Register now to get rid of these ads!

••• Took my coupe to Austin Speed Shop •••

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry, I'm fresh out of clever ASS puns. This is just the quick story of my coupe and some friends in Austin, Texas. It was a crazy week and I'll probably forget to include half of what happened. But hopefully a few more people who were there will come along and fill in the blanks.

The plan was for Tuck to drive down from Kanada, load the coupe on a trailer here in Kansas City, then drive down to Austin for a week long thrash at the shop. Anyone who felt like lending a hand could, but there was no real plan for anyone more than Tuck and I to be working on it. Bob came up with the idea at the Roundup and everything just fell into place from there. If you've followed what I'm doing at all then you know I work out of my little one car garage and my tools are somewhat limited. I also don't usually spend large blocks of time on the car. So the opportunity to work at a place like ASS for an uninterrupted week was truly a great thing and up front I need to say thanks to Bob and everyone at the shop as well as my super rad wife who all seemed to know how important this was for me.

Tuck was involved from the beginning and landed on the decision to put a hitch on the Ranchero and haul the coupe with that. And he busted his ass getting that thing ready for the trip and we scored an old single axle trailer for the trip. It was great and I can't see any other way to tow the coupe now.

The trip down was nuts. Tuck can fill in details if he want's but here is the short version. Carry an extra fan belt and 99% of Oklahoma sucks.

We got to Austin later than planned and crashed in the bus at Bobs. The bus rules. From then on it was pretty much wake up, work on the coupe, go to sleep. Plenty of eating involved too and I had missed the food there.

Literally within the first five minutes of pushing the coupe into the shop Bob had picked up a hammer and dolly and "wham, wham, wham... fixed the oil-canning problem with the front half of my roof. Half an hour later Tuck had completely erased a giant bullet hole/dent and crease in the side of my gas tank. It was really too much for me to take in.

From there Tuck and I just started working. Mark lent me this cool little screwdriver he had modified for aligning tacked panels as you do the final welding. I had done a decent job of fitting most of what was there but when you go to a place like this and are surrounded with a different quality of work it pushes you. It's kind of like a really good skate session with friends. You have fun when you go by yourself but if it's a big session with lots of friends you push each other and it rules. At least that's the best way I can describe it. So the end result of that is we ended up cutting about half of what I had already tacked or welded to get better panel fit. I really learned lots of little things and made the decision to expand my definition of what I consider "necessary tools". The bullseye pick rules. I'm getting one.

The coupe looks so much better now. A solid piece with a few panels missing and some welding to be done instead of a tacked together shell.

The whole trip ruled. Thanks to Bob and Laura. The bus was so great and puppy Jezebel was super rad to have around toward the end of the week when I was really missing my family. Joyo - Sorry I missed you leaving. Thanks for everything. Dan - the Zephyr is going to rule – just let me know what you need. Mark - now has the baddest street rod in Austin. El Laura - that food was so great. We all should have been grilling every night. And coffee spiked brownies for the ride home were genius. Magic rules, even if he does like Led Zepplin. And the silent ruler, Luke. This guy was constantly pulling stuff out of his hat. "Oh yeah, I make Model A drip rails... here's a PILE of them." hahahaha. So anyone needing a nice set of A coupe drip rails should call him. Oh yeah Franco, I stole your artwork. :)

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. BBobb

BBobb

This type story is what makes hot roddin a hobby and a passion worth persuing.Good luck on you coupe

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That sounds like a dream trip. I would love to get a full weeks worth of work on a car even if it's not mine. Rad time had by all I'm sure!!!

Kevin, I am really digging those tires on your coupe.

4. moter

moter

Great story! Glad it all worked out!

5. Cshabang

Cshabang

Pics kevin>>>pics

6. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

did Tuck ever make it back home?or is he lost somewhere in Iowa?

7. COS

COS
    from KCMO

YOU LUCKY BASS TURD!!! Man that was one cool hauling rig you two had there!!

-COS

8. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Yes more pics quit holding out on us!!

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Tuck is home. But my camera broke the day before I left. I'm actually kind of surprised it didn't break in Oklahoma.

10. HEY NOW!!!!!! Only 98% of this state sucks. What makes you say it sucks? I know it's not all the construction.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A public apology of sorts... I got my dates a bit mixed up and missed literally all of the thrash as I headed for Salina. It was weird... My best pal from Kansas City was in Austin... While I was in Kansas. Go figure.

Anyhow, I was a shitty pal. I should have been here. Sorry Kevin... I'll make it up - promise.

12. Squablow

Squablow

Clever ASS puns is itself a clever ass pun.

13. Love the teaser shots we have seen from the week. Looks like you fools had tons of fun! Car looks killer as usual. T

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That's fuckin' cool Kevin.....
    You know we need more pics of it now though, right?

15. Less than a month 'till the Drags. Hurry up!

16. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Is Kevin's title of "Super Moderator" part of the payback Ryan? That's pretty funny if it is...

17. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

i have been staring at the pics of the car on facebook for days..

FUCK, that really showed how much of a loser i am

18. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, I hate I missed you guys too! I was hoping to get a glimpse of you two on I-35 on Sunday as we were driving back from Salina.

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, Kevin! After seeing photos of your coupe throughout the past week, I'm still longing for more... please! :)

Yeah, I35 through Oklahoma really sucks. I've driven that route at least 20 times in the past 8 years and it has never seemed to get any better.
    I'd say it ranks up there with I40 through New Mexico.

Keep up the good work on the coupe!

Malcolm

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's good to have friends.

21. plmczy

plmczy

It's one thing to build your car by yourself but it's a whole lot better when you build with your friends, especially when they know what they are doing and have the means. I like yourself Kevin, lack some of the tools to do things, but can count on my freinds that do to help out. Great story. later shawn

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...all my friends want $55/hr...:rolleyes:

23. thark

thark
    from Oklahoma

I passed you going north, just north of Fort Worth, on Sunday. I thought the coupe was yours. The Ranchero/coupe combination was something to see.

TH

24. moter

moter

Do you have pics of what all was done?? before and after?

25. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Man what a fun week..... It really does just boil down to friendship. I diddn't get to help as much as I would have liked but it was super fun to have you guys around...

I think that car is on a good path...... its one of the meanest Hot Rods I've ever seen.
    I'm cooler, just from standing next to it.... haha

I'm super happy for Kevin and honored to to have even a little part of this car. The stories of GRIMLOCK and his modified are my favorite EVER on the HAMB.

Speaking of cool, Texas is Hot as Fuck and last week seemed extra humid...... It sucks actually, but Tuck handled it with style...... kanadian style. hahaha Its hot dude Wah Wah Wah....... hahaha

I miss my friend Tuck...I diddn't realize how much until last week.

Anyway the whole deal was Bad Ass I can't wait for next time.

My favorite time of the week might be firing Luke's Cannon....... but I think it might be my favorite time every week for now on..... until we get arrested..

26. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

It was a really cool week seeing these two guys everyday.......I was putting my motor back together at the same time, so it was just rock and roll every night 'till 2am! Kevins coupe is so mean, it made mine look stock sitting next to it!! Glad you guys had a swell time, hope the drive back was easy breezy---See you at the drags.

27. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Yes--the cannon is unreal!!

28. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Must be nice to have a group of friends like that to help your "thrash" for a week!

29. t5stang91

t5stang91

sounds like a great time , just need beer , cars and a cannon to have fun !!!