Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ‘58 Ranchero On Uhaul Car Hauler, Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aRustyPatina, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Howdy Folks,
    Hope I’m posting this correctly.
    Will be picking up a ‘58 Ranchero.
    Have been searching the web looking for bumper to bumper and door skin to door skin measurements.
    I’ll be using a uhaul trailer.
    Any experiences?
    Thanks in advance.
    Will

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. No but I hauled my 58 Ranchero on my 18’ tilt deck no problem.

3C5D6B02-B585-40E6-BB11-1AD9280EA6E6.jpeg

abe lugo and aRustyPatina like this.
  3. I transported my 55 f100 a couple times on the full u haul car trailer, and had zero issues. The fenders even fold down on uhaul trailers to allow you to open the door while the car is on the trailer. Only part I didn’t like was the fact that there is no straps for the back end of the vehicle, only a chain and two tire straps to hold it forward. But it held my f100 on the trailer for the 5.5 hour trip it took north.

aRustyPatina likes this.
  4. Towed a’50 Merc with a uhaul trailer......hung off the back a little.

aRustyPatina likes this.

5. exterminator

exterminator

6. fuzzface

fuzzface

You have this setup with uhual yet? Just make sure your tow vehicle is heavier than your load otherwise uhual has been known to turn down people for this.

aRustyPatina and slim38 like this.
  7. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

I once used a U-Haul trailer to carry a 1956 Ford Courrier, the clerc said the car is too heavy and he didn't have a '56 Ford in his book anyway!!!

I ask if a Pinto is listed.....he said yes...I said ''same car but older''....since then, all the cars I carry are ''Pintos''.

Clay Belt, abe lugo, slim38 and 4 others like this.
  8. Stooge

Stooge

according to google, a '58 ranchero has the same wheelbase as the '58 edsel (116")a buddy and I towed from Iowa to Boston a few months ago, although it was on a Penske trailer, ( I believe the Penske trailer is about 10" shorter than the uhaul trailers), fit fine although the rear body hung over the front and back of the trailer, but more than enough space on the trailer for the wheels to be secured. No problems the whole way home even with some dirt roads right off the bat and some long stretches of rough highway
    trailer.jpg

aRustyPatina likes this.
  9. eberhama

eberhama

remember...if uhaul asks, your hauling a VW beetle with a 3/4 ton truck :)

10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Probably better tell Uhaul you're hauling an 86 Honda Civic.
    They say my 2013 f100 cant haul a full size car.

aRustyPatina likes this.
  11. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Some guys check their chains and straps a few times at the start of the haul, bad habit, check your gear often through the whole trip.

12. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I hauled a '47 Pontiac convertible from Macon, GA, to NC on a U-Haul, probably 15 years ago w/'93 Chev short bed Silverado. Toungue was too short - squirrly on I-20 & I-95 at speed limit.

aRustyPatina likes this.
  13. Thanks Stooge!
    That’s the type of pic I was looking for!!
    Thinking of attempting to back it on put the engine weight over the axles.

14. It’s the reserved. Using my brother’s quad steer GMC “Denial” to haul it. Only about 200 miles.

Back in my early 20’s I had 4 friends, a trunk full of tools/floor jack and towing a 1958 VW Bus loaded with doors, engines and transmissions we got a deal on. It wasn’t until I turned 27 that I realized that was probably the riskiest haul ever.
    I mean, after all, we were running high rev using 3-4 gears never hitting 5th around 70 mph in a 1985 Jetta!!!
    I was invincible. I hadn’t factored other drivers into the equation until I turned 27.
    W.

15. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I put a 1957 Ranchero on the larger of the two sizes U-Haul car trailer without an issue and went over 150miles. You should take note that U-Haul has two different size car trailers, not much difference but just enough in some cases. Both take a 1 7/8 to 2 inch ball

16. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Make sure you have enough tongue weight or you will be fishtailing all over the road. Don't exceed towing capacity of vehicle and you have to remember you need enough braking, especially going down long hills.

aRustyPatina likes this.
  17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That idea is not a good one. Car haulers are designed to keep the weight at about 60-40 loaded front first.

Like harpol said check the tie-downs at about the third stoplight and then gradually stretch out the time but check at every stop.

18. evintho

evintho

Hauled the '54 home 200 miles using a U-Haul trailer pulled by a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500. No problem at all. The '54 has a 115" wheelbase, is a little over 6' wide and just under 17' long, bumper to bumper. A tad over 3200 lbs in weight.

[​IMG]

Elcohaulic and aRustyPatina like this.
  19. The guideline for this is 10% of the total trailer load should be on the tongue. That is, load 3,000 lbs, tongue weight should be 300 lbs.
    If you don't have trailer brakes, I would be concerned if I was towing with a light, short wheel based vehicle. You might want to stop in a hurry, but the inertia of the trailer will tend to destabilize you, particularly in a turn.
    Bob

harpo1313 and aRustyPatina like this.
  20. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob's right. U-haul trailers are equipped with surge/inertia brakes so hauling with a little vehicle could be a thrill a minute. I'd opt for a big 1/2 ton pickup at the very least.

aRustyPatina likes this.
  21. Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard

The narrower trailers are painted red/orange, the wider ones are galvanized.

aRustyPatina likes this.
  22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

23. CF3C60D4-7132-403A-BE49-F876988BE463.jpeg
    I second the load it forward, and check tie downs every so often. And don’t overload your truck.

aRustyPatina likes this.
  24. Roger that!
    The bigger one is galvanized vs. orange paint.

25. Lol, have an old one I could borrow; wood deck is questionable at best!

26. Brought my 51home from near Buffalo, NY to WV on this one behind my 2017 F250 and they didn't question the 10,000 Lb Gross of the truck. 51 on the trailer close r.jpg Already had the ramps down and front straps off in this picture.

27. Here's the proof, would have liked it further back more but the straps decided where the front wheel went.
    shop 001a.jpg

aRustyPatina and studebaker46 like this.
  28. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Do NOT back it on the trailer! It is impossible to get enough tongue weight and is an immediate crash waiting to happen!

aRustyPatina likes this.
  29. scotts52

scotts52

Go online to their website. You can reserve it. It will let you put in the tow vehicle and what you're towing and it'll tell you if it's ok or not. Once it says it's not suitable, change the towed vehicle until the system likes it. That's the car you tell them you're towing. I always tell them it's a 90s Toyota pickup. Never any questions asked.

And whatever you do, don't load it backwards. You'll scare yourself to death pretty quick or end up in a wrecking.

aRustyPatina likes this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

Hauled many a car and truck on U-Haul trailers. They pull great. I hauled a 57 Fairlane 4 door hardtop from Fl. to Tn with no issues.

aRustyPatina likes this.