Register now to get rid of these ads!

0 to 200 mph in 1.5 years.... Step 1 - ummmm, metalshapes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep. We are really gonna do it. Two kids that have never even been to Bonneville before are going to attempt to build a 200mph street coupe with little to no budget and a complete and total lack of know how... Seriously, we are as niave as a couple of gear heads can be. Clueless.

That's where you guys come in. We plan on using the group knowledge of the HAMB to get us to Bonneville in 2006 or '07 or whenever the hell we get there... and we plan on documenting everything here on the HAMB. You guys can pick our work apart, laugh at us, teach us, yell at us, whatever... It's going to be great fun.

So where do we start? Well, we have nothing. Zilch. Nada. We know we want a coupe (most likely a model-a), we know it will be powered by a pretty nasty small block, and we know we both have to fit in it as we plan on driving it to the flats from Kansas City, MO. Ohhhh, and its gotta have some what of a traditional hot rod vibe to it.

The most responsible thing to do we are guessing is to start at the platform/foundation - the frame. A low center of gravity seems to be pretty important, but this is gonna make fitting both of our tall asses in the car a problem. And then I started thinking about Metalshape's roadster and how roomy it was... And then Kevin realized he had a 30/31 coupe in pieces in his rafters... hummmm.... ummm, Metalshapes???? How the hell did you "unibody" that roadster of yours? We need your help - serve it up. Pictures would be rad.

Any other thoughts on chassis? Keep in mind that we are firm on doing a coupe from 29 to 31.

2. I built myself a 31 coupe about twenty years ago Ryan and I want to share this little tidbit of Info with you guys...
    Use a AA frame from a 1-1/2 ton truck all exposed portions look same as a stock model A when body is on frame...
    BUUUUT -the AA is 1/4" thick frame rails instead of 1/8".also nobody thinks theyre the shit [​IMG] so its cheap!
    Should make a sturdy twistproof platform for ya.
    They are way longer,so ya bob it at the right length and install a car rear crossmember.

3. McGrath

McGrath

This should turn out to be a story worth following... [​IMG]

4. Killer

Killer

make sure the frame os o.k.

Over kill.

Seriously.

BTW, get a rule book before you start building.

5. AV8 should have some good ideas,he has posted pics of the yellow Tardell roadster here before.

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

I think you have seen all the good pics I have of the build allready...
    I did not take nearly enough when I was building it.
    But thats OK, I could take some more to show you some details.
    If you or Kevin are ever in this neck of the woods, we can lift the Roadster up so you guys can see how it fits together.
    If you guys would like me to help, I could do some Fab work for you here and ship it to you.
    I am going to build another unibody frame anyway ( and maybe more than one...)
    If the rules say you can channel the car, I think you can build a Model A at a total height of less than 40".
    Depending on how much chop they will allow...

7. NOoooooooooo, first step is to score a current SCTA rule book so you'll be able to pass tech. You have to build the car around the rule book. THEN, you plan the build. I'd like to be included in this endeavor in somw way, if nothing else, to follow along on the road to Bonneville [in my 41, natcherly] and pit for ya's at the salt...lemme know if I can procure any parts also.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Step ONE, Get the SCTA Rule Book! They say you need three, one for home, one for the shop and another spare for the office/worksite. [​IMG]

9. Got access to a Hausefelt bender, with a couple measured drawings we can bend up the cage for you and send it down to you in pieces. I mean as in free. I will spring for the material and donate the time. Randy, the pal of mine with the bender has done dozens of certified chassis.

10. 1. read the rule book FIRST
    2. re-read it
    3. The LEGEND, Mr Weesner created the following drawing....
    (this is what I want to build...I suspect that I am not alone... [​IMG])
    4. It doesn't have to be pretty, just fast....

Cheers,
    Drewfus

Attached Files:

11. JamesG

JamesG

I know NOTHING about this subject, but I will say this..... KEEP SAFETY YOUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY.

And good luck Mi Amigos! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

Rocky is right, the best way is to study the Rulebook and build the car to fit it.
    I have found a loophole before, and the Tech guys had to agree that it was within the rules, but the next years Rulebook was a little more specific... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit,
    I have some ideas, but not all of them are Traditional...

13. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

You really need to start with the rule book. Order one today. They have some unusual rules but generally we have found that they are that way for good reasons. Look at the records in the book and the engine sizes and you can get an idea of what you have to do.

This is a great site for lots of information and serious racers that can answer your questions http://www.landracing.com/

The build up of our car is at this site http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/temp-pictures/hooley-2004.html

I will try to help you any way I can.

