Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1/4 midget cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rwilly, Apr 10, 2016.

1. rwilly

rwilly
    from seattle

IMG_0648 (1).JPG I got this at an garage sale today and when I was googling the transmission builder it led me to this site. I have been a lurker here but I don't think I have ever posted up.
    Its powered by an Austin 948CC 4 cylinder and has a Stelling transmission.
    According to the info I found, Stelling was an aftermarket gearbox builder in Glendale, Ca. They advertised in the back of Hot Rod magazine.
    The engine is froze up, but I might be able to get it going.

View attachment 3187023

What are the Midget sizes, 1/4, 1/2?
    I suppose they are determined by engine size?

2. cs39ford

cs39ford

image.jpeg image.jpeg I would say 1/2 I had a few 1/ 4 and are a lot smaller Could also be 3/4 My 1/2 was powered by indian 45 engine Cushman 3 wheel rear end Crosley front end Hope this helps

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Man how i would love to have that to tow behind my el camino. congrats and more pics please

4. Looks close to TQ specs. (3/4 midget) 1/4 midgets are much smaller and run 7.5 cu. in. air cooled engines mounted over the rear axle, similar to a go kart.

5. rwilly

rwilly
    from seattle

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Thanks for the info.
    My 8 yr old son thinks it's a go-cart. I told him it probably went as fast as 100MPH, and it isn't for kids. It's a big boy toy. He said, "don't worry dad, we can get to go only around 25MPH and drive It up and down the street"
    It's push start only. Still has a Lucas coil on it. The engine will probably need a complete rebuild.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool find - right place at the right time