Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ‘55 Lincoln Y fit ‘58 Fairlane??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aRustyPatina, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Have a line on a ‘55 Lincoln 341 y block. I know that nothing from a Ford y block won’t crossover and that parts are hard to get. It’s cheap and was rebuilt in the late 70’s.
    Hoping to hear from someone who might have done this. Maybe know if the motor mounts are similar.
    I have a 223 that runs well and has been swapped for temp power so I can wait for info.
    Thanks.
    W.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Its not a bolt in.

Motor mounts are compleatly different as well as frame mount geometry.

Requires removal of the frame mounts from the Lincoln and installing them into the 58s frame.

Need a cutter and a welder. The good news is you have all the parts , you just gotta cut them out of the 55 and weld them into place on the 58

Go for it !!!

Oldmics.

3. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

THE MOTOR MOUNTS FROM A '57 MERCURY TURNPIKE CRUISER ARE AN EXACT FIT AS THE TP CRUISER MOTOR IS A LINCOLN MOTOR & THE '57/'58 MERC/FORD SHARE A BODY SHELL/FRAME . Check the mid-'50s Ford parts vendors.

loudbang and aRustyPatina like this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Why would you want to to do that? I understand that you have one! But scrape that engine and get an FE, 390, 410, or 428, bolt in, many speed parts, I could go on....but you understand.

Bones

aRustyPatina likes this.

5. Again - the frame mounts are different on the Lincoln/Merc engine when compared to the frame mount of a Y Block . Its yet another different and proprietary frame mount for the F.E. engine.

3 - different V/8 engines / 3- different frame mounts. Probably 3 different motor mounts also.

And since you already have a 6 cylinder installed , I have no idea about that mount.

Oldmics

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    aRustyPatina, loudbang and egads like this.
  6. In '57 Mercury diverged from Fords, got it's own frame/body so I don't know if those parts will work.

That larger shell was also used through '59 for the senior Edsel models, in '60 Mercury went back to the Ford-based design.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    aRustyPatina likes this.
  7. vickckik

vickckik

That Lincoln engine belongs in a '49 - '51 Ford. A '58 Ford needs a 390 FE engine.

aRustyPatina likes this.