Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1/2" Battery powered Impact Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Dec 13, 2020.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Saw the topic earlier on most useful tool. Want a 1/2 heavy duty battery operated Impact tool for removing stubborn lug nuts on trucks and other heavy duty projects, I need lots of torque, many have different levels & don,t have the torque required. What ( torque) wrench would do the job / Gene in Mn

2. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I can't say what will, but I can tell you my Ryobi 1/2 battery impact won't do the really tuff stuff. It'll do must car & light truck lug nuts, but when you get into the heavy stuff with 140#+ torque, rusted on, no way.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Milwaukee... every Saturday night dirt track racer has one... studs are 5/8” not 1/2” and you need it’s power.

partssaloon likes this.
  4. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends what you call heavy duty truck (semi or f450 type). My Milwaukee 1/2 high torque is strong but not Kenworth or Sterling strong.

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Makita 1/2 inch and it has been awesome! I worry a bit that it has too much torque. No trouble on rusty lug nuts on my Dodge 250 it has way more power than my Chicago pneumatic 1/2 inch

6. My Dewalt works fine but you have to watch what and how you are tightening. Plenty of power for loosening anything I've tried it on. Regardless of the brand it makes life a little easier with a little squirt of Kroil prior to the attempt.

7. One of the guys at my work bought the Milwaukee high torque 1/2 impact driver.

it will take off 1-1/2 and bigger forklift lug nuts like they are a puny little 10mm license plate screw !!!
    Light and easy to use, next tool on my list.

careful as there are 3 models they all look the same but the torque out put varies wildly.

Attached Files:

62SY4 likes this.
  8. 62SY4

62SY4
    from Irwin, Pa

I have all Dewalt cordless stuff so I'm partial. I love my 1/2" 20v rig, but it's not rusty 5/8" stud tough, but pretty close. Not sure you are going to be using 1/2" drive battery stuff on over the road trucks and off highway equipment.. that's 3/4"-1" drive territory for the most part.

Some of those numbers @VANDENPLAS posted on Milwaukee's equipment are impressive, and they do make good tools, all my corded stuff is Milwaukee, excluding my metabo grinder.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. 325w

325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have a Rigid brand. Strong.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. mcmopar

mcmopar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Strum, wi

1/2 inch Makita with 1100 ft pounds of torque. Takes everything off or breaks it, but I love it. It goes to the track with me all the time, one of the best tools I own. I never had a air one that did stuff that this will do. Takes my harmonic balancer off my 340 mopar with no problem.

Tony

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

My workplace has now gone to Milwaukee Fusion and getting away from DeWalt.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Guy at work has switched over to Milwaukee also.

He has the hi-torq 1/2 and it will break stuff. Its impressive and brought back faith in me for battery power again.