Register now to get rid of these ads!

New "old guy" member in IN

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by macracing, Dec 6, 2005.

1. macracing

macracing
    from Kokomo, IN

I consider myself a traditional rodder, but have only hats and t-shirts (and a car club membership) to back my claim up. Been too involved with racing for too long now, but I promise to switch priorities so that I can resurrect something that will give my neighbors something else to point to that proves I am nuts.

I have been interested in rods for almost 50 years now, but have never been able to take time to build one to running condition. That is going to change. I have met quite a few traditional rodders, and for the most part have learned something from each of them, from concepts to welding and everything in between.

I build all my own stuff, and am collecting ideas (and stuff) for my traditional rod. I plan to finish it before I croak.

On the other hand....I do like just about everything (not just traditional rods) that someone has taken time to build, from race cars of all types to billet rods, so shoot me.

2. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Welcome. Good honest intro. Hope to see your dreams come true.:DSparky

3. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Welcome from La.

Doc.

4. 4tford

4tford

Welcome and I'm sure you will have alot to add to the board.

5. silent rick

silent rick

welcome. they still racing at bunker hill? used to attend the all harley drags there. then they moved to 41 in morocco, then back to bunker hill. hell, i don't know where they are now, 66 in joliet?

what type of racing were you involved in?

6. mojo66

mojo66

Welcome from a fellow Hoosier.

7. macracing

macracing
    from Kokomo, IN

Hi silent Rick, type raicng....amature and pro drags, IRL, formula road racing, had a mini-sprint, jr dragster & F/C, dirt/mud drags, keeping one step ahead of the former wife, slot cars and pinewood derby. Yes, Bunker Hill is still open, and is a nice place to race. The new owner has put in many facility improvements. A rod is next. Larry

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB, with your background you souldn't have trouble getting a hot rod on the road.:D

9. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

macracing

Good to see another Hoosier on here. I ran around the Monticello, Indiana Beach area for years. Hanging out at the Log Cabin and Spot Drive-in's, then drag racing out on 39, sometimes with dozens of cars out there watching and running two by two one after another. The good ol days......:)

We also used to race at Bunker Hill where there was a guy with a Cushman motor scooter that could run around 80 in the quarter. There would also be a guy that brought his louvre press to punch louvre's for people while they waited.

Dave Fee from Lafayette was King of the Hill several times with his 63 Sebring Silver Corvette.

THere is a fellow that runs a well digging business in Kokomo that has a chopped Merc in the works.

Hope you enjoy your return to hot rodding.
    Ol Blue

10. muffman58

muffman58

11. macracing

macracing
    from Kokomo, IN

The guy who had the Cushman scooter still has it. His name is John Eads, and he is the person who sponsored my membership in the Road Kings Car Culb. I sat with him last Sunday at the club Christmas party. John must be clost to 75+ and still runs the Cushman at selected events. The whole machine is exactly like it was when you saw it run, except he did put a newer hot water bottle (fuel tank) on it. I have a picture of Johnny and his Cushman hanging on the wall 5ft from where I am sitting. The louver press guy is still around, but not an active rodder. He still has that press. Small world, isn't it!!!!! Larry

12. macracing

macracing
    from Kokomo, IN