Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1/8 NPT BRASS TEE IN HYDRAULIC BRAKE SYSTEM OK?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Steve Lowe, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Steve Lowe

Steve Lowe

The 1/8 npt brass tee fitting in the photo looks like it should work? I've have seen similar fittings on brake systems. The stainless hex nipple is rated for 9,100 psi., but the brass Tees are only rated for 1000 psi. I'm guessing this may not be safe? Anyone know for sure? DSCN2466.JPG

2. BJR

BJR

Should be just fine. Seen it in use many times without any problems.

olscrounger likes this.
  3. Hren59

Hren59

You’re all good

olscrounger likes this.
  4. RmK57

RmK57

That's exactly what I used. The original brass junction block in my Bronco has been there for 54 years with no problem.

olscrounger likes this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were three in my 56 Ford from the factory..

6. Use a good brand of brass like Edelman.I once picked up a piece of brass at a hardware store that leaked brakefluid right through the wall of the fitting.Seems hardware fittings are made from pressed cindered brass so it looks solid,but isnt.

7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Get it at at napa or your favorite auto supply not Lowe’s or Ace

lothiandon1940 and Truck64 like this.
  8. Street tee would eliminate using the extra nipple.

Beanscoot and nochop like this.
  9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Parker or Sweglock has what you need in steel or stainless steel . My old Harley has 2 in the brake system . If I trust them on 2 wheels 4 should be no issue what so ever .

Chappy444 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  10. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The street tee is Weatherhead 3750X2.

nochop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. i hope they are OK to use... i have 3 in my coupe...
    Chappy

nochop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

How much pressure do you think you can generate with your right foot?
    Sure as hell isint 5000 psi. It will be fine. Most automotive brakes systems before 1980 use brass parts. They went to coated steel because its cheaper, not better.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  13. Often an inverted flair is what gets used, but NPT also is used on brake systems. The edge that @Steve Lowe has here is that he used a hydraulic fitting as opposed to a water fitting. That is the biggest mistake that I see most people make is that they got to the hardware store and walk out with a water fitting, which works but is not correct/

OK I said all that to say this, yes it'll work fine and I agree with @BJR 100% ;)

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the fitting @Beanscoot recommended.....
    Street T.jpg

15. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

No problem with the fitting you are using, to use less fittings & cleaner look , you could get a male pipe with a female inverted with female pipe T .
    Some brass fittings are getting hard to source,
    About a mouth ago , I was looking for a inverted 3/8 tube female to male #6 Jic , called weather head and , Parker & few othe company's, No one made it I was told, So last week I was getting ready to Machine a few , then seen that Earl's makes it in steel , $8 each versus few hours worth of tooling ,I Purchased six of them.

The pressure switch,, I know alot of people use it , But I will not use one ,Specially on a single Reservoir Master cylinder. I have had a few people ask me to install one . I have seen 2 out of waybe around 50 blow out over last 30 yr . & HD uses them on there Bikes.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You don't want to see the mess I came up with on mine but it used the NPT Tee, Ford brake switch and two adapters from NPT to female flair. Worked without issue for 15 + years except for the switch crapping out every other year.

17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've used a brass street T on many 100's of plumbing systems on the chassis I've built over the years and haven't had a problem to date.

18. jaracer

jaracer

Ford used that brake switch form many years. However, I did see one blow. My dad was backing our 63 Monterey out of the garage and backed through our fence when he found he had no brakes.

19. That's what an E brake is for. Even on a late model an E brake is a good idea. :D