Register now to get rid of these ads!

’28 Tudor update #7: Peaking the I-beam and adding a grill insert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Gary, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Peaking the dropped ‘33-‘36 axle was a labor-intensive process. It was my first attempt and took ~80 hours, but I learned as I went. A second one would probably take “only” half that. Also, I didn’t actually remove much of Henry’s forged steel. Instead, I added a peak, filled in low spots and leveled everything out. Here’s how:
    [​IMG]
    1. It started out like this- with a forging seam the entire width, top and bottom.

[​IMG]
    2. First, I welded a long bead on top of the raised forging seam, then long beads on either side of it, the entire width of the axle. I also filled in some gouges. I used a Lincoln 140C mig, 0.025” EZ-grind wire & 75/25 gas.

[​IMG]
    3. With a 4 ½” grinder and a dremel, I ground two flat surfaces to gradually form a center “ridge”. The dremel worked best in the concave curves between the spindle and spring perch holes. I tried to avoid the beam’s outer edges to keep from making them thinner & weaker.

[​IMG]
    4. I hand-filed flat sides on either side of the ridge… using a wide file for big flat areas and a round or semi-circle one on the concave curves. A “diagonal cross-hatch” motion (like block sanding) worked best. This took forever…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5. Hand-filing revealed more gouges. I went back and filled them with weld, then ground them flush and continued filing. I also smoothed the front and back sides of the axle (like where the spring perches are).

[​IMG]
    6. I tried to file the entire surface (NOT localized areas, which would create ripples in the final product). The goal was to make the whole thing flat.

kidcampbell71 and Mikel50 like this.
  2. [​IMG]
    7. Finally came block-sanding with #60, then finer grits, then rounding the edges slightly to get rid of the “angular billet” look and restore the “old Ford parts” look. 

[​IMG]
    8. Voila! Top and bottom, front & back, kingpin to kingpin. Ready for a trip to the plater.

[​IMG]
    9. The grill insert started life as an office building’s ventilation duct screen. I plucked it from a dumpster during a coffee break, took it home and trimmed it to fit.
    grill01.jpg

10. I welded four machine screws to the back of the grill shell to attach the screen.
    grill03.jpg

11. …and washers to the screen to reinforce it. Locknuts hold it in place and a coat of black rustoleum makes it look good.
    grill02.jpg

12. I’m pretty happy so far- what do you think?
    axlegrillmockup.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Mikel50 and brEad like this.
  3. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Axle looks great its amazing how much time we can spend just trying to get the right look.
    I need to fab up a grill insert for my 29 A just haven't done it yet.

4. A lot of work but the results sure look good,time well spent. HRP

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wow ive never seen a peaked axle before , good job its pretty cool looking

6. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Hey Gary, The axle looks killer, great job