Register now to get rid of these ads!

•••consider this your warning shot•••

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kevin Lee, Sep 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. U-235

U-235

Look, I don't spend every waking moment on this forum (HAMB), so something must have happened since I was last on....who the heck is kevin lee and from what I gather, I now must look at (3) different forums....this is an improvement...? Before if I wasn't interested in the thread, I'd just skip over it and go to something I was interested in.

2. slammed

slammed

You will not have any problems finding what you prefer.

3. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Well Kevin Lee is one of the fellas who keep this place ticking along, as has already been mentioned, the message board is pretty much still the same but now with sub forums, it makes it a whole lot easier to find just what you're after, go and read Ryan's posts, it makes a lot of sense.

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Don't dispair. Use this forum, it's the same format as the old forum>>>>>>>>>http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59

5. pumpman

pumpman

I guess the older I get the more I don't like change. But, without change it becomes stagnant and not interesting. I think I get it and if I screw up I'm sure the mods will hand my ass to me. Kinda like grade school.

With all that said I like the change and I'm sure we will not even think about it down the road. This thread has been very helpful. Thanks guys.

6. So I am no totally understanding here. What is an infraction and will it cost like speeding or ??? How much for being a dumb ass?

You're not mad at me right? ;)

7. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Still trying to figure out what is a "traditional hot rod" after owning 100+ cars over the last 40+ years.
    The Wikipedia definition is not much help:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_rod

For instance,
    Does this subforum allow Brookville or other steel repro bodies?
    Is it strictly for Flathead power? Carbs only? Oops what about a 283 Vette motor with Rochester FI?
    No aluminum wheels - even if they look like Salt Flats clones?
    Is it strictly a body style for a year range such as Pre 1932?
    I have a few Pre 1940 bodies with "patina", ie. original paint, rust and bulletholes - can I post questions since the motors are missing?
    Do I have to repair the bullet holes if I meet whatever the criteria is for motor and drivetrain?
    If I power my totally stock appearing 36 3 window with a LS1 but use 36 split bones, 40 Ford wheels, whitewalls, and an 9 inch and no FM Radio does that qualify?
    Are radios allowed? Do I have to get rid of my iPOD adapter?

Seems like this should be Social Group rather than eliminating knowledge sharing on the main forum. If you post a link on the main forum to every entry on the subforums the changes would be transparent and not require "channel surfing" from the main forum.
    Should be no big deal to automate the linking with software.

Just my inflation deflated 2 cents....

8. Anderson

Anderson

All the discussion about what is or what isn't, what could sorta be but whats totally not, what you can or can't justify....Jesus, if you don't understand what is appropriate for the purely traditional forums, then just set back and shut up for a couple weeks and be a witness until you understand.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Honestly, if you don't know what a period car is, then this isn't the forum for you. Just use the aggregate forum and you won't miss a thing. I'm guessing you haven't read this:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=20326

If you want to understand how all of this works, you need to.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I actually think if anyone is getting too upset about changes on a forum (any forum!) they really need to step back and take a look at their life in general. If you spend so much time perusing and posting on forums that any changes in them upsets you, then it's time to turn the computer off.
    Hopefully you have a life away from the forum that's fulfilled by other things, and the changes in the HAMB wont really make or break what you do away from the computer.

11. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

BAM!

THE MAN is correct again.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I can understand wanting to keep it close to traditional hotrods as possiible but I do not think that is possible today,you just cant go to any junkyard today and get the old parts that were available back in the 50s and 60s so there will need to be substitutions. I keep hearing its hard to get parts for the old 3 speed overdrives so todays solution is a T-5 as where the 8 and 9 inch rear ends are the replacements for the old Ford and Olds rear ends,we are also in a world with 4 wheel disc brakes so all my older vehicles have disc brakes at least up front so I can stop if someone with a newer car decides to slam on the brakes in front of me. Unless someone magically starts reproducing all the old parts or finds a huge junkyard the size of Montana that was previously unknown I do not see it possible to keep it at 100 percent traditional,I know the old parts are still out there but I am not going to wait a long time to find them so I will use what I can to get my vehicle on the road quicker as I am not getting any younger. I can understand about the frame swaps and other suspension changes being off topic along with some wheels but some of the mechanical stuff will needed to let slide a little.

13. silent rick

silent rick

so if i sit back and study the threads that have been moved to the traditional forum by a moderator up to now, i can assume that a fiberglass body and the occassional radial tire are ok on a traditional car?

this coming from a couple of guys who have a combined 5 years invested in the hamb. can you imagine how some guys with double that time spent year are starting to feel disillusioned

14. Some of us actually do make our cars 100% traditional.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Those are all the reasons why I have so much respect for the guys who build 100% traditional ANYTHING. They get resourceful, when everyone else is looking for excuses.

16. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

If I may....
    Just having pre 65 parts on yer car doesn't make it a "period" car either.
    Hot rods in the 40's and 50's didn't have Buick drums...for example....;)
    Some people don't "get" that....

AMEN....

Things are looking good so far in the sub-sections...thanks to all the mods...

17. Sounds like traditional hot rods aren't for you. If it was easy everyone could do it.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Blah, blah, blah, blah... If you don't understand what goes in this forum, simply post in the forum found here.

If you think the new H.A.M.B. sucks and you want it to go back to how it was, simply view the forum from here.

This ain't complicated fellas. No need to make it so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.