14. (St. Joseph, MO) While meeting in a small corner office in a shitty little town, Kevin Lee and Ryan Cochran have laid down initial plans to join the 200mph club.

Ryan, seeing how the plan was hatched here (St Joe) the way I see it some of the means to get you there should too. I have a polished hard anodized 6-71 blower that will need a drive to throw your way.

15. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I trust you saw the Thacker/Shine roadster in this months R&C...That car is INSANE.

Hit up WZJUNK. He was involved with that wicked Stude that did 200+ it's first time out. VERY impressive feat.

It would be easier with a PONTIAC motor than with a Chevvie, but you know...

I'm excited already...-Abone.

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I was very impressed with the chassis in this car. check it in TRJ 18. that’s were I ripped off the pic.
    [​IMG]

17. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

You need to use a pair of 40 ford hoods for the nose.....

Either a 37 ford tube front axle or the mopar double dip..

That would rule.

It seems space won't be too much of an issue... The rear end will be hard mounted right? You could make it so the rear end bolts to the top of the frame.

Damn, I could get into woking on something like that.

You guys rule.

18. Hooley and John [and Purple Pickup] speak from experience...it was a joy to hang with these first-time 200 MPHers last summer at the salt. Talk about positive attitudes!
    The photo has nuthin to so with Hooley and John but this shubox prolly ran in the same or a similar class and I just dig the looks of it

19. river1

river1

[ QUOTE ]
    Step ONE, Get the SCTA Rule Book! They say you need three, one for home, one for the shop and another spare for the office/worksite. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually four, one more for the shitter.

later jim

20. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Have you considered the purchase of a rule book? [​IMG] By the way, 200 is very fast. At Speed Week this year we (I crew for Wilson and Waters) bumped the E gas roadster record from 197 to 202. That's with a 259 inch injected Chevy. It is a runnin' son of a bitch. If you think I'm fooling about how fast it is, wait 'til Cword shows up. What if you make it? Give it hell Ryan. Wayno

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I ordered two rulebooks today...you guys act like we're actually going to put these things down at some point throughout the day? I'll be back LATE tonight - my wife is home and I need to hang out with her for a while.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, we ordered the rule books already... We don't care about breaking records, we just want the car to fit in a class - any class...

Metalshapes, we might take you up on that... we need to talk.

200mph is damn fast... I've been well over it in the 1/4 mile before! Seriously though - both of us are clueless and that's going to be the fun part.

23. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Congrats! Here’s a good start; the Landspeed email list. You can read it from the website instead of getting tons of email. Very friendly and very helpful folks here plus some of the S.C.T.A. officials gladly answer questions. I hope to get there around the same time - going for the M/VOT record with Laura BLEED driving! (V8/60 MIDGET RACE CAR)

http://www.team.net/archive/land-speed#browse

Attached Files:

24. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

If you guys need a rule book to dog ear the pages. I have one that you can borrow. Also, for the Model A or parts, there is that boneyard in the KC area that is only open on Saturdays that has lots of parts that you guys could use. I can PM you the addy. With my new job, Saturday's are kinda limited for a while.

Chris

25. plan9

plan9

what do you guys need other than chassis/body? gonna run an automatic or stick? i probably have some stuff that can be used for that part of the drivetrain [​IMG]

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I've never been either but I can imagine flying down rough salt in a 75 year old car at

roughly half the speed of sound has got to be a thrill!

and now don't go pushing the date back! what is this '07 crap?

you said '06! I already asked for that day off!

Paul

27. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Hit me up for any speed parts you want on the cheap. We can do the same deal as last time.
    I don't have anything to donate, but I have a SBC Victor intake that is brand new and would go very, very cheap to this project.
    We were planning on going in 2005 again... might have to do it two years in a row!

28. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

hey metalshapes, if you end up doing some work for the car and need a hand i'd be happy to pitch in, gratis. Wish i had more to offer, but all i got is time.

29. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

metalshapes is a god, he rules.

I wish I could help in some way, but like Manuel on Fawlty Towers, "I know naaathing."

I was thinking a great platform would be an Anglia, not the gasser style one but the Harry Potter one. Severely chopped, blown SBC, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to drive it there.

I dunno, I'm just dreaming.

30. Rand Man

Rand Man

One of the keys to going fast on the slippery salt, is to add a lot of weight. I could design a chassis that could be filled with water. Although it would not be traditinal, it would look like you hada very slick belly-pan (very traditional). Fill er up when you get there and dump your load for the ride home.