Register now to get rid of these ads!

Look what the cats dragging home this saturday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodythx138, Dec 9, 2005.

1. woodythx138

woodythx138

Holy shit, this thing is so dam cool, this is a 1940 GMC suburban, has a modern stovebolt 6cyl and late model rear end and a power glid trans.
    Very solid dent free suburban with a complete extra set of fenders, hood, grill shell and head lights.Man I have been dreaming of this for over three years from when I first saw it, just thought I would share the find. Chris

Attached Files:

2. Very Cool. I like the old 'burbans.

3. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

Congrats it looks to be in great shape.

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

that's neater than shit!!!

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Boy that thing is really sweet. A chevy would be cool but a Jimmy is over the top for me anyway. Very cool.

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Man, is that ever cool. My wife wants an early Suburban or Carryall. Like postwar early. She'll be jealous when she hears about that.

Congratulations.

7. slammy

slammy

I can just see that thing layin' its frame rails on the ground. It'd look evil.

8. Nik

Nik

Killer find. How were you able to keep your cool for three years? I would have killed the owner and bought it the estate auction.:D

Nik

9. PDX Lefty

PDX Lefty

That is sweet

10. Kansas

Kansas

That is the the nicest suburban I've seen for that year, what plans do you have for it?

12. That is cool, I like the E-brake. What about a chopped top? Keep us posted.

13. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

SWEET! Just how many of those do you think are left? Not many my friend. Not many.........Bill

14. muffman58

muffman58

Dam, that things neater than shit! Great find & good luck with her!

15. Yeah, we wanna know what yer plans are! Very cool ride. :cool:

16. Hey! like a woman flashing one of her t--s at you to get your attention. Well you''ve got the attention - but - don't leave us hanging! What is the WHOLE story on this find? How? What? When? Where? etc.....:D Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

17. Kinky6

Kinky6

19. woodythx138

woodythx138

Well guys thanks for all the great responce, it's one of those things you see and never forget, when I first saw it I new man that thing is gonna be mine and the funny thing was he wanted a mint for it so I felt know one else would step up,I kinda just let it lay there and go buy and BS with the dude for awhile now and then and kinda drift into a conversation about it and do the old when are you gonna sell that to me thing and always the same thing, I want this in thats that, well I got him at a week moment in life when he just want to claime the space it was takeing up back and flashed the cash and now it's in my garage. The story on it was it was purchased by the railroad department to transport the workers from Turlock ca to Fresno and hanford and back again,and then it was purchased by the guy's grandfather
    for use around the farm and stuff but ended up at his house for his dad to drive, and then he got it and did some stuff to it while he went to high school and pretty much it has been in his posession ever since. The realy cool thing is I got the orig Certificate Of War Necessity that was issued to it in 1940 as well as the orig yellow and black 1940 plates.This truck has a newer gm 6cyl with a power glid and a gm 10 bolt rear, over all the body is very straight and does have some minor rust spots here and there but over all
    it's pretty dam clean.The floor on this is awsome which is wood like the back of a truck bed and all of the windows roll up and down and the inside window
    trim is wood like a woody wagon would be.I even have the gas rationing coupons that were issued to the truck.I think I would like to keep it a 6cyl only do it hopped up and bascily keep it as is I will take some differant shots now that I have it cleaned up, he put factory vete ralleys on it with lowering blocks and mn it looks good.Again thanks for looking more later. Chris

20. woodythx138

woodythx138

Funny thing about how many are left much less in this shape I have already been offered 15,000.00 cash and a shit load of other offers just on the way home, when I stop at a local gas sation, I didn't think I was ever gonna get out of there, funny what people see and just look amazed at what there looking and say I have never seen one of those what is it. Chris

21. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Thats what I need to find. With 4 kids, I need something to take them all over in and a pre 67 burb would fit the bill.

Nice score and good luck.

22. woodythx138

woodythx138

Did I all so mention that I got 3extra front fenders, extra hood, extra grill shell and extra head light as well as a pair of front doors oh and the best part the big 42" oval sign which is a orig porcelain sign came with it as well.Sweet, sweet , sweet. Chris

23. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

oh, so much fun...

24. woodythx138

woodythx138

Funny thing when you find something like this and finaly end up with it in your hot little hands ,you all the sudden get overwellmed with confusion and excitment and panic and joy all at once, but a friggin nervise reck before and during the process of getting it home, Fun we have and fun we love .What a day.Chris

25. hemifarris

hemifarris

Very nice find. It was well worth the wait. Good luck.

26. Wow, that thing is sweeeet! I can't belive how good of shape it's in. Nice score. Please keep us posted as you go along. Shaun.

27. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Chris, that is a rare and happy find! Not only that, I really like your plans, clean it up, keep it more or less as-is, just put a bit more power in the 6. I'd maybe deep six the powerglide at some point for an OD automatic. I ran a 292 in a chopped '34 Chevy for a couple of years, and it was really nice. I could take off in second gear and not even notice. Mileage was awful, though. It never got more than 10-12 mpg. On the installed ralleys, it might look nice to put on something more period looking, some plain steel wheels with small hubcap and trim rings.

Final thought----You could sell it to me for a profit, then take the $ and go buy another one! ;)

28. chopped

chopped

29. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

30. that will make a sweet resto bomb I know people that would give there left nut for that truck I hear there are tons of genny acessorys for those babys hope to see it in low rider soon