby Daytona coupe case, there was a shit fight over ownership of that.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A retired 'law enforcement official' and a judge. What's the worry? Sounds like a lead pipe cinch.

19. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I read an article on this car the other day. I failed to see the significance...it sounded like a race car that was crashed and never even finished the race...so what's the big deal?

20. I am more of a Shelby then a corvette guy but appreciate all American muscle!! You need to go back and re read the article or get a new one. A lot of American automotive racing history here.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  21. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

NYS didn't title cars until 1973

22. bonesy

bonesy

Yuck - what a mess.

23. srp707

srp707

If this car is what they say it is it's a million dollar ride. Rick Hendricks has one in his museum and as raced in nice shape and that's what he said. This car looks rough but what a find. Who knows the truth I'm sure there's 3 sides just like a divorce.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's #1 of the three built and the one that was raced by Briggs Cunningham, that is the significance.

Stolen, probably changed hands a few times and stashed in a warehouse for a lot of years.

And just like art work there are guys will buy a car that may be or is stolen just to possess it even though they would never be able to show it or make it known that they have it.

25. There must be something about Florida and rare Corvettes. I've been following the 1957 Motorama Super Sport Corvette ever since I saw it 20 years ago. It got sold, went to New York, then down to Florida, and then it got stashed also. It may be restored, or not, maybe parted out. All I know is that there are ownership issues, title problems and no one has seen it in years. If anybody knows the status of this car, please let me know. Weird!

Attached Files:

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

All of the facts are not out yet and I don't think I should be the one to spew them... mainly, because I don't know the whole story either. BUT, there is some deception on both sides. Right now, it might look like the folks in possession of the car are mainly responsible for this deception. However, check this out:

http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Dan_Mathis_4941467/

That's the man that was issued a title to the car just this year and is claiming the car as his own. An arrest for fraud in 2010 makes this story all the more cloudy.

I'm telling you fellas - this one is gonna get hairy... Crooked cop against passionate car guys? Wrongly accused well-doer against greedy thieves? Tune in later!

27. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I'll wait till the movie comes out...

28. pumpman

pumpman

OOh boy, this is going to get real ugly.

29. dad-bud

dad-bud

I think I'm with pwschuh - it sounds like there's enough twists to use in a new series of Dallas - no wait!!!! There IS a new series of Dallas coming - prolly more interesting really - at least there'll be some t & a to look at.

30. jmoney11d7

jmoney11d7