Register now to get rid of these ads!

1/24th Model Car Dioramas...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. luciomduran

luciomduran

3. Crazy! When i first clicked the link I knew they were dioramas, but my eyes tried to argue telling me they are real! It helped to see the pics with the shot setup.

4. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

5. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

it's crazy....if the head lights where a tad clearer the Falcon would have been dead perfect

6. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

I can't believe how many times this has been posted.

7. He needs to add some oil spots on the streets and driveways. Then I'd be totally fooled!!!

8. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

Well I'm seeing it again for the first time.

9. Swifster

Swifster

Is it 7 times now?

10. Kettleman

Kettleman

Amazing and pretty damn cool!:)

11. Amazing stuff! ... and very cleverly photographed.

7 times? ... I saw it for the first time last week in Mazooma1's Holy Smokes! Check out these models! thread ... where are the other 6 posts?

EDIT: Nevermind, a simple search found the other 11 :eek: :

* HOTRODPRIMER's If you have ever built a model,,You need to see this. thread
    * dustdevil's Check out these old pictures! thread
    * cool57's Old car photos slide show thread
    * Proto38's cool pictures of some model cars thread
    * YAPP's Old car scenes in miniature..pretty cool thread
    * George's model cars thread
    * copshopcoupe's post in the Sunday Models 1/31/2010 thread
    * Ace Brown's Model photography thread
    * Ghost28's Incredible automotive modeling shots. thread
    * swi66's Great pictures and talent, check this out! thread
    * oj's Check this car collection thread

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  12. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Yeah, this guy ought to be world famous by the end of the day judging by how fast it's spreading over the internet. Very fun stuff !

13. Is this the 4th or 5th time in as many days?:eek:

14. retro54

retro54
    from PA

It's really great to see quality work going 'viral' on the internet instead of some stupid human trick from youtube...

This isn't the only board that has picked up on this, I've had several e-mails since mid-last week from friends who do not frequent here.

I have looked to see if he has some sort of professional webpage advertising his services and haven't found one... the only thing I did find hinting to his background is from an obscure British model shop website stating that he was an Architectural Modeler by profession... I would just enjoy hearing a bit mroe backstory on the man behind the amazingness...

15. froghawk

froghawk

Most of the cars are unmodified Danbury and Franklin Mint pieces. The real beauty here is in the scratchbuilt buildings, the setup, and the keen "eye" for perspective he has in composing the scenes. They truly convey an authentic sense of time, place and mood. The ones where he's adjusted the color to emulate vintage film are just stunning. The best model photography I've ever seen!

16. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Sorry I didn't know it was posted so many times or I wouldn't of put it up this morning. I had never seen it before and by the looks of it a lot of others hadn't either. I'm sure it won't be the last over posted topic either. I still think its cool.

17. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

Did you hear the one that goes "What's the best kind of _ _ _ _ _ _ for my 19_ _ Ford with a _ _ _ engine?" ;)

18. I think Jay just had writers block today so he grabbed the first thing he saw..........;)

19. Damn Trent ... it must be nice to have over 18,000 HAMB posts and not have to worry about getting BANNED :rolleyes: :D

20. Here's a bit of biographical info from his flickr<SUP>®</SUP> profile:

Michael Paul Smith

Hometown: Sewickley Pa.
    Currently: Boston Ma, USA
    I am: Male and Taken

I was born in 1950 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

It is still my Spiritual Geographical Center even though I have been living in New England now for over 40 years.

My model making skills are an accumulation of numerous and varied jobs I've had over the years. Everything from text book illustrator, wallpaper hanger and house painter, designer of museum displays, architectural model maker, and art director for retail stores.

My love of the 20th Century has been a constant inspiration for all of my work.

... and (in his own words) some info about his work:

Photos of my models

Our past is a powerful draw and in so many ways we try to capture it in order to explain it to ourselves.

What started out as an exercise in model building and photography, ended up as a dream-like reconstruction of the town I grew up in. It's not an exact recreation, but it does capture the mood of my memories.

And like a dream, many of the buildings show up in different configurations throughout the photos. Or sometimes, the buildings stay put and the backgrounds change.

Visually, this is heading towards the realm of ART.

NO PHOTOSHOP WAS USED IN THESE PICTURES. IT'S ALL STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA. It's the oldest trick in the special effects book: line up a model with an appropriate background and shoot.

The buildings are 1/24th scale [ or 1/2 inch equals a foot ]. They are constructed of Gator board, styrene plastic, Sintra [ a light flexible plastic that can be carved, and painted ] plus numerous found objects; such as jewelery pieces, finishing washers and printed material.

21. retro54

retro54
    from PA

Thank you Hemi... didn't think to look there... nice to be able to do what you love for no other reason than that you love to do it.

22. Jay knows I am just picking on him. Gotta have a sense of humor to last here. ;)

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Et tu, Jivebomber?:D

24. almost... seems to be more fun than the real fullsize cars... almost ..cept the griping

25. First time I've seen it.

I can't imagine the discipline it takes to......build so many BONE STOCK model cars!?!?!?!??!

Wow.

JH

26. MODELA30

MODELA30

Very nice just unreal. I really don't like snow but man on those old cars it just looks cool!!!!!!!!! Knuck from indiana

27. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Fantastic. I enjoy the hobby of buiding model cars, but would never have the time or patience to do work like that. Maybe when I retire...still would not look as good as that.

28. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Its funny- I wrote this post over a week ago, but it just went up today- Should have known it would have be hit by everyone else on the HAMB before I could get it up there!

Ryan's said it before, but its tough to get an exclusive scoop around here!

Sorry for the redundancy, fellers- I'll keep digging for next time!

jay

29. Jay ... no apologies necessary ... a guy could look at these dioramas for hours ... every time I view his flickr<SUP>®</SUP> album, I see some small detail that I hadn't noticed before ... just too cool!

30. this is impressive. he should do a remake of this:
    [​IMG]
    :)