Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey guys, what is this "baby Dynaflow"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod To Hell, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

I stopped by one of my super top secret parts hookups, and the guy there wanted me to check out this tranny, since I apparently "know a lot about the old stuff" :eek: .

It's a tiny little trans, with what looks like a later nailhead bolt pattern, and a finned aluminum converter.

He doesn't want to sell it or scrap it until he knows what it is...

My best guess was just that, a guess; but I suggested mabe from a buick 215 v8?

Whatcha think guys?

Thanks!
    Steve

Attached Files:

2. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Pretty sure it'd have to be from one of the baby nails, 215-300-340 series motor.

Starter on nailhead is on driver's side and bolts to block, and trans has no provision for bolting starter on. This'n has starter holes on passenger side. Also 'Flows for nails have aluminum bell but cast iron case. Lastly no really f'n cool finned torque converter on the big 'Flows.

3. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Yep. you're right... I wasn't paying attention, and the bellhousing on this looks the same, viewed from the front, as the bellhousing flange on my 425, when viewed from behind, so it would be "reversed"!:eek:

4. squirrel

squirrel

only the 215 and early 225 V6 used that bolt pattern, the 300-340 use the normal BOP pattern. A friend of mine has one of those behind that early V6.

5. I believe they were AIR COOLED too-right?

6. jdubbya

jdubbya

I'll be damned....I got one right.:D

7. squirrel

squirrel

did the fins on the converter give it away?

8. shifts

shifts

Buick Special Dual Path

9. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Thanks!
    Is it worth anything, or should I just tell him to scrap it?

Steve

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I thought maybe it was a Dyna Flow that wasn't growed up yet.

11. shifts

shifts

Actually, they were a good little trans. Only real problem was that they dont have bushings like a reg trans & if they ever needed rebuilding you had to replace things like drums, shafts etc. The bushings were like poured babbit. Nowdays we turn the shafts on a lathe & cut the drums to accept reg type bushings. Hell of a good trans & super light. Dave

12. Winfab

Winfab

Does the driveshaft yoke slip on the tailshaft like a "regular" transmission or does it have a retaining bolt in the end so that the slip joint would have to be in the driveshaft?

13. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Well then, I admit my ignorance and thank you for the correction. I knew that some parts would swap between motors, so I assumed transmissions were same.

14. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

I didn't even think to check! (I was too busy buying runnable Holley 750 double pumpers for $5!:) )

15. 53chieftian

53chieftian

Tell him it aint woth shit but you'll give him $25 so he dont have to waste his time drivin round to dump it off!:D