Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ‘51 Dodge b-series truck drivetrain suitability in my 30U

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lowbuckbuilder, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Does anyone know if the flathead 6 (230ci, i think?)would shoehorn in generally the same spot as my silver-dome flathead 4?
    What kind of transmission came in that pickup? I cant seem to locate a guide on 50’s dodge transmissions online.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. gene-koning

gene-koning

The transmission could have been a manual 3 speed, a manual 4 speed or a semi automatic trans.

The odds are it was the 3 speed manual. The flathead 6 in a 51 Dodge truck probably has a 23" long cylinder head (as compared to the 25" long head used in the Chrysler), its probably several inches longer then your flat head 4.

Can it be shoehorned into you car? They used to say with a torch and a welder anything will fit anywhere, but it might be a much bigger job then you are interested in. Gene

Lowbuckbuilder likes this.
  3. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Yup, looked back at my notes and you’re right, i wrote down 3-speed. Oops. Is that a version of a T90, or similar? I don’t find data on gearing, etc, anywhere.

Got it about the size difference of the motors. Going to have to make a decision there, it seems. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. gene-koning

gene-koning

I Have no idea what a T90 is, but I kind of doubt there is anything modern that is even close to that 3 speed. For starters, there is no provision for a rear trans mount, the trans hung out in the air bolted to the bell that had 2 side frame mounts on it. It has an e brake assembly attached to the back of the trans, and the bolt pattern at the bell has probably not been used since the very early 60s. Maybe the gear ratios can be found in a factory service manual, but those early service manuals didn't have much info in them, they were "how to" books covering the "new" stuff. The FSM assumed the guys working on them knew what they were doing with the older stuff.
    The trans was probably the corporate 3 speed and everything used the same trans. Gene

Lowbuckbuilder and Hnstray like this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Gene, a T-90 is a Borg-Warner light duty 3 speed used on many low power vehicles from at least the '40s and into the '50s, 4 cyl Jeep CJ being one of them. I think also Studebaker and Rambler may have also been so equipped.

In any case, I agree with your comments about the likely origins of the original Dodge trans the OP asked about.

6. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

The trans will hold some power for sure, its made for decent torque motors like the dodge 6... Its synchronized also so thats a plus for it. A minor fire wall notch may be necessary for the back of the head. It takes up the same length as some v8s but you dont have to contend with distributor sticking up. I think its about 4" longer if my memory is right.

7. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

So, just to be clear, are you saying that A) the original 30U transmission will hold up to some power(meaning it might bolt up to the later 230 engine), or B) that the trans that the 3 speed flathead would come with would hold up to me "warming up" the 230 flathead a bit? I'm thinking you mean "B".
    Also, I have a fairly well-prepped shop with a couple welders, chopsaw, etc, so sheet-metal/tube steel work is not a problem usually, and consequently, I'm not deterred by a bit of firewall massaging: just trying to get an idea of scope before I jump off the cliff here. Mrs. Lowbuckbuilder will attest to the fact that I've been known to jump off without looking first with my projects. :)

8. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

B.... The trans on the flathead 6 is pretty reliable and well built..... I've seen the 3 speed and 4 speed on the back of the 230 running duallys and power wagons.....

That said, convert the car to open drive line is the largest expense. motor and trans should be golden as long as its not "fluid drive" those were more common in mid 50s trucks 1/2 tons and cars. They have a mini clutch with a torque converter.... steer away from that setup and go with a traditional clutch.

9. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

got it. Thank you!

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  10. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

They are a selector type trans, well built but impossible to find a floor shifter for it if that is
    what you had in mind.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

True, if you are looking to buy ready made. However, it is much easier to fabricate a floor shifter for the Mopar trans than the GM versions. I have done two of them in years (decades) past and have seen examples here on the HAMB more recently.

Ray

12. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Many decades ago JC Whitney sold a shifter for the, probably Foxcraft. Somebody here knows, I don't.
    I have fabbed a few shifters, mainly mounts and rods but not for the Mopar.