Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ‘64 C10 rear disc brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LSX64, Oct 5, 2020.

1. LSX64

LSX64

Hi,

I’m in the process of rebuilding a ‘64 C10, and am working on the rear brakes. I upgraded from the 17 spline axles to 30 spline, but kept the 6 lug setup.

In my process of swapping over to rear disc brakes, I bought 88-98 K1500 brake rotors, which have the 6 lug pattern I need, even though the center bore is a bit too small for the hub on the axle shaft (I planned to have it machined out).

I bought a no name caliper mounting bracket & attempted to mount GM metric calipers I bought, but the lower guide pin is hitting the rotor and has no way to go through.

So I started to look for smaller diameter rotors, and found 2001-07 Mitsubishi Montero rotors share the same bolt pattern & are smaller in diameter to clear the pin. However, the inside of the “hat” has a lip that now hits my axle & won’t allow the rotor to slide on. I tried to have it machined, but the shop said they couldn’t do it.

Ultimately, my question is, is there an OEM rotor I can buy off the shelf that’s smaller in diameter than 11.8 inches, has a 6 lug pattern, and has a deep enough hat to fit my axle?

I feel like I’ve searched everywhere, called a few places & they couldn’t recommend anything...please help!

2. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe look at modifying your caliper mount to work with what you have? I assume the rotors and calipers are compatible? I/e you’re not using a caliper made for a 9 inch rotor on an 11 inch rotor

3. LSX64

LSX64

Thanks Budget, that’s something I thought of as well, might have to buy new brackets to give me more material or have something made up, seems like there’s not enough room on my current brackets to drill a hole further out

4. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Performance online sells kits I think the rear discs are from early 80s Cadillac